Author Topic: If I lived on the West Coast  (Read 5312 times)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: If I lived on the West Coast
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2011, 12:37:35 PM »
If anything it might be worth it to get some Potassium Iodate Pills or Liquid for your first aid kit.

I am not joking.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline TheflyingElk

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2011, 04:19:05 PM »
ok I will bite, if humor was not your intent then pray tell what was your intention?
Nothing in my posts suggests humor.

<S> Oz
   Possibly to incite fear or misinformation? just wondering :huh
You dragged the dead horse into the yard and handed out the bats, sir.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2011, 04:20:48 PM »
The only thing keeping the rest of the world out of the Japan problem is the wind near Japan right now.  There is no misinformation at all in his post.   :salute

ok I will bite, if humor was not your intent then pray tell what was your intention?   Possibly to incite fear or misinformation? just wondering :huh

Now most people call me somewhat anxious but..........  I am still here!  
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 04:23:38 PM by LLogann »
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline RoGenT

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2011, 07:35:17 PM »
 :huh
:salute Your fellow pony dweeb today!
Offical Knight Morale Officer
#1 Punk Knight on Vtards Hit List
Proud Pig!

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2011, 08:02:02 AM »
ok I will bite, if humor was not your intent then pray tell what was your intention?   Possibly to incite fear or misinformation? just wondering :huh
Incite fear? There's a Nuclear crisis and I'm trying to incite fear?
I'm scared, worried. I have kids and Grandchildren. I'm scared for what future generations
will have to deal with because of this too.
If you're not at this point, you're a blind fool.

<S> Oz
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 08:04:36 AM by ozrocker »
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline DA98

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2011, 09:15:00 AM »
I'm scared, worried. I have kids and Grandchildren. I'm scared for what future generations

<S> Oz

Man, the West Woast is 4.500 miles from Fukushima. I'm sure there was a lot more danger from exposure to radiactive particles during the atmospheric nuclear tests of the fifties and early sixties, and I haven't heard of any zombie uprising on north america on the last decades.

From Wikipedia:

"Per capita thyroid doses in the continental United States of Iodine-131 resulting from all exposure routes from all atmospheric nuclear tests conducted at the Nevada Test Site."

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2011, 12:02:21 PM »
I haven't heard of any zombie uprising on north america on the last decades.

Guess you havent been on the Vegas Strip from 3 to 7 am  lol
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2011, 12:15:12 PM »
***NEWS FLASH***

MBailey was seen entering the the woods around Coopersburg Pa with what could only be described as a large carving knife, a bag of potatoes and a smile. When confronted about it he says " I just want to let the world know of my love for CAPS and .....is that thing on???" :bhead

He ran inside again and wasn't seen exiting his house. More at 7.

LawnDart

PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2011, 12:31:43 PM »
As far an their use in a nuclear disaster, making the public feel safer.  They help protect the thyroid, which is useless when your entire body is exposed to a dose.

The rest of your body is being exposed temporarily by an outside source, thyroid stores it permanently in your throat. Quite a difference.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline warhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2011, 02:35:02 PM »
The rest of your body is being exposed temporarily by an outside source, thyroid stores it permanently in your throat. Quite a difference.

The reactors in Japan are not releasing radiation that iodine pills would protect you against
But let irrational fear stay alive  :aok
warhed
=Wings of Terror=

"Give me sheep, or give me death!"

Offline warhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2011, 03:01:31 PM »
I have also heard of out of date iodine pills being sold in California.  There is also a rush in people stocking up in them.
Taking old medicines, and buying medicine from untrusted sources will kill and harm more people than the radiation will (which will be zero in California).
Fear mongering at it's finest.

The nuclear industry in this country makes sure each plant has enough iodine pills for all those in harm's way of it's reactors by the way, although I have yet to meet a nuclear worker (plant workers or travelling contractors) who ever took an iodine pill. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 03:03:38 PM by warhed »
warhed
=Wings of Terror=

Offline warhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2011, 03:06:48 PM »
Iodine pills only protect against radioactive forms of Iodine (which are not being emitted in Japan).  They also must be taken within a few hours of exposure.  You don't just pop a few here and there and call yourself safe.
warhed
=Wings of Terror=

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2011, 03:39:49 PM »
I have also heard of out of date iodine pills being sold in California.  There is also a rush in people stocking up in them.
Taking old medicines, and buying medicine from untrusted sources will kill and harm more people than the radiation will (which will be zero in California).
Fear mongering at it's finest.

The nuclear industry in this country makes sure each plant has enough iodine pills for all those in harm's way of it's reactors by the way, although I have yet to meet a nuclear worker (plant workers or travelling contractors) who ever took an iodine pill. 

Nuclear workers do not get exposed to radioactive iodine at their work since it gets released only on major accidents. How would you meet one? And spare me the story about the soviet - they give glowing toys to kids. Yes, that kind of glowing lol.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline warhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2011, 03:43:18 PM »
Nuclear workers do not get exposed to radioactive iodine at their work since it gets released only on major accidents. How would you meet one? And spare me the story about the soviet - they give glowing toys to kids. Yes, that kind of glowing lol.

Those in Japan are not being exposed to radioactive forms of Iodine either.  Why should they be taking them?
As far as the Soviet comment, I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say.
warhed
=Wings of Terror=

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2011, 07:10:34 PM »

<S> Oz

I can draw on a napkin the concept of a modern operational nuclear power plant and reactor assembly in detail, can you?  Be careful who you call a blind fool, especialy when the industry has had two very memorable and noteworthy disasters already caused by a couple that it's learned from and taken the lessons from forward with them.

I've been following the news on the situation very closely, what concerns me is that it is only as the media is portraying it.  The best I can assume from the bits the media does pass through that's useful is the plants performed the best they could (the one in the worse shape had three active reactors going when the quake hit, was designed decades ago, and to survive a 7.0 eathquake.  given the situation it has performed superbly and above design specs.  however the management and operators at the plant, who elected to push and fight for a 10-year extension on the plant's life beyond its safe lifespan that expired this february, who are in charge of forming and executing disaster management plans, who have made questionable and delayed decisions in the aftermath of this quake (big surprise since they fought with the IAEA to extend the life of the plant 10-years beyond what it had been safely designed to handle, and directly against safety and modernizing the plant)), however some glaring human-errors may be at fault for what's going on here with the critical situation that has developed.

I'm afraid this is going to be a situation where the atomic energy industry suffers a very high price and setback for the actions and decisions of money-grubbing dolts who should never of been in the position to own or manage one of these facilities.  IE:  If you give one hospital to a management team of doctors and nurses, and give an identical hospital to a team of lawyers and accountants, and see what the results are gonna be down the road or in the face of a natural disaster, which one will of saved the most lives and have the better facilities, staff and technology?

Also, do yourself a favor in regards to your OP, read up on the historical Crossroads nuclear tests, in particular why it was stopped imediatley after Test Shot B (explosion two of three planned) and C was cancelled.  As this is non-atmospheric, I really do hope there are more idiots in this country like you so maybe the property prices will finally drop and be reasonable out here where I live and intend to keep doing so, third-arm and all :rolleyes: .
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 07:16:48 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.