Author Topic: 109 Hammerhead reversal question  (Read 3032 times)

Offline dev41

• Zinc Member
Re: 109 Hammerhead reversal question
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2011, 07:10:08 PM »

Woah, that is a really sick move to catch on film. I'd say it was a perfect one, yep.

Can I beat it with this? :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxhN3qxB130

I am in awe....and it makes me want to puke realizing how far I have to go to get even halfway as good.

Weta
Weta
Jagdgeschwader 77 HERZ-AS

Offline Owlblink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2011, 02:05:51 PM »
Okay guys,

Sorry I've been a bit busy as of late to reply. I've tried recording my practice attempts a few times, but fate has been working against me :rolleyes: I'll try to capture some footage again in the near future.

I have been practicing, and I have noticed that pushing forward too quickly does cause the left wing to stall out. What I imagine a perfect hammerhead looks like is a sort of cartwheel effect where you aren't rolling with your left vector down but instead turning about the axis of the lift vector. I haven't been able to do this perfectly under 100MPH, but if I start it near that speed I can work with throttle and rudder to do a slow turning arc using my rudder like an elevator.

I've noticed that if I try to do the hammerhead to the left, I get a lot more hang time, it just feels a lot harder to control.

I've also managed to get the torque to flip my lift vector below the horizon on several actions, which is nice, but not quite the way I imagine the move to work that I'm trying to master. I'll keep practicing and eventually I'll get it right. My next task, after that, is to master the barrel role defense, that one seems ruff for me but that might be because I'm thinking about it too stiffly in "perfect symmetry" instead of in relation to how the enemy is flying.  :cheers:

P.S. Where's a good, non-viral ridden place I can upload any game footage for you guys to look at?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 04:10:46 PM by Owlblink »
Kommando Nowotny FSO
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2011, 08:49:34 AM »
I like to use "4shared" (which is free). 
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2011, 09:48:23 AM »
 I want to thank the guys who posted their film on you Tube. (Mechanic & Krumonski) I can't seem to make most the other players work and all  I get is application not found on a big white screen. Thank goodness for You Tube.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2011, 02:17:37 PM »
To watch an .ahf film just associate it with the Aces High film viewer. You can also open the film viewer and browse to the downloaded film.

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2011, 02:25:16 PM »
I want to thank the guys who posted their film on you Tube. (Mechanic & Krumonski) I can't seem to make most the other players work and all  I get is application not found on a big white screen. Thank goodness for You Tube.

Krumonski... Added to the list of names I've been called!  :D

;)

Offline Owlblink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2011, 05:25:54 PM »
Horrible Hammerheads.ahf

Okay, I finally got this up for viewing.
  • The first attempt has me hanging on the prop, I was seing what would happen if I don't counter the torque before attempting the maneuver.
  • The second time you see me going up on the film looks like I came close to exacuting it.
  • The third time I end up rolling at the top and ended up having to recover with left rudder; looks neat but I don't think it would be good to have happen in a fight.
    • The fourth attempt only shows me struggling in a stall spin at the top, the rest was just sad so I cut the footage out.

The second attempt I had to hold a bit of left stick while using right rudder at first to keep it stable, but otherwise I'm not sure what I did differently.
    If this helps you guys see what kind of trouble I'm having I'd greatly appriciate the training or advice :joystick:
    P.S. just fixed link:-P
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 05:32:31 PM by Owlblink »
Kommando Nowotny FSO
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2011, 01:07:33 PM »
Those were not so bad. The second one was the best by a long way. Watch it with the Trails box checked you can see things very clearly with regard to vertical travel. It seems on the ones that didnt go so well you were too late initiating the turn and fell backwards tailfirst before the nose came round. Not bad at all. Doing a perfect hammer head is not important, turning quickly in any fashion at the top of your stall will do, so don't push for 'airshow' perfection, just do whatever gets the job done. It's all just acrobatics untill we actualy have a plane beneath us on the rope anyhow.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2011, 02:31:14 AM »
Owl,

See these two threads. One has a film by me with narration showing the power on stall torque roll

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,272726.0.html

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,286893.0.html

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2011, 02:57:40 AM »
Owlblink,
sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.. haven't been on much.
So here is the deal..

attempt 1
Excellent tail slide!!! not the right maneuver but you fell on your tail for over 1k! very cool move to trick the red guys when you want to get the h*ll out of dodge. Why that didn't work.. you kicked left rudder too late, and you need to pull off not shut off the throttle. Also pull off the throttle as you kick the left rudder.. then as the nose is almost parallel to the horizon, push on the throttle to swing the nose back down.

attempt 2
 Almost, you executed it a little fast, wait till your about 75 to 85. Also, make your angle of climb a bit steeper.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)