Author Topic: the farce has lasted long enough...  (Read 6838 times)

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
Re: the farce has lasted long enough...
« Reply #150 on: May 04, 2011, 02:45:29 PM »
Actually I was there for the F4U1C, but I couldn't fly fighters for **** back then.

That was definitely a plane worthy of perking.  Didn't the F4U-1C have something like half the MA kills for a couple of tours?  It was pretty much the only plane you'd see flying around back then.  Torque was the master of the F4U-1C if I recall correctly.

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #151 on: May 04, 2011, 03:51:17 PM »
I do remember watching mega hordes of F4U1C's from the tower. Didn't they implement the perking system especially for that plane at first?
now posting as SirNuke

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #152 on: May 04, 2011, 03:52:56 PM »
PERK THE Focke-Wulf 190 A-5!!!    it's uber, i swear.
-AoM-

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #153 on: May 04, 2011, 03:58:49 PM »
That was definitely a plane worthy of perking.  Didn't the F4U-1C have something like half the MA kills for a couple of tours?  It was pretty much the only plane you'd see flying around back then.  Torque was the master of the F4U-1C if I recall correctly.
I do remember watching mega hordes of F4U1C's from the tower. Didn't they implement the perking system especially for that plane at first?

My memory may be a bit fuzzy, but I believe the statistic was closer to 20% of all MA kills, I don't believe it was the first perk plane though, the perk was added later and I think we already had planes like the Tempest and Spit XIV in game before that. 
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #154 on: May 04, 2011, 04:16:06 PM »
I wish we had a button 'report to lusche' for when we need stats :)
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #155 on: May 04, 2011, 06:00:06 PM »
My memory may be a bit fuzzy, but I believe the statistic was closer to 20% of all MA kills, I don't believe it was the first perk plane though, the perk was added later and I think we already had planes like the Tempest and Spit XIV in game before that. 

I don't recall right off, though I'm fairly certain the Tempest and Spit XIV came along later.  I recall moving from the F4U-1C (which everyone flew) into the P-47 and later the Typhoon when it was first introduced.  I'm not sure when perks came along - probably when they introduced the 262 - but the F4U-1C was one of the earliest planes on the perk list.

I honestly don't recall the percentage of arena kills, though it is important to remember that there were way fewer planes to choose from back then as well.  It wouldn't have been outside the realm of reason to have one utterly dominant plane rack up a ridiculous percentage of kills.  Certainly is was more than any unperked plane today, including the P-51 and the Spit XVI.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #156 on: May 04, 2011, 06:07:23 PM »
I don't recall right off, though I'm fairly certain the Tempest and Spit XIV came along later.  I recall moving from the F4U-1C (which everyone flew) into the P-47 and later the Typhoon when it was first introduced.  I'm not sure when perks came along - probably when they introduced the 262 - but the F4U-1C was one of the earliest planes on the perk list.

I honestly don't recall the percentage of arena kills, though it is important to remember that there were way fewer planes to choose from back then as well.  It wouldn't have been outside the realm of reason to have one utterly dominant plane rack up a ridiculous percentage of kills.  Certainly is was more than any unperked plane today, including the P-51 and the Spit XVI.

We got the Tempest and the Spitfire Mk XIV after the F4U-1C.  I agree that back when the plane list was a lot smaller that the impact the of the unbalance created by the F4U-1C was much greater and with our current plane list it wouldn't be the unbalancing factor it was back then.  Which is why I feel that the F4U-1C really no longer needs to be perked.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #157 on: May 04, 2011, 08:38:13 PM »
QFT   :aok

We got the Tempest and the Spitfire Mk XIV after the F4U-1C.  I agree that back when the plane list was a lot smaller that the impact the of the unbalance created by the F4U-1C was much greater and with our current plane list it wouldn't be the unbalancing factor it was back then.  Which is why I feel that the F4U-1C really no longer needs to be perked.

ack-ack
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #158 on: May 04, 2011, 11:24:12 PM »
I couldn't disagree MORE.

I've run across many spit16s and many spit9s in this game. You can fight a spit9. It doesn't have the horsepower to go up as much in verticals and the instantaneous turn and roll is not nearly as sharp as the spit16. The spit16 doesn't drop wings much at all IMO. Calling it prone to "snap stalling" is like saying the A6M2 is prone to snap stalling. I'm sure you CAN do it... but the effort it would take would be a clinical exercise rather than a real detriment in combat.

Anybody that comes up against a spit9 has a chance in the MA. You run into a spit16 and it holds ALL the cards. Its' performance is that good.

I wouldn't call it a snap stall but the XVI does have a tendancy to wobble in an extremely low speed fight.  Enough to make the difference in the outcome of the fight as the pilot has to level momentarily to catch it.  That danger zone is right around 85 mph and I've been there too many times to count.

You also don't give the Spit IX enough credit.  I started in the IX, switched to the XVI when it was introduced and have largely moved back to the IX.  I see no appreciable difference in most fights other than added stability and a slightly less effective gun package.  The verticle performance is still good enough to keep a fight with a XVI on nearly equal terms and the IX is actually a much smoother (easier) handling plane.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #159 on: May 04, 2011, 11:30:41 PM »
Since the P51 can easily disengage and later re-engage so he dictates the fight. It takes a bit of trickery to make a P51 bleed enough E where he can't extend away, outside guns range, and most don't fall for it. As the old saying goes, speed dictates the fight if the P51 wants to stay out of harms way, with half a brain he will be able to do so.

"Most don't fall for it" means most P-51s one pass haul bellybutton at 500 mph and are never a credible threat. If the Pony actually engages in such a manner he has a shot, the P-38 has quite a good chance of turning the tables.

People argue that speed is everything in this game, but the Pony is not faster than a D9, K4, La7, or Typhoon, and the 2nd most popular plane is the only moderately fast SpitXVI
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #160 on: May 05, 2011, 12:45:44 AM »
I suspect the main reasons the P-51D is more popular than the Spitfire Mk XVI are:

1) It is the P-51D Mustang.
2) It can carry two 1,000lb bombs and six rockets.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #161 on: May 05, 2011, 12:48:13 AM »
I suspect the main reasons the P-51D is more popular than the Spitfire Mk XVI are:

1) It is the P-51D Mustang.
2) It can carry two 1,000lb bombs and six rockets.

I think the speed also has a lot to do with it.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #162 on: May 05, 2011, 12:50:47 AM »
I think the speed also has a lot to do with it.
It plays a part, yes.  I'd say it is likely #3, but fairly far down as somebody wanting speed before all else will pick something faster like an Fw190D-9, Bf109K-4, Typhoon Mk Ib or La-7.  Fuel endurance will also be a reason for some.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #163 on: May 05, 2011, 12:52:37 AM »
It plays a part, yes.  I'd say it is likely #3, but fairly far down as somebody wanting speed before all else will pick something faster like an Fw190D-9, Bf109K-4, Typhoon Mk Ib or La-7.  Fuel endurance will also be a reason for some.

Agreed, I'd put the speed at #3.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #164 on: May 05, 2011, 01:10:58 AM »
I wouldn't call it a snap stall but the XVI does have a tendancy to wobble in an extremely low speed fight.  Enough to make the difference in the outcome of the fight as the pilot has to level momentarily to catch it.  That danger zone is right around 85 mph and I've been there too many times to count.

You also don't give the Spit IX enough credit.  I started in the IX, switched to the XVI when it was introduced and have largely moved back to the IX.  I see no appreciable difference in most fights other than added stability and a slightly less effective gun package.  The verticle performance is still good enough to keep a fight with a XVI on nearly equal terms and the IX is actually a much smoother (easier) handling plane.

Not griping at you btw :)

The IX has an engine rated for higher alts.  As has been said too many times to count.  The Spit XVI is nothing more then an LFIXe with clipped wings.  it's engine is rated for better performance at lower alt. 

It's the same airframe! 

How bout HTC gives us a full span LFIXe to go with the FIX? :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters