Author Topic: New Panther Tank  (Read 21209 times)

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Re: New Panther Tank
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2010, 12:10:12 AM »
Panther needs an MG42 machine gun for AA defense on that ring around the commanders cupola. That's why that ring is there.

(Image removed from quote.)

From Jentz 1995, pp. 56–57
The Ausf A model introduced a new cast armor commander's cupola, replacing the more difficult to manufacture forged cupola. It featured a steel hoop to which a third MG 34 or either the coaxial or the bow machine gun could be mounted for use in the anti-aircraft role, though it was rare for this to be used in actual combat situations.

I dont think it was standard issue.  I'd like to think that HTC would go ahead and add one in, but we wont find out until the game is updated.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2010, 12:47:19 AM »
will there be new keys for on the spot left/right turns
nice ride thanks htc see you again soon

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2010, 01:00:17 AM »
Panther is going to be beautiful.  She is a gorgrous design inspired by the T34.  The one tank that screams for addition now is the M26  :rock
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2010, 02:55:22 AM »
<General Patton> - ack-ack your tank killing methods are unorthodox as h&ll soldier!!
<ack-ack> - Thank you Sir! The only thing I could find big enough to drop on the Panther with my 38 was your M4 Sir!
<General Patton> - And how many Panthers are there between here and Berlin??
<ack-ack> - Don't worry Sir! You have enough M4's for me to find out...hehehehehehehehee.

<Forward Air Controler> - Red Dog Poppa to command. You won't beleive this. There's some crazy fly-fly boy droppin M4's on german tanks out here with a P38!!!! :confused:

<Coommand> - Red you in the hooch again?? :furious
<Forward Air Controler> -  Dangit No! I ran outta hooch two towns back. :furious

<Command> - (Loud commanding yelling in the background) :furious  Disregard what you are seeing. We are sending you more hooch with fuel and 20 M4's for the fly-fly boy. General Pattons complements. :angel:
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2010, 04:45:57 AM »
I wonder what the ammo loadout will be.  

Depending on the source, I've read it carries 79-82 rounds for the main gun and 4200 rounds for the 7.92mm machine guns.

The main gun ammo can consist of regular AP, tungsten cored AP and HE rounds.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 04:49:01 AM by Wmaker »
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2010, 04:55:21 AM »
Play WoT :noid
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2010, 06:05:02 AM »
From Jentz 1995, pp. 56–57
The Ausf A model introduced a new cast armor commander's cupola, replacing the more difficult to manufacture forged cupola. It featured a steel hoop to which a third MG 34 or either the coaxial or the bow machine gun could be mounted for use in the anti-aircraft role, though it was rare for this to be used in actual combat situations.

Looking at the line drawings of virtually all Ausf. G production batches of different manufacturers it looks like most of the production batches had the gun.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline DEECONX

• Silver Member
« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2010, 09:52:52 AM »
I need to start stocking up on perks  :joystick:

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2010, 10:09:12 AM »
Panther needs an MG42 machine gun for AA defense on that ring around the commanders cupola. That's why that ring is there.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 10:39:31 AM by Blooz »
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: December 01, 2010, 10:40:31 AM »

White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2010, 10:49:36 AM »
hey! i was at that museum!

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2010, 11:03:43 AM »
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

Offline columbus

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2010, 11:04:09 AM »

one 7.92mm MG34 coaxially to gun, one 7.92mm MG34 in front hull (traverse 5°left to 5°right, elevation -10° to +15°), one 7.92mm MG34 on commander's cupola, together 5,100 rounds

with the panther we can also add this!

« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 11:22:35 AM by columbus »

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2010, 11:05:16 AM »
Panthers were delivered in plain dark yellow from the factory up until late 1944. This was standard camo for German armour in the 43-44 timeframe. The army depots or front line units camouflaged the vehicles with green and red brown paint as needed. From Sept 44 the tanks were camouflaged in the factory. Three colour camo schemes were applied direct to the primer to save paint and unseen areas were just left in primer. In 1945 the official scheme changed again, Panthers were supposed be painted base green with the other two camo colours applied above. However in reality all sorts of schemes were used as paint supplies dwindled.

The default Panther is from Kampfgruppe Peiper and was knocked out in an ambush near Stoumont in the Battle of the Bulge. It has a late 1944 MAN factory three colour camo scheme applied onto primer. I picked this scheme because it has more green in it than an earlier Panther and so would blend in with the MA terrain better.

I've done several skins for the Panther with earlier schemes and zimmerit paste applied, I'll post screenshots in the skins forum once the new version is out.

You know things have taken a turn when you're changing the paint schemes from matching foureign lands to matching the local terrain. I heard they ran from the factory screaming when directive came down to pain them "Factory Brick Red"

Great job Greebo, it looks fantastic.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2010, 11:15:13 AM »
Tiger could.
tiger came out before the panther and it didnt have the same transmission as the panther. the tiger's transmission wouldnt allow for separate track movement. and ackack i actually looked at the M26, nothing that i read up on said anything about separating tracks to allow for this with the transmission. the only tank i have been able to find information on this is the panther. and i know for a fact that the tiger did not do this.
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy