Author Topic: Dunno about this fella  (Read 1839 times)

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Dunno about this fella
« on: February 15, 2000, 08:11:00 PM »
While flying in the arena last night, I noticed some of the usual colorful language that we flight simm jocks have to endure. Except last night was kinda special   . There was some looser by the handle of "terne" practically living on the open channel, "f*ck this! f*ck that!" kinda garbage.

After seeing this for a good long while, I ribbed the guy on the open channel a little and asked "Does your mother know you're on the computer?" or something to that effect. He responds with something like "My mom is dead amazinhunk". Losing my temper, I tell the guy "She shoulda whipped your bellybutton more when you were a boy :-)"

Then he goes private with this BS. If you'll notice he just called scruU a d*ckhead. I think scruU's offense was he bailed too soon for terne's taste.

Just before I logged off I noticed him call a guy an idiot for bailing before terne "could kill him"

I know I've got the squelch command, but this is pure high school bullsh*t, that in my opinion should not tolerated at all. I'm not uptight. I say plenty colorful words around the buddies, on RW, and such, but theres a time and place for everything, and the open channel is NOT (in my opinion  ) the place for it, PERIOD.

------------------
   hblair

JG77 WB's Historical Arena & Events

The ASSASSINS WB's Main Arena, ACA, & Aces High

[This message has been edited by hblair (edited 02-15-2000).]

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Dunno about this fella
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2000, 08:27:00 PM »
Gonna be a perm squelch for me...  I haven't checked the readme in a while, is there a file we can put permanent squelch idents in?

------------------
eagl <squealing Pigs> BYA
Oink Oink To War!!!
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
Dunno about this fella
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2000, 08:33:00 PM »
hblair,

I've seen this stuff before from terne. One night he was on a squad mate of mine just for flying a 205. He was also flying one.  Just ragged on him for no reason.  Just ignore him and he goes away.  

He has a hard time targeting ya with bullets so he attempts shootin crap. Hey!  At least he knows how to do something!

I know it is tough, but ya pay to fly and enjoy yourself not to mix it with such brabble!

Try to forget it and enjoy AH! There are too many good things about this simulation to focus on the negative.  

So ya think terne will post here??  

------------------
Damn Ghostrider!  This bogey is all over me!!
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline Camel

• Zinc Member
Dunno about this fella
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2000, 11:24:00 PM »
Ill bet he does Swag,

But not much he can say, I find that totaly uncalled for.  

Offline NineZ

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.user.shentel.net/vonz/jagdneun.html
Dunno about this fella
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2000, 11:29:00 PM »
Im glad someone brought this up and I agree with you totally on this one hblair.  Thanks for the post.

JagdNine (Musketeers Escadrille)

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
Dunno about this fella
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2000, 11:43:00 PM »
Agree totally that the language in AH has gone way to far. Ive allready sent HT & Pyro screens shots of verbal abuse like that from a few others.

Im sure the Quake type servers allow this,but ive been flying online since 1989 and have never seen anything like this in any online sim.

Only hope this language thing gets better. Im no prude but i do have kids around that love to fly.

Check the language at the door & bring your ACM into the arena!

------------------
Wardog = 357th Pony Express =
== Death From Behind ==

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Dunno about this fella
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2000, 11:54:00 PM »
I was online when this was going on as well.  This type of childish behavior, for some reason, seems to be rampant since we went to pay to play.  IMO this is absolutely uncalled for.  Please people, don't ruin this sim with this childish name calling.

bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline Robert

• Copper Member
      • http://home.midsouth.rr.com/rwysairwar/
Dunno about this fella
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2000, 11:58:00 PM »
i dont know how you guys/gals have time to look at the radio all the time if i look at it for just a second i get kilt. must be something im doing wrong. :-)

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
Dunno about this fella
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2000, 12:12:00 AM »
I personal hear derogatory comments made towards myself every time I fly now. There are 2 people I squelch right after login. The banter on channel 100 last couple of days has been just downright childish.
Having gone through certain phases in flying Sims I cut people slack knowing how frustrating it can be with the learning curve.

I’ve seen it all in four years, been shot down by wingless comets, experienced twilightzone warps, watched jet powered AC’s blah…blah. I just accept them as the nature of the game and Internet

Seems now after 4 months people have developed tremendous egos. People who cannot be shot down by a mere mortal man. The kill is awarded and channel 100 lights up with” u cheater u hacker u warper” seldom we hear “wow nice shot” or “hey nice bounce”. Whinage, some people just don’t know when to cork it, funny though it only comes out after they lose the Ho. HT taught me a good lesson about a month ago. I was ranting over 100 that I thought the guy was a hack (minus and I were both shot down by a wingless burning LA5 which managed to turn fight and take massive hits). Then I heard bye-bye from HT and felt his size ten and half boot on my bellybutton (Damn think he had on his army boots that day). Boy I was livid. stewed for abet sulked awhile heh I was pathetic. Realized I wasn’t having fun anymore ranting about every little anomaly in the game .Now I just replane and think better luck next time.

Big thanks Ht now with the attitude adjustment, AH is a total Blast.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Dunno about this fella
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2000, 01:02:00 AM »
Agree with you Hblair...don't like that kind of attitude either, I personaly only swear/scram on Voice Comms...ask Bee  

Couldn't this somewhat be fixed with a word filter...at least to some extent ?

------------------
Saw/Saintaw
BISHOP'S FINEST FLYING BRICK

GMT TOD page is: http://www.wardogs.org/ah/[/b" TARGET=_blank>http://www.wardogs.org/ah/
 186th Wardogs (Falcon4 Squad)
 http://www.wardogs.org/
"Firepower Mate, that is what separates the men from the boys..."

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 02-16-2000).]
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

ezrust

Dunno about this fella
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2000, 01:59:00 AM »
Wow.  Squelch commands and word filters?  Just send the guy the above screenshot and cancel his account.  It seems to me it's bad business to have children who cannot act politely towards each other filling up the screen with their reproachful attitudes and language.  This is a game for which I pay thirty dollars a month to have fun.  The reason I play this game instead of Microsoft Combat Simulator or European Air War is for the community.  We are all a bunch of computer geeks with a facination for WWII aircraft and flying.  With so much in common, it amazes me that we revert to idiotic racial slurs.

I love the anonimity of the internet, by the way.  It's so funny that terne has to ask if hblair is black!  Jeez.

This game is as cool as the people who play it, period.  It's not good business to have people like terne playing. If it were my game he would be out.  I spend so much energy telling my friends and wife how cool this game is and how we are a comunity with a real passion for the sim.  If she happened to be looking over my shoulder at that screenshot...

I am cutting way back on my Warbirds time to devote more attention to AH but this string and a few others I read today really give me pause.  In a year and a half of Warbirds I have never heard anything like this.  

I say cancel accounts.  You aren't going to attract the mature, intelligent, passionate people that this game targets if the arena is full of childish, insulting, jerks spending their time attempting to ruin the other people's experience.  We're all paying for this entertainment.

ezrust
JG2

Offline Daniko

• Zinc Member
Dunno about this fella
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2000, 02:45:00 AM »
I couldn't agree with you more ezrust.  This lack of integrity isn't something i'm willing to put up with and i feel like i'm strongly involved in this game community.  The hard part is that i remember myself having this ignorance when i was 16 or 17, fearfull of life and it's immensity, it was easy to point a powerfull finger at someone and yell studmuffingot, or wetback or whatever ill-contrived slander just to try and step above my self-worthlessness.  I was lucky i got to travel the world for real and learn that the human connection binds all of us.  It is funny like you say that terne would ask in an internet game if hblair is black.  Maybe hblair is a green chicken from Mars, who doesn't shave his underarms and sleeps hanging from the ceiling.  The point is what's the difference?  We are all here to play and enjoy ourselves.  Each of the countries involved in WWII has and still does deal with these issues of classification and slander.  The U.S. may not be guilty of the horrendous genocide that took place in Germany at that time, but by no means is it innocent.  Consider the "internment" camps for American/Japanese of the time, or  the civil rights movement didn't even begin to take hold here for another 15 to 20 years after that war.  What makes this community really interesting is that behind all these little nicknames are numerous people of vastly differing background.  And we are all connected in similar interest, and for many like me it is personal. My grandfolks lost 10 family members as they fled Prussia during the Red armies' advance. My grandfather is decorated with "nazi" medals and yet in all his fighting on the eastern front he never  met an SS official.  Lucky for him he was shot in the bellybutton a couple times and managed to get out to a hospital.  But the toll that war had on the world isn't just limited to the 40million dead, and their friends and families.  What about all those that survived to become war shocked alchoholics, abusive, neglectfull, hatefull etc.  I think many of us still feel the repercussions of that war. And HOW ABSOLUTELY F**CKING WONDERFULL that we can actually share something of it here, from the comfort of our homes, peacefull, yet involved, and fascinated at the thrill of combat without that nasty side effect called death.

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
Dunno about this fella
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2000, 04:00:00 AM »
jeeezz that's just not tolerable .. and he hollered around beeing so poor because HT gave him the boot a few times.. i guess i know why now.

------------------

Phillip "Duckwing6" Artweger
Flight Officer "E" Flight
Skeleton Crew

Offline weazel

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Dunno about this fella
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2000, 04:23:00 AM »
HiTech should give this BIGOT the permanent boot! Taunts are a part of the game-but this fool crossed the line with the racist remark.

------------------
}]
 JG2 "Richthofen"

funked

Dunno about this fella
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2000, 04:58:00 AM »
Noticed it before from this fellow, but I can't say my own conduct has been perfect.