Author Topic: Airforce, Marines or Army?  (Read 13368 times)

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
Re: Airforce, Marines or Army?
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2011, 03:31:49 PM »
uh marine...the corps signs all enlisted personnel up for 6 years...4 years active, 2 inactive reserve...even full time reservists...it's been that way i believe since nam...
I know - I meant 8 years all around. They HAVE to do 6 to get ANY benefits PLUS 2 inactive.
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2011, 03:56:22 PM »
eagl, dropping ordnance with laser guided accuracy from 20,000 feet is not fighting...and when a pilot needs to be rescued, it's the marines, army or navy that goes in...on the ground.

with the exception of the airforce special operations command, the airforce does not train ground troops in advanced infantry combat...they get a medal for just being able to fire a weapon down range, hitting the target is optional.

Mostly you're full of it (ie. completely wrong).  My base has deployed a few hundred USAF members for ground duty in Army units.  Some of them find themselves drivers or gunners in Army convoys, some find themselves walking the streets as they augment Army infantry units.  Not one of these augmentees are involved in air operations, rather they are bailing out the Army, doing the Army's job for them, because the Army can't get the job done without USAF troops filling in the roster.

My current job is as an air advisor to the Iraqi Air Force, but before I deployed I had to go through a rather intense combat skills course taught by ex-SEALs, ex-Rangers, 100% special forces or experienced SWAT officers.  That's ground combat training, in case you're not following along.

And guess what - because of my job, if I ever end up on the ground, it'll be me, my 9mm, and a radio, by myself, pretty much in the situation that every Army troop is trained from day one to avoid because isolated troops end up dead.  But that's MY combat environment, me and my M-9 and a radio against all comers until rescue shows up.  That's why our SERE training takes so long (minimum 6 weeks plus advanced courses for high risk of capture and conduct after capture training), because when we find ourselves in ground combat, we're pretty much alone hoping to stay alive long enough for some snake eaters to bail us out.

And still, my wing has deployed only about 6 guys per year to flying jobs.  The other several dozen per year are doing ground duty, many of them filling Army jobs in Army units, eating Army chow, shooting Army bullets, doing the Army's job.  You don't see many Army troops filling in to fly nuclear capable strike aircraft...  We got that covered, and we'll keep doing the Army's job as long as the SECDEF keeps signing the title 10 waivers (google it if you don't know what that means).
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2011, 03:57:36 PM »
would PJ accept an arthritic knee? I cant see them accepting me, or any branches airborne for that matter, because of the arthritis. my knee is fine, but we all know how people are these days.
 same thing here about my knee. I probably could do it, but there is iairborne jumps in the Rangers, right?

If you can't run, all of the services are going to be difficult.  Everyone runs nowadays.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2011, 05:33:55 PM »
so the airforce has started turning overpaid boy scouts into real ground pounders?  :huh  definitely something new...the only "infantry combat trained" airforce ground troops i had any contact with were a company strength detachment attached to 82nd ab units training in aberdeen md (no, i have no idea what they were doing there)...and they couldn't hold off a fireteam of bootcamp fresh jarheads.

you don't need to try and oversell the role the pj's or cct's, or whatever the af has going now...and it's not like they are really "doing the army's job"...augmentation is just that, fill in...especially areas where seasoned combat troops shouldn't be utilized...not that it isn't just as dangerous where they are, it's just that commanders don't like putting front line troops in rear guard duties.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2011, 05:45:39 PM »
My cousin is an 0-6 (AF), another cousin is an E-5 (AF), don't seem like they hear much about AF Ground pounding it out.
They do fill gunner positions/dismounts though. :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 06:35:47 PM by MarineUS »
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2011, 05:55:42 PM »
If you can't run, all of the services are going to be difficult.  Everyone runs nowadays.
i can run fine. I just need to work on my stamina a bit.
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline The Jekyll

• Nickel Member
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2011, 06:34:14 PM »
i wanna fight. I know Hollywood glorifies everything, makes it look like nothing can go wrong, you go in and shoot some terrorists pack your stuff and go home. I know it aint that easy, but thats why I wanna do it. I want the challenge. the Challenge is something I can never get anywhere near me.
DoD? aint heard the term before.

