Author Topic: Your best landings with parts missing?  (Read 2784 times)

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
Your best landings with parts missing?
« on: January 19, 2011, 09:22:34 AM »
Landing Gear optional. What's the best landing you've pulled off? (Not ditch)

Mine were: B26 with both elevators gone, and 190Dora missing part of a wing.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline STEELE

• Nickel Member
Re: Your best landings with parts missing?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 09:25:52 AM »
110 with 1/2 wing gone
The Kanonenvogel had 6 rounds per pod, this is not even close to being open for debate.

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 09:28:02 AM »
In a FSO frame a long time ago my squad had B-25s and i got in late so i was a gunner for a squaddie.  He lost both elevators and an aileron.  I was in the nose on approach and we missed hitting a bridge at the end of the runway by about 5 feet. 

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 09:39:04 AM »
Same here FSO several years back and it was getting to dusk in that one.  A guy got my radiator and my oil about 2 sectors away from base.  Flew back using the map and altimeter as I could barely see.  Nursed my plane till I could see the buildings and my engine quit.  Somehow I managed to glide it over a hangar and land literally 95% blind. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »
I'll post a film, LANC no elevators 1 rudder, 3 engines, 1aileron, 1landing gear. LMAO I was skidding on my wing for 800 ft towered the field and made it! my other great was I stalled my il2 landing broke 1 wing and the other was a half of a wing did a barrel roll and rolled into the base safely
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 09:55:28 AM »
262 with left engine and half wing out. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 09:56:54 AM »
spitfire mkV with no elevators flown a sector constantly rolling to stay level then landed gear down onto a CV
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 10:22:32 AM »
F4U CV landing with both outer halves of the wings missing.  It was more of a crash landing, but it was "successful"...
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 10:25:17 AM »
I landed, but didn't quite survive.  Still, it's the only landing I can recall that actually had me sweating as I made it.

First FSO I ever flew in, about 8 months ago or so.  I got pilot wounded 2 sectors out from base, we were in a fighting retreat on our way out.  I wound up missing an aileron, a flap, and a couple other bits and pieces.  Plus I was oiled.  As I got closer to home, the pilot wound started knocking me out more and more often.  Just before touchdown, I blacked out, heard my wheels touch, bounced, heard myself land again, then I heard the wheels break and I started to skid.  The blackout went away as I was skidding down the middle of the runway, losing parts as I went.  I wound up stopped in the middle of the runway, laughing like a hyena because the only thing left of the plane was the front half of the fuselage, upside down.  I leaned back still laughing and just appreciated the moment for a couple seconds.

As I was reaching forward to type .ef, the screen went red and I died before I could type it.

A few bad words were said.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Stratocaster

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 10:42:12 AM »
A couple weeks ago flying about 5k over my own base in my 109 I had my vert stab taken out... I spun all the way to the ground, but in the last couple of seconds as I able to level out just enough not to explode on impact, and ended up getting a successful landing on one of the hanger pads!
Strat

∼<<∼Loose Deuce∼>>∼

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 10:44:02 AM »
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 11:05:09 AM »
LOL my "best" would definitely be a week or so ago, bringing home a Tempest to a base right on the edge of a massive Knit/Rook furball that had been raging for several hours. Base was "on the edge" mind you, but far enough away that it should have been safe... or so I thought  :noid

I think I had 5 or 6 kills, less than 20 rounds of cannon left, vapors in the fuel tank, and thoughts of hitting the rearm pad. There were at lease a dozen other friendlies lifting off or coming back at the same time, and all of a sudden I hear "REAPER, check the 190!!" "CHECK SIX! CHECK SIX!!!" "Watch it on the field!"

At this point I'm flaps full out, gear down, probably doing less than 100mph and about 10 feet off the runway about to make a squeeky perfect landing, when I hear the calls and look back to see some sack gobbler in a suicide 190D streaking in, 400 off my six and closing fast for a "straight down the runway" suicide vulch! Tracers are flying by me, then parts are falling off..... uh oh.  :confused: :uhoh

Somehow, I didn't eat the big one. He got my tail, right wing, and engine. I was slow enough that what was left of my Tempest crashed to the runway and started rolling, removing the other wing and prop, leaving nothing but the nose and cockpit of the plane, me alive, upside down, hollerin' and cussin' up a storm.

And yet I "landed successfully!" :rock :rock :rock
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline xNOVAx

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 11:07:29 AM »
Probably a 262 landing with one engine and both wingtips gone.. Lots of rudder work!  :rock

NOVA - Army of Muppets - Inactive

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." -Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 11:08:20 AM »

A few bad words were said.

Wiley.

:rofl

Last week a few of us decided to do a fighter sweep in P-39's, here was the final result.   :)
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 11:32:34 AM »
262 with half a wing missing no landing gear and 1 engine. it felt better than my woman to click end sortie. :aok