Author Topic: Gas Prices  (Read 1837 times)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Re: Gas Prices
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2011, 09:06:50 AM »
See Rule #14
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 09:36:03 AM by Skuzzy »
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2011, 09:10:17 AM »
Okay what car is available that does this (besides the $150,000 tesla roadster or one you make in your garage) at this time?

The Nissan leaf, for example.

-Penguin

PS Thanks for telling me the name of that car- it looks awesome!

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2011, 09:12:10 AM »
we'd have to kick a few tree huggers outta the way to get at that oil though....

The problem is that the oil is trapped in tiny little pockets which are quite far apart.  Yes, there is that much oil, but we'd need so many new wells that it would become unprofitable.  On the anti-treehugger note, do you really want to live in an industrial wasteland just so you can hear your engine roar?

-Penguin

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2011, 09:22:18 AM »
Yes! Which means Diesel should ALWAYS be cheaper than gas. It's how you know you're getting ripped off. It's more  :x to them that way.  :bhead :furious

it is. if you do a little research on diesel engines, you'll find that they weren't even designed to run on diesel fuel. they were originally designed to run on(i think...i'd have to go looking again) peanut oil. they were designed for farmers to be able to run on their own fuel.

it was one of the larger oil companies(i forget which one) that realized there was a market for their "waste" product which was created from refining gasoline.
 if you've seen these sites showing ya how to run on bio-diesel? it's made from cooking oil.

BTW....there's not much difference between diesel, kerosene, home heating oil, and i think even jet a fuel.

I thought so.  I recall when Diesel prices were lower than gasoline (like they should be)....back when I wanted a diesel...Now I'm glad I have a gas burner.

-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2011, 09:22:49 AM »
The Nissan leaf, for example.

-Penguin

PS Thanks for telling me the name of that car- it looks awesome!

and what is the range on the leaf at highway speed? i think it's less than 200 miles. then you need to charge for 8 hours. so this means that a 2 day trip from nj to florida will now take a week, rather than 2 days.

no good.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2011, 09:23:38 AM »
The problem is that the oil is trapped in tiny little pockets which are quite far apart.  Yes, there is that much oil, but we'd need so many new wells that it would become unprofitable.  On the anti-treehugger note, do you really want to live in an industrial wasteland just so you can hear your engine roar?

-Penguin

it will not turn us into an industrial wasteland. you're falling for the propaganda they feed you in school.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2011, 09:27:12 AM »
and what is the range on the leaf at highway speed? i think it's less than 200 miles. then you need to charge for 8 hours. so this means that a 2 day trip from nj to florida will now take a week, rather than 2 days.

no good.

If I were going that far, I'd fly.  No way am I going to spend two days in a car!  Furthermore, 200 miles is plenty, 50 miles to work, 50 miles back (if you even go that far), and you still have 100 miles left to do whatever you want.  Honestly, if you're driving that far daily, you should consider relocating.

-Penguin

Offline klingan

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2011, 09:33:55 AM »
Sweden 2.12$ liter (8.12$ gallon?)

Stop complaining  :D

The Few GFC

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2011, 09:35:10 AM »
If I were going that far, I'd fly.  No way am I going to spend two days in a car!  Furthermore, 200 miles is plenty, 50 miles to work, 50 miles back (if you even go that far), and you still have 100 miles left to do whatever you want.  Honestly, if you're driving that far daily, you should consider relocating.

-Penguin

no, 200 miles is not plenty. i will not be limited due to this.

for the record, it takes my mom 2 days. she makes it to dunn north carolina. then the next day she gets in at dinner time.

when i go, the longest it's taken me is 24 hours. the quickest i've made it is 14.5 hours.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2011, 09:38:28 AM »
no, 200 miles is not plenty. i will not be limited due to this.

You just contradicted yourself.  Explain to me why you're spending at least 3 hours on the road daily.  (This is assuming a steady speed of 60 mph)

-Penguin

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2011, 09:41:56 AM »
You just contradicted yourself.  Explain to me why you're spending at least 3 hours on the road daily.  (This is assuming a steady speed of 60 mph)

-Penguin

i fill my tank up once a week. i drive 8 miles each way to work. i then drive 17 miles to work in philly. once a week, i drive 40 miles each way to mcguire afb.
 i would need to plug in at each place to be assured of being able to make the trips. a lot of my driving is night driving.

i often travel extensive distances to purchase parts for my hot rods. i drove to hershey pa recently to buy parts for my fairmont. with this car, i'd have had to stay there, and charge for nearly 87 hours before i could come home.

bad idea.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2011, 09:43:48 AM »
I thought we had it rough at $1.35

Almost makes the $1.21 a liter here seem cheap and I thought Canada had the worlds largest known oil supply....Oh ya 65 cents of that is tax...........

:salute

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2011, 09:44:07 AM »
A friend of mine got a Leaf.  It only lasts about 80 miles (from a full charge) at freeway speeds.  He has returned it as he was getting paranoid about being dead on the side of the road all the time.  No one needs that stress added to their lives.

It is a shame the EPA practically blocks all diesel engine based cars, as the Mini Diesel gets over 75MPG and is slightly quicker than the base Mini.  I would be happy to pay 30% more for fuel, and get 50% better gas mileage.  Seems like a win to me.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2011, 09:56:58 AM »
^^^

Couldn't agree more,diesel technology has come a long way the last few years,both emmissions and fuel milage have increased. Add in the fact that biodiesel will work in almost all the new diesels and I think North America has to look at what they've been doing in Europe as far as diesel cars go.

:salute

PS: a diesel/electric hybred has been powering buses in Europe for sometime now,this seems like a viable option but we dont see the auto makers going that route do we!!! :o

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2011, 10:07:29 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 10:11:57 AM by Skuzzy »