Author Topic: HALL SENSOR MOD...  (Read 2277 times)

Offline sheperd

• Copper Member
HALL SENSOR MOD...
« on: January 24, 2011, 08:10:58 AM »
Anyone use hall sensors? trying to mod my rudder pedals and ran into issues  :bhead could use some advise
I can build em better than I can fly em
http://s691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/hotwire_2009/?

Offline sheperd

• Copper Member
Re: HALL SENSOR MOD...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 08:16:59 AM »
This is the wiring dia. for my mod, the center pot (hall sensor) is not being picked up. The center pot shows no ground, but the hall has to be grounded to work, is that causing my issue?

The dia below is how I wired it

« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 08:30:00 AM by sheperd »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 11:05:10 AM »
I modded my CH pedals with the top diagram but I used the stock pots. Did you try contacting CubPilot? He seems to be the authority on Hall sensors.

http://www.cubpilotshangar.net/

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 12:16:13 PM »
Somehow I think the third output from the centre Hall Effect sensor is causing the trouble. What are the issues, that the brakes work but the rudder doesn't? Where does the diagram originate?
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline sheperd

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 12:40:41 PM »
Somehow I think the third output from the centre Hall Effect sensor is causing the trouble. What are the issues, that the brakes work but the rudder doesn't? Where does the diagram originate?

The diag. comes from the cougar site, and yes that seems to be the issue, I'm seeing a response on the brakes but not the rudder.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 12:59:06 PM »
Think about it from the circuit's point of view. What is is to make of that additional input from the rudder sensor on to pin 4 and 5, won't it be the inverse of the value of the rudder position and hence cancel that out? That could explain your symptoms. Is there another ground available? What happens when you separate the inputs to pin 4 and 5? I take it you cannot leave the third wire unconnected as it is with the potentiometers?

I am just idly speculating mind you, I haven't looked on the Cougar site. Hope you get it working Shepherd!
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline sheperd

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 01:54:48 PM »
pin 4 to 5 makes it see the 3 axis rudder, if you do not connect it you will only see rudder and no brakes.
as for the 3rd wire a hall effect sensor requires a ground, I thought about using a separate 5v and ground and just sending the signal to pin 11 but that is a serious risk, I cant afford another cougar stick!!!!!!

I should point out the rudder I have is a single axis, the diag. shows how to mod a single axis to incorporate brakes using 100k ohm pots...not halls.
I may have to resort to using a pot for rudder and halls for brakes...haven't tried that yet. but the object is to get away from pots altogether in my new pit.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 02:01:39 PM by sheperd »

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 02:04:21 PM »
Apparently there's no other ground on the DB15 connector.

If it is wired exactly as your diagram shows, you could try moving the rudder earth to the other side of the right brake (downstream of it, in between it and the earth). Might be worth a try.

I can try to ask my electronics friend for you if you wish? There will be a short delay, he lives in a different country to me.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline sheperd

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 02:08:28 PM »
I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to say moving the ground? the grounds are electricy the same regardless of where in the circuit you connect  them, I'm Guessing I'm not understanding what you are trying to say. By all means please do contact your friend any help is welcome! and thanks!

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 05:05:28 PM »
Just so I am correct here on this Shep...you are trying to use three hall sensors right?

At least that is what I understand from the diagram and what I have seen guys do in the past.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline sheperd

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 09:03:54 PM »
That is the goal, but so far I can only get the left toe brake working....I even put the pot back in center (ruder contol) and just tried the 2 toe brakes with halls. My thinking was the ground on the center hall was messing up the circuit ...the rudder works with pot and left toe brake works with hall sensor but the right brake is dead... :headscratch: I checked my wiring over and over and my wiring is ok....... :bhead 
My next step is to get 2 more 100k ohm pots and try it that way to test if the diagram is good but the sites I have seen even on cubpilots page the pinout looks good
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 09:08:09 PM by sheperd »

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 12:33:51 AM »
Swap the left and right brake sensors and test it again. If the fault changes sides you have a faulty sensor. Might even have two faulty sensors (centre one as well), don't assume anything if you have the means to test instead. You know the circuit works for the left brake, I'd test the other two sensors in that position and see if they're working first.
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline sheperd

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 06:45:08 AM »
you are a smart man, I replaced the sensor with a new one however is did not swap the input signal from 13 to 14 ...I'll give that a go.

Offline doright

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 04:20:07 PM »
Anyone use hall sensors? trying to mod my rudder pedals and ran into issues  :bhead could use some advise

What are you using for the hall sensors?
Armaments 3:9 "Fireth thee not in their forward quarters lest thee be beset by 200 imps and be naughty in their sight."

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 07:56:25 AM »
Just tried this with two Clarostat HRS100 sensors, other as rudder and other as toebrake and mixed those with one 100k normal pot as other toebrake, all connected to 5V and GND, and they work just fine.

Remember that when you are working with hall sensors they always need ground to work as they are not potentiometers i.e. adjustable resistors but sensors with internal circuitry. Also remember to restart the device after connecting a new pot/sensor so that it is detected correctly.

-C+

"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."