Author Topic: No more spawn camping?  (Read 1857 times)

Offline shdo

• Zinc Member
Re: No more spawn camping?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 01:32:24 PM »
Tie engine off or on to the auto takeoff in the clipboard.

-50 horrible idea.  I never use auto-take off and while I wouldn't mind an option to start engine off/on I don't even want to have to think about turning on/off auto-take off.

shdo

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 06:15:39 PM »
It's not like if you're camping a spawn they'll suddenly spawn behind you.

wrongway
innnnnterreesstttiinnggggggg :t :bolt: :rofl :rofl :rofl
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline jamdive

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011, 07:34:34 PM »
This idea looks good on paper...But thats about it. Probably should get more input from folks that rarely gv.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 09:48:25 PM »
Most of my tank kills are from spawning in and sweeping the turret around immediately.........and many times finding a spawn camper pointed elsewhere.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2011, 08:15:01 AM »
Tie engine off or on to the auto takeoff in the clipboard.

I would have to agree with this or something similar for most of the reasons already given.
There are times when its advantageous to spawn with your engine running And there are times when its the last thing you want. Being able to select would allow the players to decide for themselves based on their current circumstances.

Sooo.  I havent checked it out yet so how much more random is the spawn now?
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2011, 08:19:36 AM »
I would have to agree with this or something similar for most of the reasons already given.
There are times when its advantageous to spawn with your engine running And there are times when its the last thing you want. Being able to select would allow the players to decide for themselves based on their current circumstances.

Sooo.  I havent checked it out yet so how much more random is the spawn now?

It is my understanding of the update note that they only added
an option that allows the host (thinking server admin) to control
the randomness of vehicle spawns. I doubt this is correct.

There are a few other things that I could assume based off those
notes, but I doubt any are right.

The spawns could very well be the same in the MAs for all I know.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2011, 08:35:21 AM »
It is my understanding of the update note that they only added
an option that allows the host (thinking server admin) to control
the randomness of vehicle spawns. I doubt this is correct.

There are a few other things that I could assume based off those
notes, but I doubt any are right.

The spawns could very well be the same in the MAs for all I know.

Oh.  I was hoping they did one of two things.
Either increased the area of the random spawn area by 2-3X (wider spawn area)

Orrr Set it so the spawn area would either be in its traditional locations with no campers allowed or so that anyone spawning into an area would automatically spawn in no closer then say 2,000 yards from the nearest GV from an opposing side

To clarify. If no enemy GV is within 2,000 yards of a spawn You would spawn into the traditional spawn area.
But if there is an enemy GV within 2K yards of the traditional spawn area. You would automatically spawn in no closer to an enemy then 2K yards

This second option makes sense to me if your going to spawn with the engine running because to would then give the person spawning in a chance to move.
The old way I've sometimes been shot into the tower almost before my graphics have had a chance to completely load let alone be able to swing my turret around or start my engine.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline jamdive

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2011, 10:04:51 AM »
To clarify. If no enemy GV is within 2,000 yards of a spawn You would spawn into the traditional spawn area.
But if there is an enemy GV within 2K yards of the traditional spawn area. You would automatically spawn in no closer to an enemy then 2K yards

There should be NO gamey way to tell if there is a gv lurking in the weeds such as the above stated or towering out in a jeep to check the spawn and see if you get a ditch or successful land. To make it so that there is a place for you to land at in enemy territory they could make random landing spots that only the landing gv can see via a certain radio tower pad, house, barn or building recognizable for that purpose. That would keep people from camping a landing post.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2011, 10:23:03 AM »
There should be NO gamey way to tell if there is a gv lurking in the weeds such as the above stated or towering out in a jeep to check the spawn and see if you get a ditch or successful land. To make it so that there is a place for you to land at in enemy territory they could make random landing spots that only the landing gv can see via a certain radio tower pad, house, barn or building recognizable for that purpose. That would keep people from camping a landing post.

I suppose that we could look at offline arena setup options to see exactly what new settings do.  I am kind of pressed for time and hope to find answers here, that I can test in the arena with other live participants.  That' just me.

The whole concept of landing kills anywhere other than a designated safe area is gamey.  The problem is, spawn camps are actually gamey.  But who is going to spend close to 1/2 an hour to drive somewhere to get whacked and then drive another 1/2 an hour to do it over again? 

So, spawning a jeep in and getting a ditch or whatever, does have some risk attached to it.  I have heard of folks filming a portion of their battle and going to the film viewer to find the hiding spot of their enemy and then returning to the game to hunt that location with the information gained from that film.  Now, THAT is gamey.

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2011, 10:31:03 AM »
+1000 for ANYTHING done to make it more difficult/impossible to spawn camp. Yes, I've done it, and have camped hangers as well. But it does suck, and is NOT a "GV fight" in my definition of the term, it's an ambush and "GV slaughter" where (at least the ones I've witnessed from both sides) one side has preactically all the advantage and the other side is pretty much unable to do a thing about it other than come back in the air with ords.

Make the spawn area 3X-4X larger than it currently is, make the spawn-ins much more random, and I think Dred's idea of GVs not spawning in any closer than 2K to ANY enemy GV is a great idea.

No more feeding from the spawn point buffet.
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline jamdive

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2011, 10:36:19 AM »
It doesnt matter if its at a spawn or half the way to our base. If me and 2 or 3 other good gv guys set up at a bottleneck, your not going to make it. Waiting for a tank to drive to your base then killing it will still be called spawn camping by some..lol

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2011, 11:10:45 AM »
It doesnt matter if its at a spawn or half the way to our base. If me and 2 or 3 other good gv guys set up at a bottleneck, your not going to make it.

And that is fine. No one said anything about making everyone equal.... some people will always be better at GVing than others, no different than bombing, jabo, or dogfighting.

But at least everyone gets off the spawn and to a hiding place to figure out their next move.

Waiting for a tank to drive to your base then killing it will still be called spawn camping by some..lol

There will always be whiners.
Floyd

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2011, 11:10:49 AM »
I've said it before. I'll say it again.

GVing is all about spawn camping.

Mutual spawn camping makes it even more popular, IE V85-V88.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline jamdive

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2011, 11:26:24 AM »

wrongway
Yep, so leave it alone.

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2011, 11:29:34 AM »

wrongway

That's fun sometimes, unless one side has the other spawn heavily camped then it's just a massacre. The most fun for me is a GV battle between 2 V-bases that are close together, each side meeting somewhere between, but not able to get too close to the opposing V-base (unless they love getting tagged by 17lbers).... not much camping, just fighting from one safe spot to the next...

But yeh, when you have two GV spawns next to each other, out in the middle of nowhere.... sometimes those can be fun... unless they're too camped!
Floyd