Mason, honestly if you are joining because you want to fight, don't join. That is probably the worst tenant of a soldier who has to fight in combat. I am not trying to be mean but coming from 24 years Infantry and Ranger I speak from experience. Look deep and try to determine what is really is that you want to do, then find out which service can give you that option. They all offer something different and something the same. But if in the end you are really joining because you want to fight then do not enlist. You will be sorely disappointed and in the end, if you do see combat, personally saddened by your desires. I always ask a new soldier coming to my unit in a combat zone why they joined. Whenever one answered they were there because they wanted to fight I kept them as far away from the fight, and my soldiers, as I could. I never regretted that decision.
Best of luck and salute for your desire to serve.
Yea, simply because I can

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2011, 06:38:09 PM »
air force, that way you dont have to deal with that one stupid guy in your platoon...

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2011, 06:40:04 PM »
He's got it right.
Every single "I wanna fight/kill bodies etc." Marine I've ever met has been one of the worst to encounter. The stories that precede their actions in combat are worse.

There needs to be more than "I want to fight" because honest to God, you won't do much of it (at least what you're thinking). The military is 80% "hurry up and wait.". Ask any of these guys who have been in. Grunt units do nothing but train for combat and sit in the barracks, then they deploy, ride in convoys, get hit by an IED and normally not see any other sign of the bad guy.

Don't get me wrong, Haji will fight it out, but not as often as you'd assume. It's not like WWII where it's a battle everyday of the week with an enemy in a uniform.

HiTech

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2011, 06:46:28 PM »
your also right MarineUS, people also only go there because they think it will be "fun" or that because they are good at call of duty they will press X and respawn... it doesnt work like that. you get killed you DONT respawn. period.

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2011, 06:51:17 PM »
your also right MarineUS, people also only go there because they think it will be "fun" or that because they are good at call of duty they will press X and respawn... it doesnt work like that. you get killed you DONT respawn. period.

HiTech

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2011, 08:17:25 PM »
Sissies.  I'm thinking about killing & eating all of you.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2011, 08:34:32 PM »
Mason, honestly if you are joining because you want to fight, don't join. That is probably the worst tenant of a soldier who has to fight in combat. I am not trying to be mean but coming from 24 years Infantry and Ranger I speak from experience. Look deep and try to determine what is really is that you want to do, then find out which service can give you that option. They all offer something different and something the same. But if in the end you are really joining because you want to fight then do not enlist. You will be sorely disappointed and in the end, if you do see combat, personally saddened by your desires. I always ask a new soldier coming to my unit in a combat zone why they joined. Whenever one answered they were there because they wanted to fight I kept them as far away from the fight, and my soldiers, as I could. I never regretted that decision.
Best of luck and salute for your desire to serve.
He's got it right.
Every single "I wanna fight/kill bodies etc." Marine I've ever met has been one of the worst to encounter. The stories that precede their actions in combat are worse.

There needs to be more than "I want to fight" because honest to God, you won't do much of it (at least what you're thinking). The military is 80% "hurry up and wait.". Ask any of these guys who have been in. Grunt units do nothing but train for combat and sit in the barracks, then they deploy, ride in convoys, get hit by an IED and normally not see any other sign of the bad guy.

Don't get me wrong, Haji will fight it out, but not as often as you'd assume. It's not like WWII where it's a battle everyday of the week with an enemy in a uniform.

both of you. thank you for posting this. I never thought about it much, but now that its been posted and in plain writing I thank you for pulling my head out of my ass. I'll go back and re-evaluate my reasons. Thank you.  :salute
HogDweeb

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2011, 08:36:48 PM »
You're very welcome.

We're here to help....and of course, give you a hard time.

HiTech

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2011, 08:39:50 PM »
I'd rather have someone with expierence be a pain in my bellybutton then a heart wreck on others a few years down the road cause i did something beyond stupid.
HogDweeb