Author Topic: refresh my memory why aircraft can see gv icons?  (Read 4265 times)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: refresh my memory why aircraft can see gv icons?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 08:04:33 AM »
why not post a wish for the ground vehicle icon viewing distance to be dropped to 1000 yards from the air as the ma default setting? it would require the icon settings for ground vehicles to be separated from aircraft in the game, but that's just a small coding issue that should be fairly easy to accomplish. with the new gv changes being developed it would be a shame to keep the current settings that according to many of the complaints i've seen posted, discourages those who enjoy using ground vehicles because they are easy targets from the air with that big neon sign visible out past 3000 yards. having separate icon settings for ground vehicles in the arena tables could make incorporating ground vehicles into special events setups a bit more palatable for admins and players.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 08:51:56 AM »
A wirbl can reach out and touch you with laser like accuracy out to 1.5k and you want to reduce icon range to ... what? After you're already dead?

Fail.

No double standards for GVs.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 09:12:52 AM »
A wirbl can reach out and touch you with laser like accuracy out to 1.5k and you want to reduce icon range to ... what? After you're already dead?

Fail.

Can't say I disagree here.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 09:20:50 AM »

Fail.

this.

I'd be ok with reducing the icon range to 1000yds, just as long as its the same for gvs seeing aircraft icons. and turn on killshooter. :devil

anyone know what the numbers are for gvs vs aircraft? personally ive always been griefed more by wirbles ruining a dogfight than by jabos ruining a gv fight ...
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 09:22:35 AM »

Fail.

just like everything else krusty, it would end up being an "acceptable risk" and it should be a two way street...as it stands now, gv's are more vulnerable to lanc stukas than necessary and making an adjustable change for the sake of gameplay should be acceptable to those who choose to attack ground vehicles from the air.

you're too fast to judge without considering both sides of the coin...right now aircraft have it way too easy and it spoils what little ground war there is.
jarhed  

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 09:28:37 AM »
at least lancstukas are usually operating within RL parameters (even if the limits arent modelled and the usage is ahistorical) unlike flaks which fire continuously without reloading ...
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 09:30:08 AM »
IMO the GVs tend to ruin the air war!

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 09:34:08 AM »
Gyrene, I have considered both sides.

I have also considered the GV players major propensity to whine like newborn babes with smacked buttocks if a plane so much as fires a round in the same sector as they did.

Fact of the matter is GVs can't operate with enemy planes overhead. Fact of the matter is most GV players in this game are so caught up in spawn camping and methods of gameplay so far outside historical context that it's laughable, that they don't want their kill streaks interrupted with a bomb. A bomb that was rightfully dropped and rightfully killed them. I've been on both sides of it, but there is a very vocal minority of GV players that scream shout and yell about aircraft around them and it is a detriment to the community to hear the false arguments that GVs are somehow special and worthy of protective sheilds or gamey protection from any air threat.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 10:01:01 AM »
come on krusty, even you have to admit, having a bright red neon sign over your tank visible by an airplane 3k out while your sitting in a stand of trees is just as gamey as camping a spawn. dive bombing runs occur within the 1000 yard envelope now, lowering the icon visibility from the air would not do anything to change that...it could even out the stakes a bit.

personally i don't do much gv'ing so my only stake in it is wanting the ability for special events admins to be able to manipulate the gv icons separately from aircraft...which in turn might make the use of gv's in special events more palatable.
jarhed  

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2011, 10:10:11 AM »

Fail.

Just like in real life, when anti-air elements gave up their position only when they fired, you mean? 

"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2011, 10:13:24 AM »
i forget. there was a reason for this making it easier to land 1k bombs on tanks that are fighting other tanks?

Probably the same reason flaks can see icons of airplanes
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2011, 10:17:05 AM »
well here is the thing if you view the total war simulation as an ecosystem.

the tanks are the bottom of the food chain.

the il2's and b25hs and fighter bombers hunt the tanks.
the fighters kill the jabos.

if I am in an IL2 I can waste 5-6 tanks with ease with just cannons rounds. its too easy. I don't even have to try to look for the tanks I have a big red flag to kill them that the tanks on the ground dont have. and with the titanium trees and 20ft high random small hills I am the only one with an unobstructed line of sight to the target. all tanks in the sim now have at best a snapshot before their target gets behind a titanium bush or a hill.

field acks and manned acks and guns don't have icons. remove enemy gv icons entirely is what I am asking for.

this will give the bottom of the food chain a longer life span of 5 minutes instead of 3 minutes when the sky is filled with jabos. as for flaks? trains dont have icons. don't fly so low if your worried about random ground fire just like the real wartime pilots.

now I am asking for no gv icons from planes. I am well aware HTC will read into this and determine what it is I actually want and not what I am asking for.

What I believe I actually want is a more sustainable food supply for jabos above a ground war. I want more of a challenge of the hunt when flying my new love the il2. its to easy to find the tanks atm. stupid easy. especially compared to the current target aquisition difficulty whiel sitting in a tank. and if the jabos have to actually hunt for the tanks it means they will be sitting fat dumb and happy with eyes on the ground longer for all you fighter pukes dropping in on their unsuspecting heads.

its an ecosystem. the bottom of the food chain needs some balance of camoflage and hiding so it does not get removed entirely from the field of battle by one guy (me) in an il2 in 5 minutes

and remember this request for no gv icons from planes comes from the guy in the il2 who slaughters 5-6 tanks a sortie with ease.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2011, 10:17:42 AM »
   Armored columns were always pounded when the enemy had control of the air. Don't want your GV bombed call in Air support.  :airplane:
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2011, 10:19:56 AM »
i forget. there was a reason for this making it easier to land 1k bombs on tanks that are fighting other tanks?

So you can see them better to hit with rockets. :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2011, 10:36:31 AM »
Here's an idea Citabria : If you're having such an easy time killing
GV's in your IL-2, why don't you just man up and master the PB-1
rockets on the 190-F8 instead?

Instead of hampering all the old farts who can't see in the first place
and removing icons, why not just make the game more challenging for
yourself?

Simply food for thought.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok