Author Topic: Just when I thought arena caps couldn't get any more idiotic...  (Read 2963 times)

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Re: Just when I thought arena caps couldn't get any more idiotic...
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2011, 12:28:57 PM »
How can you say wrong and then concur with what I just said? Critical mass = too high density of players on one arena = horde when it happens locally.

I said "wrong" because you say the caps were to combat the hordes and critical mass;  split arenas was the solution to those.  The caps were the mechanism to try to get the numbers in each arena to go up towards the cap number quickly and evenly.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2011, 12:32:48 PM »
I said "wrong" because you say the caps were to combat the hordes and critical mass;  split arenas was the solution to those.  The caps were the mechanism to try to get the numbers in each arena to go up towards the cap number quickly and evenly.
gotta watch those semantics with ripley...there is no telling what way he will twist it so it makes sense only to him.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2011, 12:33:19 PM »
Host: You are now being ported to the other main arena. You will be at your same speed and AGL altitude over a front line friendly base with full ammo and takeoff selected fuel.

this new feature will be added for transitions to after hours and for transitions to blue and orange and titanic teusday main arenas to eliminate all transition problems.

yes I know I have the answers to all lifes problems.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2011, 12:42:34 PM »

Lol nice try. So you're in effect saying you disagree because you agree again? Split arena was not a solution since everyone still joined by overwhelming choice the larger side. Good that you agreed already on the fact that player density was the gameplay degrading problem.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2011, 12:43:32 PM »
gotta watch those semantics with ripley...there is no telling what way he will twist it so it makes sense only to him.

And no points for you. Try finding an actual counter argument instead of making clueless remarks.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2011, 12:51:28 PM »
Lol nice try. So you're in effect saying you disagree because you agree again? Split arena was not a solution since everyone still joined by overwhelming choice the larger side. Good that you agreed already on the fact that player density was the gameplay degrading problem.

Since you insist on talking like split arenas are the same as arena caps, further discussion of the matter is futile.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2011, 12:53:56 PM »
Since you insist on talking like split arenas are the same as arena caps, further discussion of the matter is futile.

Since you refuse to understand that split arenas were tried to no avail, then caps were introduced to stop everyone joining the same one, discussion with you is INDEED futile.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2011, 01:08:44 PM »
How can you say wrong and then concur with what I just said? Critical mass = too high density of players on one arena = horde when it happens locally.

Too many players in one arena is a separate problem from hordes. The late war arena was not split because of hordes.

You can define a horde as too many people but it's a semantic similarity, it isn't the same issue.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2011, 01:24:05 PM »
Too many players in one arena is a separate problem from hordes. The late war arena was not split because of hordes.

You can define a horde as too many people but it's a semantic similarity, it isn't the same issue.

You're right, horde was only one side-effect of too many players. Warps and increased lag was also an issue.

Offline Bellator

• Copper Member
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2011, 01:30:16 PM »
I don't like the caps, but I don't have the solution either.
But I don't think the so called horde has anything to do with it.
If the cap for LWO is 100 and there's 33 players from each country in the arena, how they play should have no bearing on the cap.
On the other hand you can't have 80 players from one country and 10 from each of the opposing countries and think it's going to be fun.
On another note:
I'm waiting for someone to explain what a mission is and why we have a mission planner.
If 10 players join a mission and it's considered a horde. Maybe Hi Tech should should do away with the mission planner feature.
And perhaps they should also do away with the radio and text buffer feature to make sure no one trys to organize anything.
Actually Hi Tech has been kind enough to give us these features to immerse the player into the game.
Your assignment (Should you decide to accept.) is to defeat the mission (horde).
Or, you can go duel, pick, GV, furball, bomb somewhere. Hi Tech has provided many options.
My point is, Hi Tech has provided the game with the mission planner as a tool to organize.
If it had not been his intention for players to organize and form groups, he would not have included the mission planner or radio nor would he have have bothered with the formations of squads. So again, in my opinion the so called horde has nothing to do with the arena caps.

<S> BELLATOR

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2011, 01:49:45 PM »
You're right, horde was only one side-effect of too many players. Warps and increased lag was also an issue.

IIRC the issue was more of a culture of mutual respect being lost ( stop laughing ) when the numbers got too high and the subscription rate declined and Aces High stopped growing. After splitting the LWA the population grew again.

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2011, 02:21:31 PM »
How about, instead of 50 player gaps, change it to 15-20.

Orange 100/100
Blue 109/115
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2011, 02:26:04 PM »
How about, instead of 50 player gaps, change it to 15-20.

Orange 100/100
Blue 109/115

You'd still be forced to login/logoff untill you get in orange if that's where your mates are. As far as I see it the problem is threefold: After the split, other side remains mostly empty. After the split, the full side most likely contains 90% of your friends. After the split if you want to land your flight after a successful run, most likely you get locked out of the side your friends are.

Offline vNUCKS

• Copper Member
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2011, 03:49:47 PM »
If you look at the screen capture in the post opening this thread, you will note that the arena with the smaller population is capped (LWO @ 100), while the more populated arena (LWB @ 117) is not capped.  This seems inconsistent with the stated purpose of arena caps.  I don't like the arena caps, but I understand and respect that they are needed.  That being said, as implemented in the opening example, it does seem a bit "idiotic".  The recent upping from 70% populated to 80% populated in the uncapped arena before the capped arena is opened, means that LWB will have a population 20% greater that LWO before the cap is lifted from LWO.

Also, I think cap implementation should be delayed when an arena is first opened or reset.  As well as ENY restrictions and perk plane cost adjustments should be delayed when an arena first opens.  How often do you enter an arena when it first opens with fewer than 15-25 people in it, and the low population countrymen, jump in their discounted perkie planes while the high population country sit in the tower waiting for the ENY to settle down? And when it does, they are met by tempests and 262's as they climb away from their base. 

vNucks

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2011, 03:52:44 PM »

Also, I think cap implementation should be delayed when an arena is first opened or reset.  As well as ENY restrictions and perk plane cost adjustments should be delayed when an arena first opens.  How often do you enter an arena when it first opens with fewer than 15-25 people in it, and the low population countrymen, jump in their discounted perkie planes while the high population country sit in the tower waiting for the ENY to settle down? And when it does, they are met by tempests and 262's as they climb away from their base. 

Interesting point that furthermore brings out the benefit of splitting and not closing to start from scratch.