Author Topic: black belt patriotism  (Read 2177 times)

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Re: black belt patriotism
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2011, 05:57:26 PM »
But do we really need a calculator that tells us how high and deep to have each step cut on a stringer for the stairs going to our basement or second floor? do we need a fancy GPS system in our tracotrs so a Farmer can get from one field to another? Call me a hypocrit as i have a DROID, but do we need phones that can run do everything we need to do while on the go?
Perhaps not, but what do we lose by having these things?

Offline bagrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2011, 05:58:11 PM »
i dont wanna read your book about how chuck norris wants to round house kicks all the problems away!.......unless it has pictures :uhoh
Last post by bagrat - The last thing you'll see before your thread dies since 2005.

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2011, 06:00:53 PM »
Perhaps not, but what do we lose by having these things?
the actual knowledge of doing it. I feel, and its only my opinon, but technology is making us stupid. we as a nation are not as intelligent as we once were when we had to think about what we were doing.

my thoughts, until you give me more then conclusive evidence that technology is making us smarter by running our brains then I will stand firm by this.
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2011, 06:16:26 PM »
the actual knowledge of doing it. I feel, and its only my opinon, but technology is making us stupid. we as a nation are not as intelligent as we once were when we had to think about what we were doing.

my thoughts, until you give me more then conclusive evidence that technology is making us smarter by running our brains then I will stand firm by this.
Technology removes the need for 'hit and miss' and simple 'try and fail' ways of learning things.
It increases productivity and the upper limits of capability, while at the same time removing the need (except, of course, from a few) the previous knowledge which brought us to this point. That's not a bad thing, that knowledge is largely redundant.

Science and human achievement are built upon improving what knowledge we have and making it obsolete (for lack of a better word).

There's nothing wrong with making menial tasks obsolete, to the point that most people no longer how to do them, in favor of more efficient means, usually based on technology. That's just the progress of human society.

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2011, 06:19:07 PM »
About home schooling: I don't care how good a teacher the parent is, someone who gets home schooled will be missing out on perhaps one of the most critical bits of education - the classroom.  There are so many unspoken things which you learn in there which you'll miss out on in home schooling.
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2011, 06:24:20 PM »
Technology removes the need for 'hit and miss' and simple 'try and fail' ways of learning things.
It increases productivity and the upper limits of capability, while at the same time removing the need (except, of course, from a few) the previous knowledge which brought us to this point. That's not a bad thing, that knowledge is largely redundant.

Science and human achievement are built upon improving what knowledge we have and making it obsolete (for lack of a better word).

There's nothing wrong with making menial tasks obsolete, to the point that most people no longer how to do them, in favor of more efficient means, usually based on technology. That's just the progress of human society.
your right, but with most everything we do going back to technology (thats a given, need saws to cut stuff and the sorts), we need the manufacturing blue collar working man to get back on our feet. in some ways we need technology, but obviously we dont need it running our every day lives.
HogDweeb

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2011, 06:35:33 PM »
Technology is not something that runs your life, it's just a tool that you use as you please.
we need the manufacturing blue collar working man to get back on our feet.
I don't understand how this is contradictory with the use of technology.

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2011, 06:45:57 PM »
I don't understand how this is contradictory with the use of technology.
Look back at the Depression during the 30's. S depression is a prolonged recession, which if im not mistaken we are in a prolonged recession, no? Back to my point, FDR made how many jobs for the unemployed which broke the back of the depression and started pulling us out, nay? theres other reasons for the influx of national wealth then. compare that to now. they had minimal technology, and had to do stuff by hand. In our case Technology has sort of caused this. 2.2 Million for a single aircraft, 1.4 million for a single cruise missle..where are we getting the money for this technology? yes, we have people building these objects, but many of the companies only want people who have a higher education. How many people can afford College? Maybe I'm blinded by the fact that I live in a working community where everything you have you worked for, but I feel we need to back off of technology and continue how we got by 80, 90, `100 hell even a 120 years ago during the Industrial Revolution.

I keep ranting. sorry.
HogDweeb

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2011, 07:04:45 PM »
Look back at the Depression during the 30's. S depression is a prolonged recession, which if im not mistaken we are in a prolonged recession, no? Back to my point, FDR made how many jobs for the unemployed which broke the back of the depression and started pulling us out, nay? theres other reasons for the influx of national wealth then. compare that to now. they had minimal technology, and had to do stuff by hand. In our case Technology has sort of caused this. 2.2 Million for a single aircraft, 1.4 million for a single cruise missle..where are we getting the money for this technology? yes, we have people building these objects, but many of the companies only want people who have a higher education. How many people can afford College? Maybe I'm blinded by the fact that I live in a working community where everything you have you worked for, but I feel we need to back off of technology and continue how we got by 80, 90, `100 hell even a 120 years ago during the Industrial Revolution.

I keep ranting. sorry.
80, 90, 100, 120 years ago they were also on the cutting edge of technology.

but many of the companies only want people who have a higher education
This is only a good thing.
What you're looking for here is a regression.
One of the problems of 'back then' was the exact opposite of this, liquidity of workers. The position of the worker in an environment where anyone with hands can do the work is pretty much worse than slaves, because slaves represent more of an investment.
The more specialized work is, the more education it requires, the better it is, in the end, for the worker. He becomes more of an investment, more specialized, less replaceable.
The only issue is the exclusivity of education, but tearing down progress certainly won't help in that field.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 07:06:23 PM by Motherland »

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2011, 07:07:07 PM »
About home schooling: I don't care how good a teacher the parent is, someone who gets home schooled will be missing out on perhaps one of the most critical bits of education - the classroom.  There are so many unspoken things which you learn in there which you'll miss out on in home schooling.
Yup and the candy arsed way things are handled in schools today you are missing on an education as well...
See Rule #4

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2011, 08:33:17 PM »
the issue with education is not everyone can afford it. In companies looking for more and more people with aa college degree it really limits the amount of people who can be employed due to lack of funds for a college degree.
HogDweeb

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2011, 08:36:47 PM »
the issue with education is not everyone can afford it.
That's what I said ;) if not everyone can afford education, its exclusive.
Unfortunately I doubt we'll ever have free university here like in the rest of the civilized world.

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2011, 08:44:10 PM »
That's what I said ;) if not everyone can afford education, its exclusive.
Unfortunately I doubt we'll ever have free university here like in the rest of the civilized world.
upon re reading I cought that.
HogDweeb

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2011, 09:21:24 PM »
Yup and the candy arsed way things are handled in schools today you are missing on an education as well...

Maybe so, but I'd almost rather be emotionally and socially mature, even if it meant a worse education.  Then again, I've been fortunate enough to have a good education at school, so I don't have a good perspective on this.
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2011, 09:25:24 PM »
And Chuck Norris is going to point the way and lead us all to The Promised Land?  He couldn't even beat Bruce Lee's ass.

ack-ack

don't be to hard on Chuck over that...very few would have been able to beat Bruce.

some Chuck fans are just over the top...I had one tell me that Bruce was his (Chucks) student :rofl