Author Topic: Hot Pad vs. Sortie  (Read 1659 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: Hot Pad vs. Sortie
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2011, 07:07:59 AM »
  It just takes too long. Id rather land, re-up.

That's probably why they don't start a new sortie after using hotpad - that's the only difference between using the rearm pad and getting a new plane.   Without the ability to rearm during same sortie, there'd be no reason for the rearm pads.

Offline SWkiljoy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2011, 04:37:10 PM »
used hotpads ALL the time for base defence when flying a A20G

I wish the hot pad has a sound effect played with it.

I would change it to a nascar's sound of air wrenches, sounds of buzz saws and sledge hammers hitting metal. Maby with mixed human voices yelling things like "common get that ammo in faster, where the heck's that fuel truck!?" 28 seconds later end the sound clip with "GO GO GO!" Punch it and hit wep and off ye go.  :rock
+1!   :rock
Proud member and Flight Leader of the 125th Spartan Warriors
<<S>> SWkiljoy

Offline Razzor 479th

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2011, 05:00:25 PM »
How else would you see a 163 on a front line field?

Hmmm, I didn't think 163's could hotpad and then taxi on a landing skid.   :confused:

RAZOR - PIGS ON THE WING

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2011, 05:08:11 PM »
Hmmm, I didn't think 163's could hotpad and then taxi on a landing skid.   :confused:

Some guys keep their gear and bunny-hop from base to base until they reach the frontline before they drop it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 05:44:48 PM by GNucks »

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2011, 05:44:17 PM »
If you're willing to make the substantial investment of time, there should be some sort of reward.

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2011, 05:45:41 PM »
If you're willing to make the substantial investment of time, there should be some sort of reward.

I disagree. Having the plane on the frontline is reward enough in my opinion.

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2011, 12:30:04 AM »
163s will keep their trolley below 200 mph and feet, dont quote me verbatim, the figures are about that, I'm not sure as I haven't done it in years. You can base hop to the front.
 :noid
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 12:36:32 AM »
The 163 can fly real far without refueling. Just throttle back to 1000 gph fuel consumption, and you can fly at 400mph for 20 mins. No rearm needed on the small maps. I would be curious how you can take off a 163 manually  :devil
AoM
City of ice

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2011, 12:52:34 AM »
The 163 can fly real far without refueling. Just throttle back to 1000 gph fuel consumption, and you can fly at 400mph for 20 mins. No rearm needed on the small maps. I would be curious how you can take off a 163 manually  :devil
Try it, if only just for chits and giggles, even better hop it to their 163 base.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2011, 10:10:36 AM »
My sorties end when the tree says so...... most of the time. :)
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2011, 10:40:50 AM »

I've done it.. and been accused of cheating for it.  It's real simple.. don't "raise" the gear (which makes it drop from the plane like a drop tank) and you can land at every other base or so and refuel.  I've had mine up to close to 300MPH and 8K with keeping the gear intact.  Your fuel economy is HORRIBLE with the gear still attached though.

It's a blast to get a group of guys together for this!  I landed three kills by diving into a large furrball in my 163 last time I did it.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011, 12:20:36 AM »
You can fly it 5 sectors and arrive at a horde at 10k with 4 minutes of fuel for high enough power settings to carve the horde apart.

The hopping is tough and you nearly run out of fuel on some hops if there is a mountain in the way.

I did get one to take off after I powered it on the skid to the hotpad but it took 50% of the fuel and an agonizing amount of grinding along the field while changing trim and elevator to get it over the hump and start accelerating.

Offline Nypsy

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2011, 05:53:45 AM »
What year, you might have chauffeured my team Nov 67 through May 69.

December of 71 thru May of 73 when the 20th closed shop and moved to Hurlburt Field in FL. Hurburt Field is where Jimmy Doolittle and his men prcticed their carrier takoffs btw.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2011, 01:43:53 PM »
used hotpads ALL the time for base defence when flying a A20G

I wish the hot pad has a sound effect played with it.

I would change it to a nascar's sound of air wrenches, sounds of buzz saws and sledge hammers hitting metal. Maby with mixed human voices yelling things like "common get that ammo in faster, where the heck's that fuel truck!?" 28 seconds later end the sound clip with "GO GO GO!" Punch it and hit wep and off ye go.  :rock

-sighs- i love the A20G

I wouldn't mind hearing some hatch fidgeting, clinking, banging, bumping or rattling of ammo belts being fed in the whole 30-second we sit there waiting.  Run to the suggestions forum with this idea, definetley.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 02:09:00 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2011, 01:54:10 PM »

I wouldn't mind hearing some hatch fidgeting, clinking, banking, bumping or rattling of ammo belts being fed in the whole 30-second we sit there waiting.  Run to the suggestions forum with this idea, definetley.
deffinitly. would make me hot pad more often just to hear the sound effects.
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb