Author Topic: To any A&Ps out there.......  (Read 2311 times)

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
To any A&Ps out there.......
« on: March 14, 2011, 04:38:24 PM »
My family is currently looking at purchasing a Cessna 172 with a continental O-300 in it. One of my friends who is an A&P (And also very opinionated) doesnt like them at all. I was curious what some of you thought, as I have read good things about them online.

Also, the engine in question has 100 hours on it after a total overhaul (1800 TBO)
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: To any A&Ps out there.......
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 04:53:12 PM »
My family is currently looking at purchasing a Cessna 172 with a continental O-300 in it. One of my friends who is an A&P (And also very opinionated) doesnt like them at all. I was curious what some of you thought, as I have read good things about them online.

Also, the engine in question has 100 hours on it after a total overhaul (1800 TBO)

I can onlhy give my opinion from flying them.....i like the 172 a lot. it's not the fastest thing out there...but it's reliable, easy to fly, and seems fairly reasonable to maintain.

i thought 172's had  o-360's? what year is it? what model? what kind of equip.?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 04:53:43 PM »
I'm not an A&P but the 300 is smoother than the 320 and if you lose a cylander you have a better chance of making it to an airstrip but when it comes time for an overhaul, is more expensive due to the 6 cyl rather than the 4.  The 320 has a touch better accelleration, and a lower fuel burn rate but in my opinion that's not enough to tip the scales either way.  
AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 04:58:46 PM »
I can onlhy give my opinion from flying them.....i like the 172 a lot. it's not the fastest thing out there...but it's reliable, easy to fly, and seems fairly reasonable to maintain.

i thought 172's had  o-360's? what year is it? what model? what kind of equip.?

Its a 1963 172, Ill copy & paste the ad from barnstormers, along with some pictures

BEST DEAL EVER! • incredible books, incredible plane, late model engine with new style starter, 100 hrs on engine, 6 new clys, crank, mags, plugs, oil filter, windshield, tires, dg, vaccum pump, harness belts, annual done April 2011, $32k in receipts 2/ 2010, 3900 tt. No hail damage, one owner 25 years(hangered) , will deliver. 775 827 2786 PRORATED 1800tbo ENGINE WARRANTY TO 2013. Will partner in Reno. Nobody spends $32k in upgrades and then sells, bought for a doctor's wife to get license then upgraded. I bought open cockpit and rarely fly.1963

"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 04:59:24 PM »
I'm not an A&P but the 300 is smoother than the 320 and if you lose a cylander you have a better chance of making it to an airstrip but when it comes time for an overhaul, is more expensive due to the 6 cyl rather than the 4.  The 320 has a touch better accelleration, and a lower fuel burn rate but in my opinion that's not enough to tip the scales either way.  

aahh......that's where i got messed up. this must be an older one with a 6 cylinder?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 04:59:41 PM »
My dad has talked to him on the phone, he is willing to fly it from reno to new braunfels for $700, and if we dont like it, he will fly it back.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 05:00:17 PM »
and all it needs to get certified for IFR is a new glideslope

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 05:03:02 PM »

aahh......that's where i got messed up. this must be an older one with a 6 cylinder?

Yeah, the newer ones are a bit heavier so they went to the 360.

EDIT:  Looks really nice for an older 172.  Sweet paint job too.  I've been looking around for awhile, and have been amazed at the sad state of some of the older birds.  Have you seen the interior yet?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 05:12:31 PM by AAJagerX »

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 05:14:38 PM »

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 05:18:30 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Sweet!  I like how they stuck with the blue scheme.  Ya gotta slap a nice moving map GPS in there for good measure (after the glideslope of course). 

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 05:19:17 PM »
Sweet!  I like how they stuck with the blue scheme.  Ya gotta slap a nice moving map GPS in there for good measure (after the glideslope of course).  

Yep, we're looking at a garmin 396

edit: It seems like a really solid airplane, The owner was really upfront about its history (It overshot a runway and plowed through a fence in 1976, with minor damage) and seems like a pretty honest guy
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 05:24:43 PM by Tupac »

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 05:23:50 PM »
Yeah, the newer ones are a bit heavier so they went to the 360.

EDIT:  Looks really nice for an older 172.  Sweet paint job too.  I've been looking around for awhile, and have been amazed at the sad state of some of the older birds.  Have you seen the interior yet?

yea.....my friend that owns the helicopter flight school has a 62 172 with the 6 cyl in it. manual flaps. kinda fun to fly, but i like the feel of the newer ones better.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 05:29:12 PM »
Very low time bird. Have it fogged internally with Corrosion X or ACF-50. Run the motor with the oil additive Camguard. AVOID Semi-synthetic oils like Aeroshell 15W50 and Exxon Elite. Phillips XC20W50 with Camguard if you are in a multi temperature environment - otherwise straight Aeroshell 100W (not PLUS) with Camguard added.

Second - brush up on your maintenance. http://www.savvymx.com/index.php/resources/webinar

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 05:38:59 PM »
Coming from someone who is ignorant of all this..

why in the world would you want to buy something from 1963 and go several thousand feet in the air in it? O.o

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 05:43:09 PM »
Coming from someone who is ignorant of all this..

why in the world would you want to buy something from 1963 and go several thousand feet in the air in it? O.o

:noid