Author Topic: A Little Frustrated.  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Cjpedrido

• Zinc Member
A Little Frustrated.
« on: April 24, 2011, 06:51:18 PM »
I am a new player (Skydive) who is frustrated.  I understand there is some skill involved in playing but I find it frustrating that when you are solo & going to attack a field 3 to 5 enemy planes appear out of nowhere and you are dead.  I have found inconstancies in that you can shoot & hit them a lot but if they hit you with one round you are dead.  I have also seen enemy planes scream up from a field I am attacking at jet propelled speeds and at incredible Angles of Attack.  So I am saying it appears a little favoritism is at hand.  Are the red planes real people or computer driven?  I have seen these aircraft do things I do not believe the actual aircraft is capable of performing....maybe I am a victim of computer lag.  Just for the record I am a Pilot in real life.
Anyway I think that for a "new" player there should be some sort of handicap given in the way of damage sustainable so their interest lasts longer than mine.  Also why not highlight or mark the player a "Young" for say 30 days at which time the title & handicap drops.
I would also like to see in the training area practice enemy planes that fly in a circle, zig-zag or similar so that you could target practice without getting constantly killed i.e a drone.
Please also consider a practice bombing run where you could bomb buildings, hangers etc. without getting shot back...the buildings could reset every hour or so.  This would enable new players to figure out the basics.
Lastly in the aforementioned suggestions make the travel distance from host field to target shorter distances.
Just some suggestions to enhance the game to a new player friendly level.
Aloha,
Skydive

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Re: A Little Frustrated.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 06:57:27 PM »
Hi Skydive,

It is a steep and long learning curve to Aces High. You can practice off line and shoot at drones that circle the field. Also the training arena has some excellent instructors who will gladly spend some time with you and explain some things that you may not understand.

Don't hesitate to ask for help. You might get a stupid reply or two, but you can also expect some real help from the players that care.

Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 06:58:35 PM »
You can practice against drones off-line and you can do short run bombing missions in the TA.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 06:59:49 PM »
I think your case is just one of being unfamiliar with the game and flight model.  Give it sometime and as daddog suggested, seek the help of the trainer to get over the flight model learning curve and have them explain how the physics of the game work.  It will help clear up those misconceptions.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Cjpedrido

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 07:25:17 PM »
I just went to the Offline Arena, as recommended,  & I see my suggestions have already been answered.  I sincerely Thank everyone who replied so quickly with all their Advice...it is truly welcome. I have much training to do.
Much Aloha,
Skydive

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 07:35:05 PM »
 Be sure to look at the Offline Missions Forum!

you can install and run various mission thet players have put together and the planes are controlled by AI.

This will give you a somewhat more challenging target than the drones do circling around a base.

:salute

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 08:07:51 PM »
Yeah don't rush "getting it" this game is measured not in weeks or months but to get good (for most) this game is measured in years.

And one of your best tools for a new guy to use is record all your fights with the film viewer to watch after.
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 08:16:47 PM »
Skydive,
I suggest you pick one plane and learn it in-side-out. Once you pick a plane, find a trainer or a good stick who regularly flys it. Then ask them how to fly it, fight with it, etc..

--Bunnies

Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline K-KEN

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 08:35:02 PM »
The Trainers are skilled folks and can help you with some ACM. (Aircraft Maneuvers)
SA (Situational Awareness) is learned...with much dying and practice.

And by the way, there are no, none zero - AI planes in any arenas. Auto Ack is basically the only AI in Aces High.
Trains are also AI and will shoot you down if you find one!  :)

I spent 2 weeks offline before ever trying online play-back in the day. I had a few years of online flying, but this is a bit more, as you have seen.

Best Wishes and keep trying. It's a really fun time and place.

:rock

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 08:41:23 PM »
When I started, I found out about the trainers page on teh HTC site, and http://www.netaces.org/.  I spent a week reading and learning basic flight manuvers (sp), and still flew for weeks without landing kills on a regular basis. 

The entire reason people stick around in this game IS that it's not easy.  Anything worth having, is worth working for.

BTW, often going to the training area, and asking for someone to be a target for you may get you some practice without much damage.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 08:52:36 PM »
Skydive, please check your private messages.  :salute

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 08:57:32 PM »
Be patient,as there are many very good pilots in this game.Don't worry about getting killed.Think more along the lines of what did I do to get killed.Get used to one plane and stick with it.Filming is important as you can see your mistakes,and correct them.Soon you will slowly improve,and just try and have fun.Get in a good squad and wing up.Few do it in this game,and I've never
 been able to figure that one out.Most fly solo,and end up getting banged.
The Dawg

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 09:02:46 PM »
It took me 3 months to get my first kill.  another six to figure out that if i learned to fly a spit9 first then I wouldn't be such an easy kill. then a few more months to realize I didnt really care about if i got killed or I got the kill.  It was the fight itself that was the reward.  most people here will not play for the kills but more for the fun of just flying around.

my best fight yet is when i lasted a minute against 7 cons in a turn fight, damaged 3 of them a little but no kills.  that is the one i remember the most.  that was so intense, I had to go p afterwards.  I havent really been able to top that one.  that was a little more than a year after I first started.

just have fun and make friends.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 09:14:35 PM »
It's a tough Learning curve as yo uare seeing, and read. As mentioned find a plane, learn it inside and out and stick to it. Recording most, if not, everything will be your best friend. In your OP I noticed you mentioned "one shot kills by others" and "Enemies doing things planes shouldnt be able to do". Many times you may only hear one or two pings, but the grim reality is that you were shot many more times. Internet Lag will play funny things on you i nthis game. The planes doing things they shouldnt, it isn't that they're doing things they cant do, its that with time, expierence and knowing your plane you will be able to better angle yourself for an advantage. As Guncrasher said, he learned using a Spit 9 didnt make him as easy a target. Spitfires are nimble, and many reccomend hem to a new player. Stick to it, you will go far.  :salute
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
Hi Skydive,

It is a steep and long learning curve to Aces High. You can practice off line and shoot at drones that circle the field. Also the training arena has some excellent instructors who will gladly spend some time with you and explain some things that you may not understand.

Don't hesitate to ask for help. You might get a stupid reply or two, but you can also expect some real help from the players that care.

As for your perception that aircraft are doing things that dont seem probable, many people, myself included experience similar illusions when first trying the game. This may be because of a lack of awareness of your air speed, inexperience in judging the airspeed of other aircraft, and inexperience in managing your energy state. All of these are critical and even if you are expert at these things you could go to another flight sim and experience the same thing all over again.

If you have never played a combat flight game before against LIVE opponents, (AI doesnt compare) expect a learning curve of at least a year and a half of hard playing to get good.

The very best way to learn the basics and get better at this game is to do 1 versus 1 duels in the same aircraft at least half of your playing time. There is absolutely no substitute for this kind of self evaluation and improvement.

good luck
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod