Author Topic: Does LD's flying style make the game boring for the rest of us.  (Read 8962 times)

Offline klingan

• Gold Member
Re: Does LD's flying style make the game boring for the rest of us.
« Reply #195 on: February 22, 2011, 05:55:59 AM »
all that for only 200€ all meat incl. only some euros for some beer, and thats it
Lots of finns inbound this year too!
I will spend the first round of Beer!

I will need a beer when you pick us up around 10am   :D

The Few GFC

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #196 on: February 22, 2011, 05:57:05 AM »
Waystin, pass the excedrin and a brewski... :bhead :cheers: :bhead..never knew ardy was a loose cannon AH BBS badboy. And here I thought in real life he was an executive in a multinational corporation.......

The premis of this thread has about as much validity as the family argument at Thanksgiving over light and dark meat. There is a moral about the end result in here some place. Personaly I like the stuffing and a good red wine. Some people like the mashed potatoes smothered in gravey and slices of breast with a dry white wine. Now pecan pie to me is much better than pumpkin pie.....

By the end of the dinner it's all leftovers and garbage. Next year same time, same place, same argument. Heck depending on the family they even argue over how many times to flush to be courtious. Once for the solids. Twice for the floaters and your mommas nose. Bet there are families that argue over the brand, ply and how may times to wipe.

Looks like we got some 3 plyers, two flushers and dry white breast men in this old argument.......some thanksgivings I change things up with a goose, boar, duck, suckling pig even sushi and a half gallon of sake. The best was a whole roasted lamb, root vegetables in the coals and a 25 year old single malt.

So I guess this one gets updated to the BBS complaint database under:

I'm pissed because you won't play the game the way I want you to because I am an expert on how the game should be played. Subcatigory: Only accomplished 1 vs. 1 deulists really know how to play this game.

So, red or white wine with this whine?

lol bustr.

I just stated my experience fighting them... thats it.

If you want to talk about game dynamics and how behaviors impact it, ok.

It changes the game dynamic so that its all about numbers and not skill but to single out LD for that would be ludicrous because there are many many squads that rely on numbers to achieve their goals.

Now, the claim is that LD takes the numbers game to a new level by being skillful in working together making the sum greater than the parts. Ok, congratulations...

The only outcome of this is, once recognized, for the most part, people who are in smaller groups are just going to avoid your group. Quickly we find ourself back at, 'everyone is being timid, none wants to fight'.  When in reality, no one wants to fight you, because they don't find it fun. Bottom line, if there is no chance of fulfillment for the either party, they will have no interest in engaging you, leaving both you and the other party bored. Fulfillment doesn't mean 'a kill', it may be as simple as a halfway decent fight.

Personally, to be truly 'fair', all squads would  have to be the same size and on at the same time, or none is allowed to fly together as a squad. The bottom line is that individual skill can only take a person so far, hell, I'm not even a top stick and I've successfully taken on a horde, but if the horde is good and organized, I don't have a chance.

Of course the 'Thats how war is' argument always comes up, but unlike real war, if you die, you return to the tower, so death doesn't quite have the impact on sliming the horde, as the dead player quickly re-ups, flys for 2 min and is back in the fight. As long as one side has numbers, they will usually win. Also, because numbers play such a destabilizing impact on the outcome, often, unlike other games where the more time one puts in, the more success one achieves, the lack of this relationship causes the bulk of the friction.

Imagine a soccer game where one side has more players... unless its a purposeful handy cap, it quickly becomes not fun...  hence why soccer games have rules about the number of players each team can have on the field at one time.

Ok enough of my rant on how organized chaos plays out.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 05:58:59 AM by Ardy123 »
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #197 on: February 22, 2011, 05:57:16 AM »
I havent changed my mind about my own experiences and there is a certain logic to this as well in that if your goals are:

1) Fly in a group.

2) Secure the advantage

3)All as far as possible rtb.

If you start losing the advantage you will inevitably retreat. It makes such a squad simultaneously illusive and dangerous. Some of the most exciting moments for me have been fighting to retreat along the deck and the chance for the other side to get their own back  making it more exciting for them.

I have to be contrite in my responses  because I am in a squad and acknowledge LD are very skillfull at what they do and have skillfull pilots in their midst as well as the more average like myself.  

If you speculate another squads flying style might detract from the game inevitably your seen as "having a go" and my squaddies have a good realtionship with LD are definatley one of the more mature and reasonable squads in the game. I am not sure that when my squad piles in in large numbers and destroys a furball its not having a very similar effect in terms of people just turning away.

In an ideal world we are able to discuss things with and open mind and not just pound our own point of view out relentlessly.

flying to live can be a challenge in its own right. and can be extremely exciting for some flyers. the feeling of being low on fuel and 25 rounds in each .50 left, your wingman has a con chasing him on the rtb and you must swing around to clear his six knowing full well youll run out of ammo and possibly have too little fuel for the rtb (which most likely wont happen if you dont kill or break the contact good enough to save you both). The rtb to a successful mission is a harrowing fight sometimes. And everyone knows i LOVEEEEEE a challenge to my abilities :aok
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline dhyran

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~
« Reply #198 on: February 22, 2011, 06:12:00 AM »
I will need a beer when you pick us up around 10am   :D

any more detailed whishes about board service and cabin temparature of my Van?
Is Barre Mai bock at 8c° allright?

:joystick:

Btw. Do you need a Monitor Klingan? Maybe i can bring in a 22" as backup
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 07:03:30 AM by dhyran »

dhyran  - retired  CO  ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~        www.loose-deuce.net/

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #199 on: February 22, 2011, 07:56:28 AM »
I will need a beer when you pick us up around 10am   :D

I admire your self control waiting until 10am.

Dhryan thanks for the encouragement I won't be able to make it this year but aim to be there next time  :cheers:

We are Rook for the rest of Feb as well as March and April and it will be nice to be on the same side  :salute

I have to say I am very keen to see how you do in SDL this year  :x If you don't win it and obviously I hope "The Few" get it I don't doubt you will at least be in the top 3  :salute
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline klingan

• Gold Member
« Reply #200 on: February 22, 2011, 08:36:04 AM »
any more detailed whishes about board service and cabin temparature of my Van?
Is Barre Mai bock at 8c° allright?

:joystick:

Btw. Do you need a Monitor Klingan? Maybe i can bring in a 22" as backup

21-22c° in the van and a Barre Mai bock at 8c° sound perfect   :x

:D

And yes if you can fix a monitor I would be gratefull  :pray

The Few GFC

Offline klingan

• Gold Member
« Reply #201 on: February 22, 2011, 08:37:12 AM »
I admire your self control waiting until 10am.

Dhryan thanks for the encouragement I won't be able to make it this year but aim to be there next time  :cheers:

Well it will not be easy to wait until 10am but i will give it a try  :cheers:

And you better come next year  :rock

The Few GFC

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #202 on: February 22, 2011, 09:11:16 AM »
did this turn into a group hug already?  :cheers:
now posting as SirNuke

Offline klingan

• Gold Member
« Reply #203 on: February 22, 2011, 09:15:31 AM »
did this turn into a group hug already?  :cheers:

I always need a hug  :angel:

The Few GFC

Offline Silent6

• Copper Member
« Reply #204 on: February 22, 2011, 10:05:56 AM »
I wonder how much it would cost an american Guy like me to head out to erocon....... I bet air fare is a killer.

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #205 on: February 22, 2011, 10:45:50 AM »
And you better come next year  :rock

Your just relieved I am not coming this year  :D.

Anyway I will have to get allot of brownie points with the Mrs before she lets me anywhere near Dhryans van filled full of beer and a swedish man with a moustache who drives a pink car  :D.
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #206 on: February 22, 2011, 10:53:22 AM »
did this turn into a group hug already?  :cheers:

I think Dhryan and LD know that when cry baby whingers like me start calling them out on the BBS they are clearly making an impact in the game. I think "The Few" in reality have come in for some heavy flack for similar reasons as will any squad that does well in events or the MA or both.

One thing is for sure in all of this. Its either a case of more, less or something inbetween :aok :rofl

We must be there by now ;)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 10:56:43 AM by Yarbles »
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline dhyran

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~
« Reply #207 on: February 22, 2011, 11:05:32 AM »
I wonder how much it would cost an american Guy like me to head out to erocon....... I bet air fare is a killer.

Just ask KC, around 700$ for the Flight
Additional 200€ for the con fee

Offline dhyran

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~
« Reply #208 on: February 22, 2011, 03:31:38 PM »

I have to say I am very keen to see how you do in SDL this year  :x If you don't win it and obviously I hope "The Few" get it I don't doubt you will at least be in the top 3  :salute

well, we see it like esports, sure we would like to win it again like last year, but the squadrons skills are much more closer to each other than last year! So its allways great fun

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #209 on: February 22, 2011, 09:48:19 PM »
Just ask KC, around 700$ for the Flight
Additional 200€ for the con fee

200 Euros? With todays dollar that is another $1,000 or so. OK sarcasm but soon enough.

I was thinking about Eurocon one day but that whole pink car and mustache has me thinking about to the penecillin video. I might have to settle for the stories instead.

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton