Author Topic: GV's Ditching  (Read 633 times)

Offline qbert55ca

• Zinc Member
GV's Ditching
« on: May 01, 2011, 02:52:47 AM »
Since the update, everytime i;m in a GV and go to tower out after battle I get a ditch instead of a proper sortie end. 2 time tonight alone I towered out on cement only to get a ditch.

On another note, the bases are showing the the surrounding hills. If you approach a base a lot of times you can see the base runways in front of you.

Robert

Offline kilroy

• Zinc Member
Re: GV's Ditching
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 07:50:30 AM »
Happened to me too, I found out that you have to have engine off in GV to land successfully.
 :salute

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 12:15:12 PM »
i'm curious, how are you guys coming to a stop..  holding down s or just shift s

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline kilroy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 03:17:09 PM »
I was holding down S till stopped, but if engine was running I got a ditch on concrete. It happened when I was resupplying a field with an M3. Someone suggested turning engine off and that worked.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 05:10:45 PM »
i ask because I'm thinkin if you hold down s, you might actually be going into reverse and creeping very slowly.
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Flayed

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 04:46:40 AM »
 I had a thought on this.  Ever since the patch when the GV should be in neutral it liked to move in the direction of what ever force was last applied to it.   I have film of my M3 sliding left into a hill on what looked like level terrain after I slowed and stopped beside it. (though with the new model I have no indicator of what attitude my M3 was actually at.)   

I also have film of stopping on a slope in neutral and sliding into a house to my left down slope in a T34-76 (at least I think that one is on film).    At any rate the problem seems to be that  neutral seems to let your GV slip in what ever direction force is applied to it in.  IE you were moving forward on level ground it wants to continue moving forward. Or if you stop on a slope that slants to the left or right your GV will slip in the direction downward force dictates...  Unless you shut off your engine which seems to negate the laws of physics and stop your GV in it's tracks. lol  :D

I would guess HT or whom ever is in charge of programming for the gravitational pull of GV's needs to add a little more stopping power to the neutral gear. :)   

P.S.  HT I would suggest you blame Pyro for this because I lost a Tiger tonight fully stopped in a VH (at least I thought it was fully stopped)     
 Pyro I wouldn't throw you under the bus like this but I've never had any correspondence with you or I might have your back and we could blame suds or something. :P    We all know Skuzz is the man and Waffle was a former squad mate .   Rosie has a very nice voice on the phone (not that you don't but I don't know that I've ever talked to you.)    And superfly well I don't want to have any trouble with him or I might find a Flayed1 SUCKS sticker in the remodeled B-26 or something.......    Anyway hope this helps if you would like one of the films I'll see about sending it in...  Just might save Pyro's hide :P
Bringing peace to the MA's 1 explody thingy at a time! :)

Pork em Pork em all!!!
  And the best quote EVERRRRR!!!
"All I can say is wow,some people are really stuck on stupid."
HiTech

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 11:06:49 AM »
I had a thought on this.  Ever since the patch when the GV should be in neutral it liked to move in the direction of what ever force was last applied to it.   I have film of my M3 sliding left into a hill on what looked like level terrain after I slowed and stopped beside it. (though with the new model I have no indicator of what attitude my M3 was actually at.)   

I also have film of stopping on a slope in neutral and sliding into a house to my left down slope in a T34-76 (at least I think that one is on film).    At any rate the problem seems to be that  neutral seems to let your GV slip in what ever direction force is applied to it in.  IE you were moving forward on level ground it wants to continue moving forward. Or if you stop on a slope that slants to the left or right your GV will slip in the direction downward force dictates...  Unless you shut off your engine which seems to negate the laws of physics and stop your GV in it's tracks. lol  :D

I would guess HT or whom ever is in charge of programming for the gravitational pull of GV's needs to add a little more stopping power to the neutral gear. :)   

P.S.  HT I would suggest you blame Pyro for this because I lost a Tiger tonight fully stopped in a VH (at least I thought it was fully stopped)     
 Pyro I wouldn't throw you under the bus like this but I've never had any correspondence with you or I might have your back and we could blame suds or something. :P    We all know Skuzz is the man and Waffle was a former squad mate .   Rosie has a very nice voice on the phone (not that you don't but I don't know that I've ever talked to you.)    And superfly well I don't want to have any trouble with him or I might find a Flayed1 SUCKS sticker in the remodeled B-26 or something.......    Anyway hope this helps if you would like one of the films I'll see about sending it in...  Just might save Pyro's hide :P
pretend its a true automatic transmission ;) its gonna roll thataways so shut it off :aok
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Flayed

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »
 Every vehicle with an automatic transmission I've ever driven had a thing called a break peddle lol. Also this is not supposed to be simulating a true automatic transmission but a driver shifting through the gears as he drives.      Are you saying that our tanks and such do not have breaks or that our batch of drivers just have weak legs?   :headscratch:

Not to mention that this would not affect the GV's sliding sideways with the engine on unless something is soooo out of balance that the engine vibrates so much it sort of hops down slope.  In that case I would like to fire the guys in the motor pool. :)   

Pork em Pork em all!!!
HiTech

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 01:56:40 PM »
Every vehicle with an automatic transmission I've ever driven had a thing called a break peddle lol. Also this is not supposed to be simulating a true automatic transmission but a driver shifting through the gears as he drives.      Are you saying that our tanks and such do not have breaks or that our batch of drivers just have weak legs?   :headscratch:

Not to mention that this would not affect the GV's sliding sideways with the engine on unless something is soooo out of balance that the engine vibrates so much it sort of hops down slope.  In that case I would like to fire the guys in the motor pool. :)   

Damn!

Mine always had brake pedals...   
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Flayed

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 03:51:39 PM »
 Yes I'm sorry spelling was never my best subject and spell check didn't catch that one.  I must be related to HiTech.    :D

Pork em Pork em all!!!
HiTech

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 03:52:39 PM »
Yes I'm sorry spelling was never my best subject and spell check didn't catch that one.  I must be related to HiTech.    :D

:rofl
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 05:14:44 AM »
I noticed the slippage on incline also.  I believe the answer to both problems, ditch on concrete and hill slippage are "avoided" by shutting engine off.  On a good note, I love the level of control of speed and steering while aiming the turret.  This has to be the most realistic representation of a Tank team.  And tonight when I got one track damaged in an T34 it felt like only one track was moving and making the tight swivle that you would expect when one side has lost its tracks.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 02:05:43 PM »
I did some testing today.

I found that under some circumstances my tank would start to "slide" very slowly (on flat ground!) after firing the main gun. I noticed that only by slight, constant deviations in the gunsight. I could stop this micro-slide by using the shift-s "all stop" key, but after the next round the tank was doing it again. In other positions this slight movement wasn't even noticeable. But it gave me a ditch. When I didn't have the engine running, this effect never happened.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 06:32:50 PM »
I did some testing today.

I found that under some circumstances my tank would start to "slide" very slowly (on flat ground!) after firing the main gun. I noticed that only by slight, constant deviations in the gunsight. I could stop this micro-slide by using the shift-s "all stop" key, but after the next round the tank was doing it again. In other positions this slight movement wasn't even noticeable. But it gave me a ditch. When I didn't have the engine running, this effect never happened.

I've noticed the same thing. I was attrributing it to inadvertant control inputs on my part. IE, I was hitting one of my newly mapped control buttons on my stick or throttle when I didn't mean to.

Not used to the new mapping yet.

Shutting off the engine keeps you from moving though.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay