Author Topic: Video of some upcoming tank changes  (Read 17298 times)

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
Re: Video of some upcoming tank changes
« Reply #135 on: March 25, 2011, 05:20:04 PM »
Ground FPS for infantry would be great, as long as its kept time era, it gives more people things to do, tankers will have more cannon fodder :D 

one thing i do like about WWII online was the infantry aspect of the game in relationship with the ground armor, nothing more intense than sneaking up on a Tank as a Sapper and laying charges on the hull then sneak off and blow it up, provided some other infantry didnt kill ya first, as far as that games flying model, two words... it blows
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #136 on: March 25, 2011, 05:32:58 PM »
didn't hitech say he was considering some method of incorporating fps type troops for base capture?

the fps aspect of the tanking thing is going to work out very well...the wot implementation is much more console arcade 3rd person perspective...even with the coming changes, the ah implementation is still going to be better than wot by a long shot.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #137 on: March 25, 2011, 05:33:43 PM »
First, to HiTech and everyone involved in this GV update as well as all of the development that goes into further and further refinement of the video game airplane CRACK you dealers keep on selling us addicts..... I gotta say  :rock :rock :rock

I think the notion that this change is "dumbing down" the GV game is hogwash. If anything, it is a lot more in line with what we have in aircraft that have more than one crewman, i.e. bombers, where F3 and "fire all" put the eyeballs and trigger fingers of many guys under the control of one person.

This change does nothing more than make it more realistic in that you're more accurately modelling what the tank commander had at his disposal, i.e. a CREW, who did things at his command, as opposed to him having to magically beam himself out of one location within the vehicle and into the other location.... How many WWII tanks were operated by one single man?

Look, the same basic rules still apply..... you may be able to traverse your turret from the commander's position, but if you're rolling up on an enemy tank laying in ambush, you're still dead meat. You STILL have to jump to your main gun position to fire the main gun, as I understand it that cannot be done from the commander's position. Yes, you can bring your main gun to bear somewhere close to a target identified from the commander's position without getting in the main gun yourself, but in real life would the tank commander have seen a target, scrabled down to the inside of the turret and began rotating the turret himself? Heck no... that turret would be moving as soon as he saw a target, upon his command....for those of you concerned about realism, consider the joystick as the tank commander's way of telling the main gunner what to do....

This is a huge improvement as far as I'm concerned. I say kudos to HTC!

:cheers:
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #138 on: March 25, 2011, 05:35:43 PM »
First, to HiTech and everyone involved in this GV update as well as all of the development that goes into further and further refinement of the video game airplane CRACK you dealers keep on selling us addicts..... I gotta say  :rock :rock :rock

I think the notion that this change is "dumbing down" the GV game is hogwash. If anything, it is a lot more in line with what we have in aircraft that have more than one crewman, i.e. bombers, where F3 and "fire all" put the eyeballs and trigger fingers of many guys under the control of one person.

This change does nothing more than make it more realistic in that you're more accurately modelling what the tank commander had at his disposal, i.e. a CREW, who did things at his command, as opposed to him having to magically beam himself out of one location within the vehicle and into the other location.... How many WWII tanks were operated by one single man?

Look, the same basic rules still apply..... you may be able to traverse your turret from the commander's position, but if you're rolling up on an enemy tank laying in ambush, you're still dead meat. You STILL have to jump to your main gun position to fire the main gun, as I understand it that cannot be done from the commander's position. Yes, you can bring your main gun to bear somewhere close to a target identified from the commander's position without getting in the main gun yourself, but in real life would the tank commander have seen a target, scrabled down to the inside of the turret and began rotating the turret himself? Heck no... that turret would be moving as soon as he saw a target, upon his command....for those of you concerned about realism, consider the joystick as the tank commander's way of telling the main gunner what to do....

This is a huge improvement as far as I'm concerned. I say kudos to HTC!

:cheers:

Agreed +1

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #139 on: March 25, 2011, 08:23:36 PM »
HAHA that was my exact thought as well!

I tried WoT and didn't much care for that interface at all.  I much preferred the realism of the tanks in Aces High.

"Realism"???  Being able to perform only 1 function at a time in a crew served gv (albeit being able to turn while in CT position) is a bit limited. The new style will allow more realism imo, because the CT is now in command.

I'm torn about this.  On one hand, it will lessen the learning curve a bit and may bring in people from FPS games (and WoT).  More subscribers is obviously a good thing because it is job security for HTC's staff, and game security for us customers.  On the other hand, it feels kind of like a 'sellout' decision on HTC's part.

Actually, the new sights are going to create a longer learning curve.  No longer will each tank have the same zoom and same reticule. This is more involved than most think.

Another thing is that Pyro mentions that by not having to model the insides of the tanks, they can 'crank out' more tanks in no time flat!  I don't like that at all.  That's another thing about Aces High that I love... their attention to detail.  I love looking around the inside of the tanks!  I know it serves little functional purpose but it greatly adds to the immersion of everything.  To me, this seems like yet another sellout move.

I can understand liking the internal eye candy in gv's, but I cant remember the last time I sat and tinkered with the internal views of a tank.  It is not needed any more than the internal views of a plane (think bomber fuselage).  I think it is a SMART move on HTC's part.

