Author Topic: Airforce, Marines or Army?  (Read 13361 times)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Airforce, Marines or Army?
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2011, 05:30:56 PM »
Get airborne prior to signing....just sayin and know you will have to pass a bit higher scale PT test.

Rangers Lead the Way...I want mine sooooo bad...deployment is in the way...you should go Ranger become a reall bad arse...
LMAO!!! ya...  :lol  bad arsed for the army and airforce.

since when did army boot go longer than the marine corps? last i heard it was 9 weeks actual, maybe 2 weeks extra building the training platoon...or did you got to benning for a.i.t.?

mason, if you have a bad knee...even if you pass the physical, you do not want anything jumping out of or even rappeling out of...you're going to need to be able to run up to 5 miles and march with full combat gear up to 20 miles to get through marine boot camp...that's not including all of the bends and thrusts you're gonna do...as it is, if you make it through boot and that knee gets bad they will med you out, no choice.

i hate to say it but, with that knee issue...don't even consider a combat duty assignment...rangers, pjs, marines or seals...that's putting other people at risk. i can think of only one branch where you can have a long career and learn some very cool skills without someone shooting at you all the time...and that knee won't be a serious issue...coast guard...just have to be able to swim really good.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2011, 05:43:34 PM »
..... i can think of only one branch where you can have a long career and learn some very cool skills without someone shooting at you all the time...and that knee won't be a serious issue...coast guard...just have to be able to swim really good.

I dont think so, if he cant make a physical exam and pt test in any service he wont make it in the Dept of Transportation Canoe Club either...... Just sayin.

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2011, 05:46:14 PM »
Are you Active Duty?  If so, where are you stationed?  MOS?
I was active duty but I got jacked up and they put me on TMPQ with some reserve unit in, Savannah GA. (And now I'm deploying with them? lol)
3112 MOS with 0331 billet.

I'm attached to 2BTO 4LSB 4MLG right now. (seems to me that I'm just floating around the Corps.)

----------

I gave you the link directly from the VA website, ask them to show you where it says that.  

Matter of fact, this pisses me off the more I am thinking about it, you said your VA rep said that to you, PM me this guys number or the means to contact him.  
If this guy is really putting this crap out like that when he should not be, maybe he shouldnt be doing that job.

Or is it just you?
Everyone in the Corps is being told that. In order to get 100% of it you have to deploy 4 times. You get 25% tacked on every time you go.
Recruiter told it to me, D.I. told it to us, MCT instructor told it to us, MOS instructors...
I'll look at the link though.
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2011, 05:56:18 PM »
I was active duty but I got jacked up and they put me on TMPQ with some reserve unit in, Savannah GA. (And now I'm deploying with them? lol)
3112 MOS with 0331 billet.

I'm attached to 2BTO 4LSB 4MLG right now. (seems to me that I'm just floating around the Corps.)

----------
Everyone in the Corps is being told that. In order to get 100% of it you have to deploy 4 times. You get 25% tacked on every time you go.
Recruiter told it to me, D.I. told it to us, MCT instructor told it to us, MOS instructors...
I'll look at the link though.

Your official status is a reservists? correct?

National Guard/Reserve
Veterans who have served at least 90 days of active duty service after September 10, 2001, will qualify for Chapter 33 (the new, post-9/11 GI Bill). Unlike in Chapter 1607 (REAP), benefits for active duty service are based on cumulative active duty service, not the single longest deployment. National Guardsmen and reservists with three years of active duty service post-9/11 now qualify for full benefits under Chapter 33 (the new, post-9/11 GI Bill). As a general rule, only federal activations count toward total active duty service. Training, state call-ups and 32 AGR service do not qualify.

The following chart outlines the breakdown of benefits based on amount of service.

Service                 Benefits*

36 Cumulative Months  100%
30 Cumulative Months  90%
24 Cumulative Months  80%
18 Cumulative Months  70%
12 Cumulative Months  60%
6 Cumulative Months  50%
90 Cumulative Days  40%
Service Connected Discharge  100%

Is this what you are referring too?  Yes this is for Reservists.  I always thought you were AD for some reason.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 06:12:19 PM by Dadsguns »

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2011, 05:58:06 PM »
As of this moment? Yes.

Something along those lines. We were all told it was per deployment. 25% per.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 06:03:02 PM by MarineUS »
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2011, 06:00:38 PM »
I dont think so, if he cant make a physical exam and pt test in any service he wont make it in the Dept of Transportation Canoe Club either...... Just sayin.
i was thinking if he was able to pass the physical...coast guard boot is only 8 weeks and the pt isn't quite as bad as army or marine corps...swimming is a big deal though, but that won't bother his knee as bad as bends and thrusts or 5 miles worth of confidence course.

Push-ups (60 sec) 29
Sit-ups (60 sec)  38
Run (1.5 mile )  12:51
Tread Water 5 minutes
Jump off 5ft platform into pool, swim 100 meters

i thought dhs took over the coast guard from the dod?
jarhed  

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2011, 06:08:06 PM »
i thought dhs took over the coast guard from the dod?

Your correct, its dhs, that was just some Navy humor to our sister navy....  ;)

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2011, 06:09:23 PM »
PJ's are very real, and very air force.  They usually are embedded with SPECWAR elements as well that being Army, Navy, platoons.

Dads you must have missed my sarcasm
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline Selino631

• Silver Member
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2011, 06:12:25 PM »

since when did army boot go longer than the marine corps? last i heard it was 9 weeks actual, maybe 2 weeks extra building the training platoon...or did you got to benning for a.i.t.?

Army Infantry basic is 14 weeks its the basic and MOS school combinded but you get the same treatment
OEF 11-12

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2011, 06:16:02 PM »
As of this moment? Yes.

Something along those lines. We were all told it was per deployment. 25% per.

What I am not so sure about is, when you say "at this moment your a reservist".  Your official status on your enlistment should not change.  You either are Active Duty, or a reservist on Active Duty, but not an Active Duty marine as a Reservist.  Get what I am saying.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 06:27:30 PM by Dadsguns »

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2011, 06:51:12 PM »
Yes but instead of putting me on 2+ years of "light duty" they changed me to reserves until my back could heal.
(going towards my inac. res. status)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 07:08:17 PM by MarineUS »

HiTech

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2011, 07:49:46 PM »
I have never been a big fan of the Reserves or the National Guard for just these reasons, they put way too many stipulations on serving and the compensations are used as incentives rather than giving them outright for serving as Active Duty troops do.

The definition of veteran for Federal student aid purposes is not necessarily the same as the definition of veteran for VA purposes. This can lead to potential problems, since the FAFSA processor performs a data match with Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) records to confirm a student's veteran status.

Members of the National Guard or Reserves, however, are only considered to be veterans if they were called up to active Federal duty by presidential order for a purpose other than training. A member of the National Guard or Reserves who is called up to active State duty is not considered a veteran. A key issue is whether they were under the control of a regular component of the US Armed Forces or remained under the control of the National Guard or Reserves.

A member of the Reserves who was called to active duty but who was discharged before serving on active duty (e.g., due to medical reasons) is not considered a veteran.

If a member of the armed forces was discharged during basic training for medical reasons, they are still considered a veteran for Federal student aid purposes so long as they served at least one day before being discharged.

If a member of the National Guard or Reserves was called to active duty and released, but then remained in the National Guard or Reserves, they are still considered a veteran. So long as they were called to active Federal duty by presidential order for a purpose other than training, served at least one day on active duty, and then were released under a condition other than dishonorable, they are considered a veteran for Federal student aid purposes.

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2011, 11:35:24 PM »
Yeah. These guys in my unit all had to sign 6 year contracts just to get VA benefits. If they signed any less they got nothing. (Plus 2 years inactive Reserve so 8 years all together). I feel bad for them.

I hate A.D. guys that rag on them. These guys hold down a civilian job (as do I), they go to school (I didn't have the funding, had to drop out), and they try to be full time parents. While doing this they manage to squeeze drill in every month (unless the CO messes it up and it is every other month and they have to go for a week at a time), and every time they go they get treated like garbage by the I&I staff. Shows that they're tough though because they keep coming back.

Know what the messed up part is about my situation? Since they slapped me on reserve status they took away all of my medical benefits. They tell them all "You may be up here once a month, but you're a Marine 24/7 (which is cool), but if you get hurt the gov't won't pay for a DIME. Hell I got messed up running the CFT (Combat Fitness Test) and doc just gave me a Motrin. Come to find out I have a pinched nerve that I have to find some way to pay for and fix.

The reserve side is Jacked up like no other.

HiTech

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2011, 05:27:32 AM »
uh marine...the corps signs all enlisted personnel up for 6 years...4 years active, 2 inactive reserve...even full time reservists...it's been that way i believe since nam...
jarhed  

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2011, 07:47:39 AM »
I know i'm kidding around  :lol

I also bet that you'd miss every round as well.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC