Author Topic: Video of some upcoming tank changes  (Read 17267 times)

Offline Nutzoid

• Nickel Member
Re: Video of some upcoming tank changes
« Reply #120 on: March 25, 2011, 09:41:37 AM »
If there is a commander position on the vehicle, then there is no driver's position.  We're also pulling out most hull gunners and just slaving that position to the coax so that it fires along with your coax if you're aiming within its field of fire.  It's a really big deal to us if we can skip modeling the interior of tanks.  That takes the biggest chunk of development time on tanks but doesn't add a commensurate value.  Not doing an interior on a tank makes it way faster to kick out new tanks.  

You also won't be able to take on a second player as a gunner if your vehicle has a commander position.  Vehicles that have a commander's position will basically be anything with a tank sight.  

Will you be able to fire from the commanders position? Known in the tanking community as "TC Overide". (TC=Tank Commander  Overide being the ability to "overide" the gunners inputs, and shoot the tank from his position)

Oh and BTW, thanks for everything that y'all do!   :aok

Nutz
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 09:47:28 AM by Nutzoid »
C co. 1st Bn 7 CAV 1st Cav Div  " Garry Owen"

Offline 442w30

• Nickel Member
« Reply #121 on: March 25, 2011, 10:08:44 AM »
This all sounds like a nice change.  IMHO the change reflects what a TC does, makes for more realistic sights, reduces some of the having to do two tasks at once- which tank crews had multiple people doing such as driving and searching for targets at the same time.

The lack of interiors sounds like it will not really effect the game. If you are sitting there looking at the interior of your tank, you might be missing the action. :)  Speedier development of new tanks, TDs and other armor sounds much better in my book.  I'd love to have more options. 

Hoping it comes to us SOON. :)

:aok
Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time

"The plural of anecdote is no data."- statistician's axiom

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #122 on: March 25, 2011, 10:58:34 AM »
Any idea if we can install our own custome gunsites?
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #123 on: March 25, 2011, 11:19:41 AM »
Any idea if we can install our own custome gunsites?
since it appears that at least the German sight is a mechanically working gun sight (the range marker actually moves within the optics in-game) I would hazard a guess that the answer is no.

Im actually of the mind that accurate historic sights should be forced in planes as well.  Sort of a " playing field leveler", as it were.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #124 on: March 25, 2011, 11:34:57 AM »
That'd mean sun shades for luftwaffe sights.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #125 on: March 25, 2011, 11:55:55 AM »
Is there a Reverse?

I assume that ostwinds, wirblewinds, M3's, M16's, lvt2/4's, jeeps etc do not have "commander positions"

Does this mean they will be driven from the driver position?

Can we assume the Ostwind & Wirblewind will have the same drive control as the panzer? and the LVT the same drive control as a "tank"

Can we assume that the M3, M16 and  Jeep will still have gears, will they then get a throttle (sometime) or will they just get a throttle and an auto box? or just an auto box?

is sight gaming using the pge down/up and view adjustment now at an end?
Ludere Vincere

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #126 on: March 25, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »
Is there a Reverse?

I assume that ostwinds, wirblewinds, M3's, M16's, lvt2/4's, jeeps etc do not have "commander positions"

Does this mean they will be driven from the driver position?

Can we assume the Ostwind & Wirblewind will have the same drive control as the panzer? and the LVT the same drive control as a "tank"

Can we assume that the M3, M16 and  Jeep will still have gears, will they then get a throttle (sometime) or will they just get a throttle and an auto box? or just an auto box?

is sight gaming using the pge down/up and view adjustment now at an end?

All ground vehicles drive exactly the same.

The vehicles you listed will not have a commander position, but all vehicles and planes will automatically have the mouse look feature. And all gunners will also have the mouse control available.

HiTech
HiTech

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #127 on: March 25, 2011, 12:09:36 PM »
three letters come to mind... WoT....   :rolleyes:
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #128 on: March 25, 2011, 03:06:04 PM »
All ground vehicles drive exactly the same.

HiTech

Thanks for the reply........and the reverse?
Ludere Vincere

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #129 on: March 25, 2011, 03:08:40 PM »
Thanks for the reply........and the reverse?
hold down the "s" key

lol...i don't think it's going to be that bad...at least there won't be satellite and laser guided artillery.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 03:10:18 PM by gyrene81 »
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline bc21

• Copper Member
« Reply #130 on: March 25, 2011, 03:47:43 PM »
Will there be any effect on using trackIR in the commanders position?
Looks very good!!!!
and +++++ on the video!!!! :O

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #131 on: March 25, 2011, 04:03:58 PM »
TIR should work just like mouse-view, so unless you move your joystick I'd think you can look around without moving the turret.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #132 on: March 25, 2011, 04:09:05 PM »
Quote from: hitech link=topic=309498.msg4002052#msg4002052 date=1301072460

[color=red
All ground vehicles drive exactly the same.[/color]

HiTech
HiTech

Please elaborate.  Do you mean that the controls are the same for each gv? 

How will the gv's with tires be effected?  Will they be more or less the same as AH currently has?
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #133 on: March 25, 2011, 04:16:54 PM »

HAHA that was my exact thought as well!

I tried WoT and didn't much care for that interface at all.  I much preferred the realism of the tanks in Aces High.

I'm torn about this.  On one hand, it will lessen the learning curve a bit and may bring in people from FPS games (and WoT).  More subscribers is obviously a good thing because it is job security for HTC's staff, and game security for us customers.  On the other hand, it feels kind of like a 'sellout' decision on HTC's part.

It's hard to blame them for this decision because there is a HUGE market to be tapped when you can compete with FPS games.  Heck, probably 90+% of multiplayer games that get released is FPS, and probably 95+% of teenagers and young adults prefer FPS games.  I COMPLETELY understand this from a business point of view.  However, one of the things that appeals to me about Aces High is that it is NOT a FPS game!  The only FPS part about it is after you eject from a plane, and it is a very unsubstantial part of the game.

Another thing is that Pyro mentions that by not having to model the insides of the tanks, they can 'crank out' more tanks in no time flat!  I don't like that at all.  That's another thing about Aces High that I love... their attention to detail.  I love looking around the inside of the tanks!  I know it serves little functional purpose but it greatly adds to the immersion of everything.  To me, this seems like yet another sellout move.

So then what next.. we start adding ground troop battles?  I mean, with the new tanks things are already starting to feel FPSish... so might as well go all the way, right?  Don't get me wrong... I'm not necessarily against AH having a FPS part to it, rather I'm actually interested in the idea!  I probably wouldn't play it myself that much, but hey if it brings in a lot more business then why not?  I'm just afraid that we'll be sacrificing what makes AH special in order to make it happen.

Personally, I feel kind of sad that things have to be 'dumbed down' in order to bring in the next generation of players.  Yes I know it has to be done, after all we're not getting any younger here, however I don't know it just seems that there must be a better way without going down the path of 'making this just like that other game'.

I just hope the HTC is careful about choosing their path.  It may start with tanks, but I'm concerned that it may eventually come down to all the planes looking like this, after all just imagine how many models of planes they can crank out if they don't have to model the cockpit and the internals of the planes!

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #134 on: March 25, 2011, 05:07:36 PM »

Another thing is that Pyro mentions that by not having to model the insides of the tanks, they can 'crank out' more tanks in no time flat!  I don't like that at all.  That's another thing about Aces High that I love... their attention to detail.  I love looking around the inside of the tanks!  I know it serves little functional purpose but it greatly adds to the immersion of everything.  To me, this seems like yet another sellout move.

<snip>

I just hope the HTC is careful about choosing their path.  It may start with tanks, but I'm concerned that it may eventually come down to all the planes looking like this, after all just imagine how many models of planes they can crank out if they don't have to model the cockpit and the internals of the planes!

(Image removed from quote.)

You're reading too much into this. They don't have to model what you can't see. With command/driving from the cupola the driver's position is not needed. Therefore the driver's position is eliminated as well as his view.

Personally, I like the drivers position. Sometimes I can see things there I cannot see from the turret.

So then what next.. we start adding ground troop battles?  I mean, with the new tanks things are already starting to feel FPSish... so might as well go all the way, right?  Don't get me wrong... I'm not necessarily against AH having a FPS part to it, rather I'm actually interested in the idea!  I probably wouldn't play it myself that much, but hey if it brings in a lot more business then why not?  I'm just afraid that we'll be sacrificing what makes AH special in order to make it happen.

I believe Hitech mentioned at the last con that he would like to develop a FPS/ground troop component to the game.

Good or bad?

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay