Author Topic: Looking for some advice on become a better fighter Pilot  (Read 1362 times)

Offline Ultimate

• Zinc Member
Looking for some advice on become a better fighter Pilot
« on: February 24, 2011, 08:14:14 AM »
just what the title says im looking to improove my performance and aim etc.... If anyone could give me a hand would be real appreciated  :airplane:

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Looking for some advice on become a better fighter Pilot
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 08:36:27 AM »
just what the title says im looking to improove my performance and aim etc.... If anyone could give me a hand would be real appreciated  :airplane:

Good for you!

Here's the best advice:  http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=shaw+fighter+tactics

- oldman

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 10:46:58 AM »
When you fly offline you can use the Tab key to select one of the drones and you'll see a green cross showing you where to aim to hit your target. In the training arena you can use Ctrl-Tab to turn on friendly lock then Tab to select a player. Be sure to ask permission before shooting at a player but just putting your gunsight on the cross and learning the sight picture is useful even when you don't shoot.

For general help look for a trainer in the training arena or post the times you can be available for training since the trainers have a variety of schedules. I assume you've read the help section and the trainer's page linked on the Aces High main page.

Offline Ultimate

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 01:28:21 PM »
Well im available during the week from 3:30pm to 6:30 pm eastern standard Time so if tuer are any available trainers let me Know and we can possibly set something up.

Thanks for the info tho :) :rock

Offline Ultimate

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 05:23:38 PM »
Bump*** sorry if it isnt allowed

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 05:53:30 PM »

Reading and getting with a trainer as has been said....Also choose a plane and stick with it for a few tours...win or lose....something that is a good platform could be the spit 8 ( don't worry about those who cry about spits ) I say this because you then have the seafire to use for CV ops also allowing you to have and keep a similar performance and guns platform through the tours ( and because they can be forgiving)

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 01:05:48 AM »
Agree with everything posted thus far.  Here's some points from the Dicta Muzzy:

1. Make sure your views are set correctly and make sure your view buttons are set so you can fly while looking in different directions.  If you have a joystick with a hat switch, set the "up" view for your off hand, so that while holding it down you will be able to use your hat switch to view the up/left, up/right, up/back, and up/front views.

2. Fly in the Dueling Arena.  You can experiment freely without fear of affecting your score or perk points (not that score matters all that much anyways) and you will get more combat time in.

3. Practice your gunnery on offline drones.  Guns are different for every bird, so practice for every plane you fly.

4. Read up on every plane you might face, and take the time to do check rides in the TA or offline so you know what you are up against.

5. Learn throttle and dive management. Overshoots and blacking out are two of the most common mistakes you can make.  Throttle back, learn how to dump speed when you need to, and practice flying on the edge of stalling and blacking out.  You want the edges of your screen to go black, but you never want to see everything go dark.

6. Convergence is a matter of preference, but remember your best shots are going to come at 400 yards or less.  

7. Learn to think in three dimensions.  Being able to loop and roll effectively and learning to track your targets while doing so will give you a big advantage.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 01:13:59 AM by Muzzy »

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 02:16:04 AM »
Once you get over the basics, the thing that will help you the most is to understand WHY you got shot down and what you should have done instead. The only way to do it is to record your flights and watch the interesting ones later in the film viewer. You will see exactly what you saw including the head movements and can turn trailers on to see the real flight paths of the planes. If they pull maneuvers you want to learn, jump into their seats and see how it looks from their side.

Then you will understand why the spit 5 out zoomed your K4, how that Jug out-turned your spit and how long you were not checking your 6 and all the other things your SA has missed.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 09:39:17 AM »
4. Read up on every plane you might face, and take the time to do check rides in the TA or offline so you know what you are up against.
Ideally you would read up and then go to the TA/offline to match what you read with what it's like in practice.  It'll cement what you read about those planes and improve your sense of what to expect in practice, from just reading performance descriptions on paper. 

My advice- Fix your gaming ergonomics so they disappear. Remove any distractions, set your chair and screen and controllers as comfortably as you can, so that there's as little sensible buffer between you and the plane you're piloting.  Once you've got that out of the way, learn your plane inside-out, so that you can devote all your attention not to making the plane do what you want but on SA, and what you and the other guy will do next.

Every little distraction, sliding keyboard, out of reach mouse, slippery hat switch, is a handicap.  It all adds up quicker than you might expect.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Ultimate

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 12:59:47 PM »
Well im ready to get with a trainer but Im not sure how to go abouts doing so..

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 01:10:47 PM »
I think ah2trainers@hitechcreations.com is the address you're looking for.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 01:32:56 PM »
Well im ready to get with a trainer but Im not sure how to go abouts doing so..

There is often a trainer in the TA during the times you posted. Even if no trainer is present there are usually people to practice with. I'm generally in the TA Saturday mornings ET if you can't find anyone during the weekday afternoons.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 01:53:58 PM »
FLS can you confirm that's the right addie?  Don't wanna mislead people.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 04:03:31 PM »
Sorry Moot I should have caught that. That address just gives an auto answer now.The best way to contact a trainer is to post here in this forum.