Author Topic: hungarian Bf-109s  (Read 11003 times)

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
Re: hungarian Bf-109s
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2011, 06:11:54 PM »
Cactus, are you sure about the thickness of the "V" under the wing? It ought to be much thicker, last I recall. It was a flag to gunners not shoot this plane down, that it was friendly, so I imagine it shouldn't be barely visible like that screenshot.

Just wondering if you had that right, or not.

Could certainly be. I was going mostly off of different profiles as I couldn't find any pictures that showed it well.
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2011, 03:57:31 PM »
Could certainly be. I was going mostly off of different profiles as I couldn't find any pictures that showed it well.

Hard to find a good reference on short notice, but here's an idea of typical thickness:

Note we have a couple Fw190s with this, and possibly another 109G14 or G6 that already has this. You can use them as further reference for thickness/placement.

I think Hartmann's winter 109 had them. Check that skin out offline.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2011, 04:04:12 PM »
Hartmann is a good example, he was flying over Hungary that time  :aok
AoM
City of ice

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2011, 04:17:47 PM »
I don't have any photographs unfortunately, (I could have sworn I did) but I have a telegraph included in Luftwaffe Camouflage & Markings Volume Two that states that the V is supposed to be "open toward the direction of flight flight with angle of 45 degrees and arms 25 centimeters broad (...) The arms of the victor to be carried over the leading edge of wing to upper side for distance of 60 centimeters to permit recognition from above also."

I've never seen any reference to the second part, however empirical evidence is provided with:
"The speed with which the ground staff had been required to apply these markings did not allow for absolute accuracy. When the Fw 190F-8R-1, WNr 931884 was being restored by the National Space and Air Museum staff in Washington, the original tactical markings were carefully measured. (...) The Victor marking was found to be 28cm wide, not 25cm, and extended over the wing leading edge for 56cm on the outboard section and 38 cm inboard, not 60cm overall as specified. Not significant differences, and understandable under field conditions."

It's therefore safe to say that following these instructions would provide the best possible representation of the marking that probably appeared on this aircraft.

you can then pictures from the Air & Space Museum's restoration, potentially the best reference considering that they were precise enough to take measurements (and note measurements only a few centimeters off from the orders)

« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 04:21:32 PM by Motherland »

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2011, 12:25:27 AM »
Thanks - I appreciate the detailed responses. It shall be fixed. :cheers:
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2011, 04:58:12 AM »
Awesome looking G-14, cactus! :aok

I've always thought that those simplified black outlined Hungarian national insignias looked badass. :cool:
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2011, 11:27:31 AM »
Cactus your skins are just superb!