Author Topic: Jeeps with AC fuel  (Read 4087 times)

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
Re: Jeeps with AC fuel
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2011, 03:59:30 PM »
     As long as the jeep driver <more likely an M-3> has to search for the safely landed bird.  And has to spend about
15-20 minutes refueling it, why not?  Refueling even a fighter with a hand held jerrycan doesn't sound like my kind of
fun.  Especially since you'd have to use a funnel and they don't flow all that well.

I spent over 20 years refueling all types of aircraft, and I'm damned glad I had a fuel truck with a pump to do it with.
I remember having to fuel an old CH-47 over the wing and it took about 30 minutes with a truck to do it.  Doesn't sound
like much till you realize you're holding about 70 pounds of fuel hose over your head to reach the front tanks  :D
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2011, 04:03:05 PM »
You seem to be very passionate about the "name in the lights" system.  Get there much?

Actually, no.  And not due to running out of fuel.   :neener:

So, since "name in lights" don't matter, is there any other reason for a jeep to be wandering the countryside with fuel?

People seem to think that some would take advantage of this by running minimal fuel and then having squaddies re-fuel them in the sticks all the time.

I don't think it would take long for that sort of behavior to wear thin with most squads. "Ahh so and so ran out of gas AGAIN? Man, I ain't bringing him any this time, I got strafed the last two times I tried. Let's draw straws (so to speak)"

I seriously believe that this would be used as an "emergency only" option, and would provide a little  more immersion in the game.

When I rtb, I do it with the intent of landing my plane. Whether I have 0 kills or enough to get my name up isn't the issue. I do it so my little cartoon man can walk over to the club and get a dance with a nurse and a cold beer.

+1 for a fueling option.

I do run with minimum fuel often and rarely have an issue because I plan accordingly.

Your linked examples above are A. what not to do and B. the exception to the rule.

It took Kessler an entire day to get fuel and get back to base?  From somewhere in England?  Make you wonder what else he was doing.  :cheers:

Hartman was also shot down and captured and managed to make it back to friendly lines.  Not typical.

Nowhere does someone drive out with fuel. They scrounge.

Youre wrong and you dont have a clue what you are talking about so just keep hiding behind ---> "hitech said no" because you're incapable of valid arguments. Hitech said this game was about air combat. These things were an INEXTRICABLE part of air combat. In RL it wasnt fun in the moment but after the fact, I bet some of those guys wouldnt have traded their adventures for anything. In AH it would be fun!

Hitech didn't say no. He rarely commits either way. Why should he? I didn't say no. I said, "why not."  IE, why it shouldn't.

Ditching short of your airfield is part of air combat.  Either you didn't plan your flight correctly or, an emergency occurred which ended your sortie before you planned. toejam happens.  Do you really think Hartman wouldn't trade getting shot down or having to ditch for landing successfully as planned?

Follow Grandpa Pettibone's advice and plan for the "emergencies".

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2011, 05:46:29 PM »
Your linked examples above are A. what not to do and B. the exception to the rule.

It took Kessler an entire day to get fuel and get back to base?  From somewhere in England?  Make you wonder what else he was doing.
Hartman was also shot down and captured and managed to make it back to friendly lines.  Not typical.

Nowhere does someone drive out with fuel. They scrounge.

Ditching short of your airfield is part of air combat.  Either you didn't plan your flight correctly or, an emergency occurred which ended your sortie before you planned. toejam happens.  Do you really think Hartman wouldn't trade getting shot down or having to ditch for landing successfully as planned?

Follow Grandpa Pettibone's advice and plan for the "emergencies".

A Youre wrong  B youre wrong again!

It said Kessler celebrated xmas and spent the night off base!  It's now plainly obvious why you dont know what youre talking about.
It aslo said he refueled, not "scrounged" so Im pretty sure they sent someone to refuel him.

And if you were suggesting that because it took a whole day to get back to base that you have a good argument, that one was blown out of the water by the vehicle sups instant fix. How does any tank crew field repair an engine that has taken a cannon round? Or a turret that has been pierced by tank round? Does a box of vehicle supplies have scotch tape to put the 5000 pieces of human being back together?

Hartmann was shot down 11 times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Something else you obviously didnt know. And more than once behind enemy lines. That's just one pilot out of thousands, still not typical? There are hundreds if not thousands of stories just like his. You need to read more!

And #$%$ NO, the only thing hartmann would change was his years in a gulag!
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »
     As long as the jeep driver <more likely an M-3> has to search for the safely landed bird.  And has to spend about
15-20 minutes refueling it, why not?  Refueling even a fighter with a hand held jerrycan doesn't sound like my kind of
fun.  Especially since you'd have to use a funnel and they don't flow all that well.

I spent over 20 years refueling all types of aircraft, and I'm damned glad I had a fuel truck with a pump to do it with.
I remember having to fuel an old CH-47 over the wing and it took about 30 minutes with a truck to do it.  Doesn't sound
like much till you realize you're holding about 70 pounds of fuel hose over your head to reach the front tanks  :D

Ok since it would take 20 minutes to refuel a plane assuming there was a pump, we should assume that even the easiest field repair on a battle damaged tank would take a couple hours to fix.  Great idea!  lets make it right.
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2011, 06:19:14 PM »
A Youre wrong  B youre wrong again!

It said Kessler celebrated xmas and spent the night off base!  It's now plainly obvious why you dont know what youre talking about.
It aslo said he refueled, not "scrounged" so Im pretty sure they sent someone to refuel him.

It actually says, "Spent Christmas Eve listed as missing and broke. But with the help of others managed to celebrate. After fueling the next morning (traditionally Christmas Day) returned to base where all his Scotch and cigars had already been split up."

I guess the guys in the jeep with the fuel forgot to mention to those coveting his stuff that Kessler was alive and near by.

Hartmann was shot down 11 times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Something else you obviously didnt know. And more than once behind enemy lines. That's just one pilot out of thousands, still not typical? There are hundreds if not thousands of stories just like his. You need to read more!

And #$%$ NO, the only thing hartmann would change was his years in a gulag!

Thousands of pilots shot down behind enemy lines managed to get back to friendly forces to fight another day??

OoooKay.....

I enjoyed the Grandpa Pettibone link. 

:salute

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2011, 06:20:02 PM »
     Muzik, I have an easy solution for you.  

First spend an extra half hour or so waiting in the runup area pretending to runup and tweak your engines.

Second, ensure you pretend to adjust mixture controls during your flight.  I'm sure this will not disturb your ACM one little bit.

Third, if your tank is offered resupply, please simulate your estimated repair time before scarfing them up.

This way you can have your sim, and the rest of us can play our game.  Win-Win!
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2011, 06:47:11 PM »
It took Kessler an entire day to get fuel and get back to base?  From somewhere in England?  Make you wonder what else he was doing.  :cheers:

Obviously you couldnt understand why Kessler didnt make it back to base until the next day even when it was explained very clearly he celebrated xmas with some locals that he pressumably contacted on landing.

It actually says, "Spent Christmas Eve listed as missing and broke. But with the help of others managed to celebrate. After fueling the next morning (traditionally Christmas Day) returned to base where all his Scotch and cigars had already been split up."

I guess the guys in the jeep with the fuel forgot to mention to those coveting his stuff that Kessler was alive and near by.

Thousands of pilots shot down behind enemy lines managed to get back to friendly forces to fight another day??

OoooKay.....

It wouldnt be the first or last time a pilots stuff was split among his peers because they thought he was dead. Did it ever occur to you that he had no way of getting word to them until the next morning? DUDE, maybe his cell phone was broke in the landing!

And finally, I would be happy to research this for you if you would like to put a considerable bet on it!
     Muzik, I have an easy solution for you. 

First spend an extra half hour or so waiting in the runup area pretending to runup and tweak your engines.

Second, ensure you pretend to adjust mixture controls during your flight.  I'm sure this will not disturb your ACM one little bit.

Third, if your tank is offered resupply, please simulate your estimated repair time before scarfing them up.

This way you can have your sim, and the rest of us can play our game.  Win-Win!

Rhino, did you need help figuring out what thread your in?

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »

Offline outbreak

• Nickel Member
« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2011, 01:53:54 PM »
Think this would make for a fun expedition, Especially for GVers, Nothing more fun then running jeeps around but this would atleast allow them to server a purpose :)

Offline surfinn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2011, 02:48:52 PM »
Wow this thread got a lot more debate than I thought it would. Supporters of the idea I thank you, you have outlined my arguments far better than I could. Those against the idea idea I say think of the possibility's. I really like the idea of a jeep or m3 loaded with fuel blowing up in a spectacular way. Hopefully AH will look at this and weigh in on the discussion.

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2011, 02:59:14 PM »
Some how I doubt they will.... too many other things that are way more important.  People have been asking for very easy additions that are significant in plane set and have never gotten a response nor a nod.  However it would be nice if the spooky wizard from emerald city jumped out from behind the curtain and said "boo" more often to weigh in.
They call it "common sense", then why is it so uncommon?

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2011, 05:25:06 PM »
Just browsed the thread, but here is the only thing I can think of...

"HEELP, I NEED FUL, SUM1 PLEZ BRING SOME!"

Only to arrive and see he broke his prop on landing.

Although, it could be entertaining to watch the spontaneous jeep races when a big name guy asks for fuel. It's like the Ankle Humper 500.  :joystick:
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2011, 06:38:48 PM »
Some how I doubt they will.... too many other things that are way more important.  People have been asking for very easy additions that are significant in plane set and have never gotten a response nor a nod.  However it would be nice if the spooky wizard from emerald city jumped out from behind the curtain and said "boo" more often to weigh in.

I would agree except that I do not believe this would take many man hours to set up.  All the required elements are already in the game in need of slight modification.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2011, 06:40:13 PM »
Just browsed the thread, but here is the only thing I can think of...

"HEELP, I NEED FUL, SUM1 PLEZ BRING SOME!"

Only to arrive and see he broke his prop on landing.

Although, it could be entertaining to watch the spontaneous jeep races when a big name guy asks for fuel. It's like the Ankle Humper 500.  :joystick:

buaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA AAA  :salute
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #104 on: February 06, 2011, 08:43:13 PM »
Actually you know what.  The more of think of this the more I think it is a fabulous idea.  Imagine running out of fuel and being able to land somewhere.  Have a squaddie drive you a jeep with some fuel fill her up and then take off again on the uneasy terrain and make it back to base.  It would get especially interesting if this was all attempted with enemies looming or even enemy tanks around.   :lol
I do think however, that a jeep fuel reload should only reload you 25% fuel regardless of how many reloads you get.  For example, if you land at a spawn, a jeep should not be able to reload you, end sortie, spawn reload you again.  25% cap on it.

Either way I see no reason why a jeep shouldn't be able to refuel an airplane and it would add nothing but fun to the game which is a big +1 for me.  On top of that, it would not be very difficult to code.  Probably some writing involved, but pretty basic concepts to add this into the game.

+1111

Only problem is that this guy named Grizz would roam the skies in his 262 using stuck aircraft as bait for jeeps.
Strokes