Author Topic: Whats wromg with this picture???  (Read 1236 times)

Offline BrokenArrow226

• Zinc Member
Whats wromg with this picture???
« on: February 14, 2011, 09:49:29 AM »
I just took off in a P38, and as I was lifting off I heard bombs go off and noticed a flight of KI67's over the airfield and 3.5K. I immediately went onto persuit mode. To make a long story short, O couldn't catch up with them. The P button was engaged although I get an increase in RPM but don't see any performance increase. I expended nearly all my fuel and the closest I could get was 2.5 at any time.  I landed on fumes. I don't understand Why I have this problem. When I'm flying a bomber mostly a B17, they catch right up and fly circles around me, and it doesn't seem to matter if they were flying a box kite, there still all over me. This may possibly be system related, I don't know but there's defiantly something going on here. I'm using a Dell Insperon Laptop with 250 GHD and 2 G of RAM I have FIOS and it's speed is the the one in the middle, not the fastest and not the slowest. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thx MrMag00

Offline groundfeeder

• Copper Member
Re: Whats wromg with this picture???
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 09:53:21 AM »
the KI's are fast, check the performance charts, while they are staight and level ,you were in a climb. The higher you are the longer to climb to them thus more time spent in a reduced performance envolope.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 09:59:34 AM »
This is not a problem of your computer.

You are comparing apple & oranges... kinda ;)  A Ki-67 is much faster than a B-17 below 28k. At 12k, it's about 50mph, which can make a huge difference for any fighter pursuing. If the Ki's had dropped their bombs, they were even faster then. You had to climb up to them, which makes catching up even more difficult. A fully loaded B-17 at 12k may cruise at something like  245 mph, a Ki-67 without bombs is getting close to 315 mph. Now look at your fighter's speed during climbout, and you may get an idea why it's more difficult.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 10:01:37 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 01:55:31 PM »
Here's the Wiki page on the 67: http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/Ki-67

It's a great milk-running plane because you can get a lot of points hitting one or two towns, and the plane is so fast you can be >25K very quickly. I'm talking so fast you might be thinking you forgot to pack your bombs  :headscratch:

So if you want to land a few impressive sorties real quick the 67 is the way to go. And if you run those sorties right your survivability can be 100%. The plane is so fast (especially when it's light) that most planes will either run out of fuel trying to catch you, and the few that do catch you become so impatient they resort to chasing you down directly on you six.

This happened to me once. I hurt my arm so I resorted to going on a milk-running spree. On the way home from one of my targets I cut the engine while I drained my altitude. After a few minutes I hear an engine. I jump into F3 mode and look around to find a cocky little P-47M sneaking up on my low six. I try my best to pretend I didn't notice him and I restart my engines and return to level flight. I let the guy creep in all the way past D1000 and D600 before I opened fire with my 20mm tail cannons. He turned into a man-made meteor rather quickly.

Not all bombers are slow. And not all Japanese planes are slower yet and armed with slingshots.

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 02:32:29 PM »
You didn't think to film it did you?  A film would go a long way towards definitively answering what happened, otherwise it's mostly conjecture.  However a 38 will catch the Ki-67, it does have 40-50mph speed advantage at all alts but it will take awhile because as mentioned before the Ki-67 is very fast for a bomber.  Looking at the charts the Peggy travels about 290mph at 3.5k, which is almost 5 miles per minute, that's a 1/5th of a sector on the map, give or take.  I just did a quick test offline and a 38L with 50% fuel will go from a start to 290mph in about 1:20 so he would be 1/5th a sector ahead of you to start with, from there you would start reeling him in but it would take awhile.  Given enough fuel you would have caught him eventually.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Wedge1126

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 06:17:42 PM »
3.5k yards or 3.5k feet?
Wedge

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 06:50:29 PM »
3.5k yards or 3.5k feet?

Whoops, that just made me realize I forgot to make the transition.  The icons are yards, altitude is feet.  So something straight above you showing 3.5K is 10,500 feet, at that altitude he could have been traveling as high as 310mph or so.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 08:26:17 PM »
Whoops, that just made me realize I forgot to make the transition.  The icons are yards, altitude is feet.  So something straight above you showing 3.5K is 10,500 feet, at that altitude he could have been traveling as high as 310mph or so.
3.5k yards above the base.  We don't know the base's alt, so could be even higher.  Also, your 1:20 time to 290mph for the P-38 leaves out the ground it loses while climbing at ~180mph.  It can take quite a while to run the Ki-67 down in that case.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 08:34:34 PM »
3.5k yards above the base.  We don't know the base's alt, so could be even higher.  Also, your 1:20 time to 290mph for the P-38 leaves out the ground it loses while climbing at ~180mph.  It can take quite a while to run the Ki-67 down in that case.

I eliminated the climb, that's 1:20 from engine start, WEP on wheels up and level.  Throw a climb in there, and that I didn't convert to feet and you're looking at a very, very long chase indeed. 
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 10:26:12 PM »
Others have hit the nail on the head but personally I didn't even see a picture.   :headscratch:
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline BrokenArrow226

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 08:48:29 AM »
I was just chasing a 190 for about 15 min real time on the deck. I was at times my airspeed was 400+ and I never could get closer than 2.5K.

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 09:22:34 AM »
Dirty sparkplugs maybe?

Try this.

http://gonzoville.com/ahcharts/index.php

You can compare up to four aircraft at a time in all the different performance categories.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 09:33:42 AM »
I was just chasing a 190 for about 15 min real time on the deck. I was at times my airspeed was 400+ and I never could get closer than 2.5K.

It would be helpful to know what you were flying while chasing the 190 and which model 190 it was. If you record film, as Soulyss mentioned, it should be possible to tell you exactly why you couldn't catch it.

Offline BrokenArrow226

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 09:39:07 AM »
I was flying a P51D

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 10:16:40 AM »
Again we're not getting the full picture, did either of you start at altitude and dive down?  You had to or your figure of 400+ mph on the deck can't be accurate, with WEP the 51D will do about 370mph.  Which 190 was it?  If it was the D9 then with WEP he'll pull close to 380mph.  The 190's also have over 9 minutes of WEP according to the AH wiki, the 51 I believe has closer to 5 minutes.

I'm more than happy to try and help explain the how's and why's of things if I can but the devil is typically in the details and without a film there's just going to be a lot of guess work.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.