Author Topic: Why the Hordes?  (Read 23611 times)

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
Re: Why the Hordes?
« Reply #180 on: January 04, 2011, 06:09:26 PM »

Why the Hordes?.......... I know the reason!

They are FUN.

They were fun airwarrior.

They was fun in Warbirds.

Odds are they was fun in Fighter Ace 3.

Many of the players here AH are playing war and war is about numbers!

Remember....

"God is on the side of the biggest battalions." Napoleon

And I when I see posts in the forums about 1 vs 1's, fair fights, sportsmanship, it is a game etc. etc. etc...... I always think of this....

"To the meaningless French idealisms, of Liberty, Equality, and Fraternity, we present the German realities of Infantry, Cavalry, and Artillery." -Bernhard von Bulow

Cav

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline NCLawman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #181 on: January 04, 2011, 06:43:30 PM »

The rest of you nancies are waaaaay too high strung.

My name is NOT Nancy!!!!!

It's ALICE!     :D
Jeff / NCLawMan (in-game)

Those who contribute the least to society, expect the most from it.

Light travels faster than sound.  This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #182 on: January 04, 2011, 07:38:18 PM »
In the absence of rules - and in AH there really aren't many rules governing behavior beyond killshooter - this kind of cutthroat behavior flourishes.  Imagine a basketball game without refs, where players figure out that they can run or shove with impunity.  If the players don't really know each other, and there aren't any long term consequences to behaving that way, they'll probably adopt whatever tactics give them an advantage.  AH, being a fairly anonymous endeavor, reflects that.

TLDR:  Without enforceable rules, mayhem becomes the norm.  Revel in it or hate it, but that's just the way it goes.

One of the best observations yet.

- oldman (when you coming back Todd?)

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #183 on: January 04, 2011, 07:40:31 PM »
Looks like Oldman was the only one that may have seen some humor in my old timey duel challenge.

The rest of you nancies are waaaaay too high strung.

THAT'S what's wrong with this game.
if you cleared this up at the beginning maybe my replies and others replies wouldnt have been so harsh. what you type may be mistaken on a forum for a harsher tone. If you are truthfully saying you meant to anger or mockery in your posts then why did you not correct me when i believed that was what it was? :aok
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #184 on: January 04, 2011, 07:51:33 PM »
if you cleared this up at the beginning maybe my replies and others replies wouldnt have been so harsh. what you type may be mistaken on a forum for a harsher tone. If you are truthfully saying you meant to anger or mockery in your posts then why did you not correct me when i believed that was what it was? :aok

I was wondering how long it would take you to figure it out.

I started out using the  :rofl and  :neener: emoticons. Unfortunately, you didn't pick up on the sarcasm and started getting lippy with me.

So I figured I'd just go ahead and drag you behind the truck for awhile.

Edit: I guess what I was trying to do was make a point about how many of you take this game and yourselves far too seriously.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 07:53:36 PM by Melvin »
See Rule #4

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #185 on: January 04, 2011, 07:59:27 PM »

I started out using the  :rofl and  :neener: emoticons. Unfortunately, you didn't pick up on the sarcasm and started getting lippy with me.

Edit: I guess what I was trying to do was make a point about how many of you take this game and yourselves far too seriously.

:lol oops.

sorry man, i guess i'm one of them litteral thinkers :rolleyes:
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #186 on: January 04, 2011, 08:52:26 PM »
WOW !!!! Wiley, I asked a question, but didn't think it would take a book to answer it !!!  :devil

Thank-you for a well thought out are articulated answer. The reason I thought you were in the demographic was back HERE you seem to be defending the horde. I agree with a lot of what you said, on the other hand one thing I do want to say is that most of the hordes I see start out as a mission and like a few others said stragglers join up to "help".

I agree with what you said about the type of players today as compared to us old timers. I think you have your hand on the pulse of the game pretty well. I think that there is a hope that players can change and game play can get better. I have seen a number of players who where very big on running with the horde and now you see them running mission without hordes.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #187 on: January 04, 2011, 09:20:01 PM »

:D

:bolt:
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #188 on: January 04, 2011, 09:23:27 PM »
 :rofl
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #189 on: January 04, 2011, 09:57:06 PM »

Why the Hordes?.......... I know the reason!

They are FUN.

They were fun airwarrior.

They was fun in Warbirds.

Odds are they was fun in Fighter Ace 3.

Many of the players here AH are playing war and war is about numbers!

Remember....

"God is on the side of the biggest battalions." Napoleon

And I when I see posts in the forums about 1 vs 1's, fair fights, sportsmanship, it is a game etc. etc. etc...... I always think of this....

"To the meaningless French idealisms, of Liberty, Equality, and Fraternity, we present the German realities of Infantry, Cavalry, and Artillery." -Bernhard von Bulow

Cav

I sure hope you are kidding.  Last I checked war is about really dying too.  Don't see much of that in AH.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #190 on: January 05, 2011, 12:13:15 AM »
yes it is a game, like chess and anyone who does not want to get better....well whatever no skin off my back, this is not a two person game its a multi player game and with that comes many differant idea's on what is the 'proper' way of playing, to me in life I am Honor bound in all that I am and do so it is second nature to be that way in game, I personaly feel the world does not think the way I do and this topic touches on that subject, its the 'me'  crowd that has infested the world, some say the 'xbox' generation, again though whatever people are gonna do and act how they want and there is nothing anyone can do or say about it, unless they out right hack the game then and only then will the powers that be have a say in it, many say the game is going down hill, thats just out right not true, theres always been hords and ganging and vulching and Hoing, and there will always be those that apose that way and are more Honor bound, but to try and force others to play your way is wrong.

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #191 on: January 05, 2011, 04:14:51 AM »
I love reading these "Horde" threads.  

I keep hearing about how it used to be and how it has changed.  In the 3+ years I have been playing, I have really not seen any change in game play.  I hear the old timers complain about everything, but when you do a simple search you find something like this;

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,7332.0.html

Even back in 2001 they were complaining about ganging and hordes and such.  

The only thing I have seen changed is the names and dates.

MY Opinion

Fred
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 04:28:54 AM by bmwgs »
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #192 on: January 05, 2011, 07:09:30 AM »
because its fun to fly with other people?

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #193 on: January 05, 2011, 08:43:22 AM »
because its fun to fly with other people?

+1
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #194 on: January 05, 2011, 11:28:57 AM »
Even back in 2001 they were complaining about ganging and hordes and such.  

The only thing I have seen changed is the names and dates.

You forgot the threads are also much longer these days. :D

If something bugs you ingame, you have a big tendency to notice it every time it happens, which just has a snowball effect.  So many of the things that tick people off result from counting the hits and ignoring the misses, IMO.  Hordes bug people, so they notice every time a horde forms, so hordes bug them more, so they notice every time a horde forms, etc etc.  Same with HO's, same with gangbangs, ENY, caps, or anything else that ticks people off.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11