Personally, I feel kind of sad that things have to be 'dumbed down' in order to bring in the next generation of players.  Yes I know it has to be done, after all we're not getting any younger here, however I don't know it just seems that there must be a better way without going down the path of 'making this just like that other game'.

See my first reply.  This update is not going to dumb down anything.  It is going to make the interface more simple, but all the mechanics will still need to be learned and executed. With having to learn the numerous and very different tank sights, it will no longer be the "grab and go and use the same-same sighting system" as it is now.

I just hope the HTC is careful about choosing their path.  It may start with tanks, but I'm concerned that it may eventually come down to all the planes looking like this, after all just imagine how many models of planes they can crank out if they don't have to model the cockpit and the internals of the planes!

Again, you are going the wrong direction with your concerns, imo.  The update is going to diversify the gv game, not standardize it.  The only thing they are standardizing is the interface.

Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #140 on: March 25, 2011, 09:00:32 PM »
I think it could also potentially increase the possibility of "close" GV battles now too, as you will now be able to fire while still being able to see where you're going. And your ability to aim will still be better using the optics, so sitting still is still going to be an advantage to aiming.

Not really.  I always liked to take a Sherman and park it right next to a tree with low hanging branches.  From the commanders and/or pintle position all I could see were tree branches but from the main turret I had a clear field of view.  That capability will now be lost and I'll have to park in the open.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #141 on: March 25, 2011, 09:03:37 PM »
Not really.  I always liked to take a Sherman and park it right next to a tree with low hanging branches.  From the commanders and/or pintle position all I could see were tree branches but from the main turret I had a clear field of view.  That capability will now be lost and I'll have to park in the open.

Just pull ahead 6ft.  You'll still be in the shadow and still be camo'd in the green.   :aok
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #142 on: March 25, 2011, 09:19:22 PM »

what makes you think this? the only positions I see eliminated are hull gunner and driver. they are now consolidated to commander/pintle gun. the position of the guns aint gonna change.. the commander might not have a view in the branches, but the main gun still will.

did you watch the video?
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
« Reply #143 on: March 25, 2011, 09:24:55 PM »
No No No No.    :bhead

I think the way it was, was absolutely fantastic, maybe add the pivot for some tanks, but come on. just keep it the way it was. There was no need to change it.  This new addition is REALLY going to drag me away from GVing.

3./JG 53 cheerleader - Battle Over The Winter Line - FLY AXIS - JRjolly

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #144 on: March 25, 2011, 09:34:13 PM »
I just looked up the zoom ability and field of view (FOV) for each tank we currently have in AH.  For reference, the Sherman Pyro demonstrates the new features with is the M4A3 (W) 76mm version.  If AH uses historically accurate sights, that M4 variant has the M.71D gun sight which has a fixed 5X zoom with a 13 degree field of view.  So when comparing the zoom and FOV just reference the video and the scenes of the gun reticule.

M8: 3X w/ 12 degree FOV
M4/75mm: 3X w/ 12 degree FOV
M4/76mm: 5X w/ 13 degree FOV

T34/76: 2.5X w/ 25 degree FOV
T34/85: 2.5X w/ 25 degree FOV

Firefly: 3X and 6X w/ 13 and 9 degree FOV's

Panzer IV H: 2.4X / 25 degree FOV
Panther G: 2.5X and 5X w/ 28 and 14 degree FOV's
Tiger I: 2.5X and 5X w/ 25 and 14 degree FOV's

The Firefly is going to be the king of zoom, but the FOV is also the worst.  I REALLY hope the Germans get their due and HTC models clarity in the tank sight optics.  From what I read the British and Japanese would be a distant second, with US getting honorable mention, and far below everything else: Soviet optics would be like looking though a glass of iced tea.    

The German Panther's gun sights are going to take some getting used to, but once the trick is learned and the user can judge the range of the enemy tank by using the "triangulation" method then I pity the foo' who is on the receiving end.  
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 10:21:10 PM by SmokinLoon »

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #145 on: March 25, 2011, 09:37:49 PM »
No No No No.    :bhead

I think the way it was, was absolutely fantastic, maybe add the pivot for some tanks, but come on. just keep it the way it was. There was no need to change it.  This new addition is REALLY going to drag me away from GVing.

Why?  what is it you do not like?  You are the commander and you are giving your crew orders to execute.  The old (current) system is very linear and stoic while the new system allows for a relative interface.  Pyro uses the term "FPS" style, but I wouldn't quite call it that.   

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #146 on: March 25, 2011, 09:59:00 PM »
Why?  what is it you do not like? 

It is not that they do not like, but that they do not have the ability to understand.......
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #147 on: March 25, 2011, 10:20:01 PM »
It is not that they do not like, but that they do not have the ability to understand.......

Ah, I see your point.  Perhaps a problem with comprehending as well.   ;) 

:)

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #148 on: March 25, 2011, 11:29:37 PM »
The only negatives I can see are, as BE mentions, views from other positions are handy for looking under trees. Especially the driver position.

The Automatic trans will do away with rolling down hills at 180mph. This isn't necessarily a  negative though.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #149 on: March 25, 2011, 11:37:53 PM »
I will find the way to use the change to my advantage what else is new muahahhahaha :devil