Author Topic: Airforce, Marines or Army?  (Read 13363 times)

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
Re: Airforce, Marines or Army?
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2011, 01:49:41 PM »
I heard about these guys called Air Force PJs I kind of recall that they may do something like rescue shot down pilots but I don't know maybe they are just made up?

PJ's are very real, and very air force.  They usually are embedded with SPECWAR elements as well that being Army, Navy, platoons.

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline wojo71

• Copper Member
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2011, 01:59:54 PM »
  This is from a fathers point of view, First of all I was in the army years ago and I am proud of the Army. That being said I am very happy that in this day and age that my son joined the Marine Corps. I feel that all the training he has gone though has given him an advantage when he deploys.. Also it seems that the marines put more leadership responsibilities at lower rank...Plus he is always doing something cool :cool: . Any thing you pick  :salute thank you for serving.
LTARwojo        
Proud father of a U.S. Marine....Proud grandson of Lt Col Hamel Goodin (ret)   B-17 pilot. 305th BG /364th SQD

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2011, 02:00:09 PM »
I would go for rotc, but that would require my bachelors in something at an accredited college. no worries, I could do that with ease, but I would never use that bachelors degree for something. The town I grew up in is very blue collar and working man, same with most of the neighboring towns for a 15 mile radius. a very blue collar community. I know I could do better then blue collar and working man, but that isnt me. I just cant see getting my degree in something I will never use. thats been my issue with air force. I would love to be a pilot.

First off, if you don't have enough motivation to graduate high school, then you can kiss any career as a military pilot goodbye.  Seriously.. they don't just give anyone control of a multi-million dollar aircraft.  You have to at the very least be an officer which basically means having a degree.

Secondly, if you don't care about secondary education and don't plan on taking advantage of any of the numerous career-building programs that the military has to offer, then you might as well join the Army and grab the job with the highest paid 'bonus' you can find, because you're going to need every cent of it.  These are usually either the high-risk jobs, or the jobs that no one really wants to do.  You'll be working with "second-chance" criminals (you know.. the kids that get on the wrong path and are ordered to either join the Army or go to jail) and other uneducated and unmotivated people who are just in it because they have no other option.  You'll be putting your life at severe jeopardy every day and you'll make little more than minimum wage (actually significantly less if you figure out dollars per hour)... working your  :ahand off and hating every minute of it.

If you can find it in yourself to motivate yourself even a little bit, you need to graduate high school, and you *NEED* to join the armed forces with the idea of "milking them for every thing they have to offer".  You'll want to take advantage of every education opportunity they have to offer, and you'll find yourself out on the front lines a lot less, and in the classrooms a lot more.  It's your choice.  You can walk away from the military with hearing loss, an arm blown off, and a boot kicking you out of the door... or you can walk away from the military with education, a college degree, and a HECK OF A JOB REFERENCE!  It's kind of like playing for a pro sports team.. once you are significantly injured you are useless.  They patch you up, pay your hospital bills, and then boot you out the door and then you're on your own, unable to get a job because of being injured, and with almost no assistance whatsoever.

I know a guy who got blown up in Iraq.  His two buddies in the Humvee with him were both killed.  He was jacked up pretty good.  He didn't lose any limbs, but had to get a considerable amount of plastic surgery on his face and walks with a permanent limp and is usually in pain.  He is doing OK enough, but only because his dad's ex-boss gave him a job.  If he were to lose this job he's be SOL.  He's got a five year old that was just diagnosed with Leukemia.  Good thing he gets good insurance from his job, because beyond that he'd be getting no help.  He joined the Army as an infantryman to get the $15,000 sign-on bonus which he blew on a new car and weed.  He really hates his job but simply has no other choice.  I worked with him for a time and I ended up transferring to another location because I couldn't stand his "arrogant and entitlement" attitude that he developed while in the Army.  Don't worry, I don't necessarily blame the Army for that because his Dad wasn't really much better.

My point is that you DO NOT want to end up in a similar situation.  Believe me, I completely understand about your blue-collar upbringing.  When I was growing up I had really good grades and my parents always acted all proud and whatnot about how I would be the first in our family to go to college.  Then times got tight and I started working full time to help support the family (and still going to school) just before I turned 14.  I somehow managed to keep my grades up, but by my Senior year I was literally BURNED OUT!  I actually ended up getting a full engineering scholarship but then once my parents realized I might be going away, all of a sudden all I got were guilt trips about how they won't be able to make ends meet without me, and how they would not be able to offer me ANY help if I leave and how I would truly be on my own if I left and blah blah blah so I ended up turning down the scholarship.  Pretty dumb move.  I ended up moving out right after I graduated high school and I've been on my own ever since, and only just now starting to get somewhat comfortable financially.  By the way, I'm 35.  Looking back I know I handled it all wrong because you know what?  I ended up moving out anyway and my parents lived through it!  That is one big reason why I don't maintain a relationship with my mom but that's another topic altogether.

Come on... step up and be a man!  Nothing in life is worth the easy route.  Don't be afraid to put some effort into it.. and don't be afraid to endure the bad times because it makes you a better person.  Even in the military, nothing is EVER handed to you and if you wait for that to happen you'll end up with the lowest, crappiest assignments that could get you killed.  You have to step up to the plate and put some effort into life, as you'll only get back what you put in.  You said that you want a challenge.  Life *IS* the challenge.  Picking up a gun and walking into a battlefield isn't a challenge.. it's a roll of the dice.  And if you crap out, then you die.  Think about it that way.

And you're right about Hollywood glorifying everything.  You'll find life to not be that exciting, and it will be more like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuTkgi7scKo
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 02:04:25 PM by Tigger29 »

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2011, 02:08:30 PM »
First off, if you don't have enough motivation to graduate high school, then you can kiss any career as a military pilot goodbye.  Seriously.. they don't just give anyone control of a multi-million dollar aircraft.  You have to at the very least be an officer which basically means having a degree.

Secondly, if you don't care about secondary education and don't plan on taking advantage of any of the numerous career-building programs that the military has to offer, then you might as well join the Army and grab the job with the highest paid 'bonus' you can find, because you're going to need every cent of it.  These are usually either the high-risk jobs, or the jobs that no one really wants to do.  You'll be working with "second-chance" criminals (you know.. the kids that get on the wrong path and are ordered to either join the Army or go to jail) and other uneducated and unmotivated people who are just in it because they have no other option.  You'll be putting your life at severe jeopardy every day and you'll make little more than minimum wage (actually significantly less if you figure out dollars per hour)... working your  :ahand off and hating every minute of it.

If you can find it in yourself to motivate yourself even a little bit, you need to graduate high school, and you *NEED* to join the armed forces with the idea of "milking them for every thing they have to offer".  You'll want to take advantage of every education opportunity they have to offer, and you'll find yourself out on the front lines a lot less, and in the classrooms a lot more.  It's your choice.  You can walk away from the military with hearing loss, an arm blown off, and a boot kicking you out of the door... or you can walk away from the military with education, a college degree, and a HECK OF A JOB REFERENCE!  It's kind of like playing for a pro sports team.. once you are significantly injured you are useless.  They patch you up, pay your hospital bills, and then boot you out the door and then you're on your own, unable to get a job because of being injured, and with almost no assistance whatsoever.

I know a guy who got blown up in Iraq.  His two buddies in the Humvee with him were both killed.  He was jacked up pretty good.  He didn't lose any limbs, but had to get a considerable amount of plastic surgery on his face and walks with a permanent limp and is usually in pain.  He is doing OK enough, but only because his dad's ex-boss gave him a job.  If he were to lose this job he's be SOL.  He's got a five year old that was just diagnosed with Leukemia.  Good thing he gets good insurance from his job, because beyond that he'd be getting no help.  He joined the Army as an infantryman to get the $15,000 sign-on bonus which he blew on a new car and weed.  He really hates his job but simply has no other choice.  I worked with him for a time and I ended up transferring to another location because I couldn't stand his "arrogant and entitlement" attitude that he developed while in the Army.  Don't worry, I don't necessarily blame the Army for that because his Dad wasn't really much better.

