Author Topic: How about arena polls for issues players REALLY care about?  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
How about arena polls for issues players REALLY care about?
« on: November 24, 2010, 11:51:10 PM »
Reading the forum always makes me shake my head at the complete disconnect between what people say here and what I hear/read on country and vox in the game. I just don't think this forum represents anything remotely approaching an accurate cross-section of the views of people actually playing the game. But then, I suppose anyone could say that.

So why not put it to the test?

We had arena polls - polls that reflecting the view of each individual who actually logged on and played, not the loudest-mouthed forum warriors - on new planes, so why not have them on issues that are probably more important to most people playing?

First up, arena caps. I'd bet $100 right now that if HTC put up a simple, one-question poll - "Should arena caps be done away with?" - at least 75% of the players logging on would vote "Yes". After that we could discuss questions like the new off-peak arena system, ENY, and whether the recent changes have put the base-taking aspect of the game out of balance, or whether people regard base-taking and strategic goals as an important part of the game at all. One good use to which the forum *could* be put might be suggesting and refining future poll questions.

Of course, HTC being a privately-owned business and not a democracy, there's nothing to say the results would have to be implemented or even disclosed. But at least it would give the company much more accurate feedback on how the people who actually pay the bills feel. After that they can decide whether to listen, or to go on introducing unpopular "solutions" that are worse than the problems and let the game keep shrinking at the rate it is now so they can all be looking for new jobs (and we players for a new game) in a year or two.

I'm sure this idea will bring plenty of flames from the usual forum blowhards who insist their opinions (expressed at LENGTH and with many spelling errors) are superior to and should carry more weight than those of the unwashed masses who actually, you know, PLAY the game (and yeah, by the way, also make its existence possible financially). Which is exactly my point.

So come on, HTC how about it? Don't you want to know what your paying customers really think? What have you got to lose?

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
Re: How about arena polls for issues players REALLY care about?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 11:56:40 PM »
May I ask, where are you getting this info about the game shrinking?
Ла-5 Пилот снова
NASA spent 12 million dollars to develop a pen that could work in space, Russia went to space with pencils...

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 12:21:50 AM »
Spoken like a true forum blowhard :aok
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline CHAPPY

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 12:23:38 AM »

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 12:29:50 AM »
May I ask, where are you getting this info about the game shrinking?

The forum, of course!  :rolleyes:

But seriously, it's hard to say because HTC doesn't release subscriber numbers, but look at the stats. Last tour there were under 400k kills and deaths in LW. A year ago it was closer to 600k. I don't think playing style has changed that much in a year. You can also get some idea by looking at the rank of the worst-ranked player over time at peak hours in LWO and LWB.

Of course, the economy's still in the tank and that doubtless has much to do with it. I think it's more than that, but that latter part is just my speculation.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 12:43:55 AM »
The majority of players is willing to quickly answer very question or poll just from a quick guts feeling, by what they would think it's "awesome" or "cool" or what may help them... and only them. Few do ever think about the consequences fro the game or arena. You can do poll after poll, but that still won't help you much with your game design decisions. Even worse: If you run a poll on a topic, people will expect quick action according to their wishes. Of course will players vote "I do not want caps". But you would alsp probably get a majority for "Do you want nukes with the B-29".

Or imagine HTC would do a poll about collision model. : "A) It should stay the way it is B) Both should go down C) None should go down". We all know the majority would not vote A)  :lol

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 01:00:38 AM »
The majority of players is willing to quickly answer very question or poll just from a quick guts feeling, by what they would think it's "awesome" or "cool" or what may help them... and only them. Few do ever think about the consequences fro the game or arena. You can do poll after poll, but that still won't help you much with your game design decisions.

That is true, there is a strict limit to its usefulness due to the shallow and one-sided nature of the conversation. But I think it would be a useful counterbalance to the very limited cross-section of the player base represented by the forum.

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 01:40:08 AM »
What the players want and what is good for the game are often two very different things.  Hitech has posted a link to an article that basically says, "don't listen to your customers."

Although they make us think we got to make a decision, in reality, HTC picked the planes and our decision was relatively insignificant (but cool).
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 02:31:36 AM »
I guess I don't see the harm in online questionnaires.  Garbage in = Garbage Out though.  If the questions aren't well worded and thorough, results will be meaningless.

Offline Spite

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 06:47:04 AM »
Reading the forum always makes me shake my head at the complete disconnect between what people say here and what I hear/read on country and vox in the game. I just don't think this forum represents anything remotely approaching an accurate cross-section of the views of people actually playing the game.

There is absolutely no question in my mind of this and witnessing that "not fun anymore" thread is my proof of that.  You aren't going to convince the forum queens though ...

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 06:58:31 AM »
What the players want and what is good for the game are often two very different things.  Hitech has posted a link to an article that basically says, "don't listen to your customers."

Although they make us think we got to make a decision, in reality, HTC picked the planes and our decision was relatively insignificant (but cool).
Ahh that is the beauty of customer polls: First you make up your mind of what you are going to do. Then, you make a poll about it. If the poll approves your pre-made decision, you tell the players that you accept "their" requests and follow their advice. Hurra! the devs should listen to the players... If the poll does not correspond with your pre-made decision you ignore it, show leadership and decisiveness and do what you wanted in the first place.
Developers should listen to their customers, but then take their own decisions.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 08:14:29 AM »
{Snip} Developers should listen to their customers, but then take their own decisions.

+100  :aok

"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 08:26:48 AM »
The problem with polls is, you can get almost any results just by how it is worded. This is how very unpopular politicians and their policies have such high approval rates. As for leaving AH and going to another game, as far as I have found. There is no other on line game with the type of game play I find here in AH.
Even this new, World of Tanks game is hokey. I was hoping it would be a cool tank game but is is played with a mouse and even with the overly long drives here in AH, AH is far and away the better game. I will hang on here and wait while some smart fellow like Lusche work out the kinks in the new systems.

R-105

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 11:12:56 AM »
Who wants to be polled every time they log on:

[ ] Me
[ ] Not Me
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 11:41:24 AM »
     I wonder why people tend to assume that their issues are the ones everyone else cares about?  :rolleyes:
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars