Author Topic: Green guy etiquette  (Read 12437 times)

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
Green guy etiquette
« on: January 11, 2011, 08:44:37 AM »
There has been some discussion of ‘hordes’ and ‘picking’ lately.  I am guilty of both in my sordid past, but last night, I tried to ask on local vox before I dove in.

One time, I was third in a green conga line behind a red guy, and announced I was holding fire.  My immediate thinking was that if the other two broke off, I would take the shot.  (No claims on right thinking.) 

Another time there were a few shooting a set of B-24s from the six o’clock, and, without any radio calls, I slashed through and bagged one. 

A third time, there was a siren P-38J, pulling green guys out to sea and killing them.  Finally, I participated in a three man gang to bring him down.

Another time, I asked a friendly who I knew could here me, but was unsure if he had a mic.  I dove in when it looked like he was getting shot.   

So, if one goes beyond the “anything goes” philosophy, what is a practical set of standards with regards to taking a shot, or jumping into a fight?

At what point in a furball does etiquette go out the window?

At what point against a killer ace is ganging acceptable?

GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
Re: Green guy etiquette
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 08:57:01 AM »
If there is a hoarde of friendlies already on a red, I love to swoop in and put the red out of his misery. Denying a hoarde of a kill?
I enjoy it.

If there is a 1v1 or 2v1, I'll normally stay out of the fight, or ask if they need help first.

For me, it's very complicated and hard to put into words. Simply put, it depends solely on the situation and what I feel is the
right reaction.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »
The MA is a cage match and their are no hard rules or etiquette.  So break out the folding chair and smack them when they aren't looking!  With that said I think Eskimo said it well enough: it varies situation to situation.  If there is two or more on a con, I tend to go look for prey elsewhere.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 10:06:18 AM »
Yesterday, I was on the dead 6 of a spit16, with a greenie off my rear trying to get the kill shot. My own channel highlighted "guy", without asking dived in right in front of me just as i got the kill shot and was firing guns, goodness know where he came from or why. I blasted the spit16 into pieces but in the process, almost kill shot myself, my right wing riddled with holes. I'm mentally prepared for greenies being crazy knuckle dragging bastages, that chase and shoot at anything, but from someone on channel... I found it too difficult not to vent my annoyance. I personally don't mind support, but blatant unbridaled stupidity i am definately in opposition to.

"If your the third guy on a contact, your in the wrong place!"

Some standards are a good thing to have in this game. And those that have them  :salute
"So far the score is Gunzo 237 - Skyyr 0"
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 10:12:28 AM »
Ask, wait for the answer:

1-if no answer, kill it (buy a mic or get yours fixed)
2-if answer is Yes or HEEEEEELLLLLPPPPP MMMMMEEEEE!!!!! kill it
3-if answer is No then by all means stay the hell out....unless you can see he is gonna die and just doesn't know it THEN kill it
4-if no answer and the green guy is taking on 5 on the deck alone (read: JUGgler or PotNPans) kill it because they dont know any better than to be there in the first place in a -25 or a 205 or are to busy pushing flap buttons and deploying landing gear to push the range key.  I know things.

Changeup

There's nothing like having 4 sets of tracers firing over your canopy at a con you are #1 on!  I will start pulling up into the ammo streams from now on! lmao!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 10:18:14 AM by Changeup »
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline greens

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 10:18:55 AM »
BUt killing gangers is soo much fun!! this one time at bandcamp....and this one time at bandcamp.........lol i jk
once i killed 4 or 5 nme in like 3 seconds-they were all ina bunched up ball trying to kill Limbo0 HAHAHA :lol killed them all but Limbo0 didn make it  :(
_-=ELIM EAGLES=-_
in loving memory of OZ <Eagles21>
 miss you bro!

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 10:20:28 AM »
4-if no answer and the green guy is taking on 5 on the deck alone (read: JUGgler or PotNPans) kill it because they dont know any better than to be there in the first place in a -25 or a 205 or are to busy pushing flap buttons and deploying landing gear to push the range key.  I know things.

I've seen him fight, he's like :joystick: ...... :lol
"So far the score is Gunzo 237 - Skyyr 0"
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 10:27:40 AM »
Always ask first.......If no response.. take it as a yes come on in :D

If there is 3 or 4 greenies chasing a red guy, join the bandwagon! (he's gonna die anyways).

Always stay out of 1 v 1.

If someone is screeming help, then do what he says! Get the easy kill :devil

3./JG 53 cheerleader - Battle Over The Winter Line - FLY AXIS - JRjolly

Offline Gooss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 10:28:40 AM »
Occasionally, I'll thank a green guy for clearing my 12.

You set your own code of gameplay, no one else has to follow it.  That said, I appreciate when green guys ask first.  Usually I will.  Unless the red guy made a pass at me and I want him really dead.

HONK!
Gooss
CHICKS DIG GULLWINGS
flying and dying since Tour 19

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 10:29:26 AM »
I think there are a lot of variables that go into the decision.  If I happen across a 1v1 someplace I'll usually ask the friendly if he wants help, if I get no answer I'll stay out unless it looks like he/she is losing.  There are exceptions of course that factor in, if I know the players involved in the fight, if either one would like the 1v1 regardless of the outcome I also tend to stay out of it.  If we're all engaged in a big furball (with multiple planes on each side) I'm less likely to acknowledge a 1v1.  I caught some flak the other night for picking a fight, and pick I did but my reasons were that we were facing a steady stream of higher cons and eliminating them as efficiently and quickly as possible was the only thing keeping us from being overrun. So there's a lot that goes into the decision, right down to how grumpy I'm feeling that particular night. :)

In many cases in the MA being the 3rd, 4th, 5th guy in is actually not in your best interest tying up too many planes on one opponent is often a tactical mistake.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 10:45:54 AM »
The MA is a cage match and their are no hard rules or etiquette.  So break out the folding chair and smack them when they aren't looking! 
Do you wear a cape with your tights?   

But seriously, I am seeing that this is a gray area.  Ten guys will have ten opinions.  It is also situational.
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 10:57:29 AM »
If I come upon a 1v1 "in progress" I will not get involved even if the friendly is screaming for help, "I may have a good laugh" but I will not alter the outcome that both of these guys are trying to achieve. It is easy enough to get a new plane. If I enter a fight vs multiple cons at the outset then I've just signed up for being ganged "which I do regularly"and will not grief over it. I will actually go out of my way to give grief to friendlies who
pile on" a lone con! Now if the victor was the red guy, It is reasonable to go ahead and scoop him off the deck after they've finished, even if that victor is me  :aok

What is exactly the point of jumping someone who has been fighting a 1v1 for a bit? Both of those guys have their tactics set for 1v1, to be "the odd man in" after their fight has degraded to  a low slow slugfest is very selfish and disrespectfull IMHO

I freely give grief when I've been jumped by peeps whom I believe are "good players" and should know better!
I do not grief them if I've entered the 1vs horde by my own choice unless they are basecamping or vulching!

The best fights are always the ones when the opponents are "known" and of "quality" as this breeds an air of respect and acknowledgement that "you will be able to finish your 1v1" unmolested! These contests are always played out in unspoken respectfull appreciation for the quality of fight each peep is allowing to play out! Sadly many "quality" peeps these days disregard this attitude, but there are a few Oldschool hold outs and I for 1 appreciate them  <S>
The rest of the styles of play are just silly.

Also if you are a good stick, it is time to stop HOing.

JUGgler
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 10:59:43 AM by JUGgler »
Army of Muppets

Offline jd

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 11:31:01 AM »
Ask, wait for the answer:

1-if no answer, kill it (buy a mic or get yours fixed)
2-if answer is Yes or HEEEEEELLLLLPPPPP MMMMMEEEEE!!!!! kill it
3-if answer is No then by all means stay the hell out....unless you can see he is gonna die and just doesn't know it THEN kill it

Changeup

There's nothing like having 4 sets of tracers firing over your canopy at a con you are #1 on!  I will start pulling up into the ammo streams from now on! lmao!

:aok +1
Current: Slipstrm

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 11:36:59 AM »
There has been some discussion of ‘hordes’ and ‘picking’ lately. 
you must be new here......
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 11:39:46 AM »
If it is Mensa you are flying with, it is perfectly acceptable to clear his 12 o'clock. After he dies to the one at his 6 o'clock. you can kill that one too.

If you think you are having a 1v1 in the MA, your SA has failed you. They do not exist...   Personally, once I know someone I respect is in the area, I will make every attempt to keep the fight enjoyable for him, a good example was BillyD the other night. I knew he was in the area in a 109K, so I gave that 109K every courtesy I possibly could, including climbing up to a co alt/E status with me. This is tougher when someone isn't in the same model plane each flight, like Agent was doing later.

There is little point in having 3+ guys gang a con, it just increases the risk of friendly fire and it isn't much fun for the one being abused. However, diving into multiple cons and then complaining about being ganged on 200 is pretty stupid too.

Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!