My point is that you DO NOT want to end up in a similar situation.  Believe me, I completely understand about your blue-collar upbringing.  When I was growing up I had really good grades and my parents always acted all proud and whatnot about how I would be the first in our family to go to college.  Then times got tight and I started working full time to help support the family (and still going to school) just before I turned 14.  I somehow managed to keep my grades up, but by my Senior year I was literally BURNED OUT!  I actually ended up getting a full engineering scholarship but then once my parents realized I might be going away, all of a sudden all I got were guilt trips about how they won't be able to make ends meet without me, and how they would not be able to offer me ANY help if I leave and how I would truly be on my own if I left and blah blah blah so I ended up turning down the scholarship.  Pretty dumb move.  I ended up moving out right after I graduated high school and I've been on my own ever since, and only just now starting to get somewhat comfortable financially.  By the way, I'm 35.  Looking back I know I handled it all wrong because you know what?  I ended up moving out anyway and my parents lived through it!  That is one big reason why I don't maintain a relationship with my mom but that's another topic altogether.

Come on... step up and be a man!  Nothing in life is worth the easy route.  Don't be afraid to put some effort into it.. and don't be afraid to endure the bad times because it makes you a better person.  Even in the military, nothing is EVER handed to you and if you wait for that to happen you'll end up with the lowest, crappiest assignments that could get you killed.  You have to step up to the plate and put some effort into life, as you'll only get back what you put in.  You said that you want a challenge.  Life *IS* the challenge.  Picking up a gun and walking into a battlefield isn't a challenge.. it's a roll of the dice.  And if you crap out, then you die.  Think about it that way.

And you're right about Hollywood glorifying everything.  You'll find life to not be that exciting, and it will be more like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuTkgi7scKo

... or he could be a CWO and enjoy the best of both worlds.

(after becoming an Airborne Ranger, of course)   :devil
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2011, 02:10:42 PM »
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2011, 02:12:11 PM »
The last I checked and if there are any recruiters here to correct me.  
All services for many years now will no longer accept anyone without at a minimum of a High School Diploma, not even high school equivalency certs are acceptable or waiverable to join the military any longer.  

So if you think you can quit school and get your GED and join the military, you will be in for a shock when they turn you away.  Also, the days of sending drunks, druggies, derelicts of society to the military vice jail have been eliminated long ago.  

Don't confuse these youngsters with Vietnam era shenanigans of old when our military was comprised of these types of undesirables.

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2011, 03:21:36 PM »
Where did you hear this BS from?  This is not true.  Get your facts straight Marine.  Ask the Chief, not a Captain for Christ sakes.  :neener:

http://www.gibill.va.gov/benefits/post_911_gibill/index.html
That's what the VA office AND my VA rep told me.
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2011, 03:32:55 PM »

I gave you the link directly from the VA website, ask them to show you where it says that.  

Matter of fact, this pisses me off the more I am thinking about it, you said your VA rep said that to you, PM me this guys number or the means to contact him.  
If this guy is really putting this crap out like that when he should not be, maybe he shouldnt be doing that job.

Or is it just you?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 04:27:50 PM by Dadsguns »

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2011, 03:43:58 PM »
Stoney being a Captain, USMC got me thinking about the differences.  I was a Captain, USAF. 75% of the flight I commanded were officers. With the exception of Marine Aviation, the USMC (and Army and Navy) officer/enlisted ratio has got to be the inverse.

It is.  I come from a Marine Aviation background myself, so in my units, there were no shortages of officers, but the rest of the Corps has a pretty lean command structure.  I would imagine the Air Force has some too, outside of the aviation units.

That being said, while I'm severely proud of my chosen service, all four have an important mission.  Some may be more important inside Afghanistan these days, but in another war in the not so distant future, roles could easily be reversed quickly.  All it would take is a belligerent with an Air Force or Navy that wants to fight to knock the shine off the perceived Air Force or Navy living/operational environment. I will go to my deathbed with the opinion that the hardest working individual in the peacetime military is a sailor underway.  Anyway, the OP just needs to decide what it is he wants to do.  If he wants a desk-job, fine.  No branch of the military can exist without everyone in the Table of Organization, and the military in general can't function without all four services.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2011, 04:38:55 PM »

Are you Active Duty?  If so, where are you stationed?  MOS?

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2011, 04:55:41 PM »
17 and a half, wanna serve so bad...but I'm not sure what I wanna do. for a while I  was thinking Army, but ive yet to hear much good about after your serve. it seems they offer the world and you dont get toejam. I havent really looked into the Air Force or Marines, but I'm lookin for some vets thoughts on which branch to do. thoughts?
I have been in the Army for coming up on 3 years now....let me tell you my story

1-1/2 years after high school im struggling with school not because college is hard but because I hated going. the thought of going in the Army came about at the age you are but I was busted on a drug charge which held me back until my probation charge was up. I joined in Aug 21 2008 and reported to Ft Benning GA where I attended Infantry training for 14 weeks(I think :confused: )

In january following Basic I got assigned to Korea. In Korea I served in the UNC Honor Guard as a guard for a high ranking general over there. After 1 year I got orders to head to Ft Drum New york.

feb 2010...Ft Drum cold as crap my unit 2-87 was still on block leave from Afghanistan, they came back and I was hazed into the team ;) We trained since then to redeploy there...

I leave within a few days.

What I found about the Army....It's what you make of it, some people like it...most people don't :D What I can tell you is to go to College if you can and get into an ROTC program, see if you can become an Officer and make the big bucks calling the big shots.

Myself, I'm a team leader...havn't played much Aces High since that change came about, mainly because I have to worry about 3 other guys then worry about myself....and let me tell you 3 guys can have a million problems  :rofl .

Pick a job you want to do, score higher then a 110 on your GT score during your asvab and you will be able to do what you like. Try to get a Top Secret clearance and go 15P....if you like aviation this is the way to go, its like an air traffic controller for the Army's helicopter brigades :aok

Dont take no for an Answer...and I say screw all the other branchs...we make them look like turds ;)

:salute good luck in your future
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2011, 04:58:07 PM »
So, I've seen some posts about airborne things. I was lookin PJ, prestigous job, dont need anything fancy other then a high school diploma, and its the air force...how much better can it get for a kid who has a thing for planes? with arthritis in my knee i doubt im getting far there with the physical exam when that pops up..and same with the other airborne jobs in the other branches.

although, after reading all the posts so far, I'm leaning to the marines a whisker. Navy has never really had my attention, but someone had posted about Nukes in the navy...sounds interesting. amazing the amount of jobs the recruiters wont tell you about when you talk to one...
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline Imaslipper

• Zinc Member
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2011, 05:01:24 PM »
AIR FORCE FTW
_____________________________ ________________________
Air Force pilots regards Navy carrier pilots:
"Next time a war is decided by how well you land on a carrier, I'm sure our Navy will clean up. Until then, I'll worry about who spends their training time flying and fighting."

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2011, 05:04:24 PM »
So, I've seen some posts about airborne things. I was lookin PJ, prestigous job, dont need anything fancy other then a high school diploma, and its the air force...how much better can it get for a kid who has a thing for planes? with arthritis in my knee i doubt im getting far there with the physical exam when that pops up..and same with the other airborne jobs in the other branches.

although, after reading all the posts so far, I'm leaning to the marines a whisker. Navy has never really had my attention, but someone had posted about Nukes in the navy...sounds interesting. amazing the amount of jobs the recruiters wont tell you about when you talk to one...
Get airborne prior to signing....just sayin and know you will have to pass a bit higher scale PT test.

Rangers Lead the Way...I want mine sooooo bad...deployment is in the way...you should go Ranger become a reall bad arse...
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2011, 05:06:26 PM »
AIR FORCE FTW
would PJ accept an arthritic knee? I cant see them accepting me, or any branches airborne for that matter, because of the arthritis. my knee is fine, but we all know how people are these days.

Get airborne prior to signing....just sayin and know you will have to pass a bit higher scale PT test.

Rangers Lead the Way...I want mine sooooo bad...deployment is in the way...you should go Ranger become a reall bad arse...
same thing here about my knee. I probably could do it, but there is iairborne jumps in the Rangers, right?
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb