Author Topic: views sticking  (Read 852 times)

Offline 2Niner

• Zinc Member
views sticking
« on: May 25, 2011, 10:19:09 AM »
I have USB CH stick,pedals and throttle.  I have been experiencing quite abit of views sticking where it wont return to cockpit view when the button is released.  I have asked others in the game if they have also experience this problem and they acknowledged that they have. and they have other brand sticks and rudders. such as sitex.

at first i thought it was the ch products going bad. but, I installed a new stick and the problem is still there.  anyone have a cure or is it a problem in the game.

thanks.

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
Re: views sticking
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 10:47:57 AM »
On odd occassions I get this happening - I am not sure what is causing it. It is almost as if the release of the "key" is not being recorded. I very quickly fix it while flying by just selecting the "stuck" view. The problem only seems to materialise when I am going through some views exceedingly quickly. I don't recall it ever happening when I am taking a more sedate look around. It happens to me in a rear quarter view mostly but that is a single key press because I have 1,3,7 and 9 mapped in my gear for the quarter views

Edit: One other thing is it does not seem to affect the other views which continue to operate correctly. It has the effect of a temporary default view and returns to the "stuck" view only when you stop looking around. Next time it happens I will try throwing in the 5 key to see if I do get straight up! or a mixed of part up.

I have just tried mine frantic viewing in autoclimb, got to 20K and still not stuck once - it shows just how often it actually happens to me - maybe just once in a whole evening of flying.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 11:17:59 AM by Blagard »

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 07:13:04 AM »
Last night I did have a view stick. Unusal this time as it was a front right quarter, which I don't recall happening before.

I carefully checked it out with other keys to confirm that it was just as if the key was held down. Yes it was behaving as a held down key. When I used straight up I got the in between view of straight up and the front quarter.

I then cleared the problem by selecting the front right view after which I was back to straight ahead again.

Next time I will try clearing it with my keypad to discover if it either the hardware stuck or a software issue.

Offline 2Niner

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 12:19:59 PM »
yesterday I have several view sticks during a single flight.  I to did what you did. went back to the straight foreward view and to another view and it went back to the original sticking view.  I then went back to the straight ahead view and had to wait about 30 seconds and then was able to switch views again without a sticking view.  But that dident last long. a few minutes later I was back to the sticking views again.

I am convinced that it is not the CH equipment, I have a new stick and the problem still exists. I believe it is a problem with the game due to the fact other players with different flight equipment are experiencing the same problem.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 01:19:08 PM »
In the 10 years I've been playing the only time I've had a view stick is when I had a problem with my CH stick. I replaced a switch under the hat and it's been fine since.

While not everyone posts here, or reads these posts, I'd think there would be a heck of a lot more traffic about a "view sticking" problem if it was a game related thing.

Most likely you have a bit of cherry syrup from that popsicle you had the other night causing one of you buttons to hang up now and then.

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 01:55:41 PM »
Most likely you have a bit of cherry syrup from that popsicle you had the other night causing one of you buttons to hang up now and then.
  :) Well it could be and I am inclined to agree it is most likely a hardware issue, more to do with extensive use in my case.

I intend to do what I can to satisfy myself for certain. CH stuff is generally so good it would be extremely bad luck that the OP has had the same problem twice in a row. As for other makes with sticking hat views, well what else can they expect if its not CH  ;)

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 02:09:48 PM »
Have you checked it out in windows? Although it is a new stick...it doesn't eliminate the chance that there is a fault....I personally haven't had a views issue but a quick check out of game couldn't hurt.

Offline 2Niner

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 04:13:33 PM »
fugative; its possible there are more then a few having the view problem. but, not as frequently as i have experiences and they just shrug it off.  the stick is a new replacement and no popsicle involved.

are you responders to this post using the CH manager.  wonder if that has anything to do with my problem.

thanks.

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 05:44:21 PM »
are you responders to this post using the CH manager.  wonder if that has anything to do with my problem.

2Niner I use CH Control Manager Version 4.2  
I believe the latest version is 4.51 But I do not know what they have done to get there. (Possibly Later Windows version support? I use XP).

The problem seems isolated to using views and then it is intermittant which makes it hard to check.
In my case I use the 8 way on my Pro-Throttle for my views, I get the impression you use the 8 way on your stick.

I wondered if any of the keyboard settings have any impact on the issue. e.g. I have had charcter repeat set at max for years. Then I found something interesting in the CH forum as pasted below about a stuck key

"Tapping the key will usually unlock anything that's stuck. If the key gets stuck because of something the map sends, look on the Program Setting tab (far left on the CM GUI) for a box named "Character Rate". It defaults to 50, but you can set it from 25 to 200. Set it way up, 150 maybe, and try that. It sets the time the character is held and has to be at least one sim frame. One frame down, one frame up. If it's shorter than that, the sim may miss the release and leave the key stuck. A setting of 150 is usually too long to be useful, but if it sorts things out you can start bringing the value back down until you start to have problems again. The only way to "fix" if the characters are still too slow is to pump up the framerate somehow."

Worth looking at I think.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 07:48:10 PM by Blagard »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 05:50:22 PM »
fugative; its possible there are more then a few having the view problem. but, not as frequently as i have experiences and they just shrug it off.  the stick is a new replacement and no popsicle involved.

are you responders to this post using the CH manager.  wonder if that has anything to do with my problem.

thanks.

That could very much be your problem. If you don't get all the "on"s and "off"s right it WILL hang on a button press.

Personally I don't use the CH manager. Aces High has a very good system to use and it's easy to set-up.

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 06:17:06 PM »
That could very much be your problem. If you don't get all the "on"s and "off"s right it WILL hang on a button press.

A good point although if the OP has used the CH Control Manager correctly he only needs to enter the "key" for press. There is a option to program a different key on release but that field should be left blank when using just the one key.

On another point relating to the post I copied from the CH Forum, I found my own character rate was set at 25 in CM, not a so called default of 50. I have changed mine to 50 to see what if any effect it has.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 09:06:46 PM »
Hitech said this in another thread...

Sounds like stuck key, I.E. windows didn't see it come up. Can happen when you have 3 or more keys down at 1 time.

Maybe you have too many button pushes programmed to one button and Windows is causing the error.

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 02:02:20 AM »
Hitech said this in another thread...

Sounds like stuck key, I.E. windows didn't see it come up. Can happen when you have 3 or more keys down at 1 time.

Maybe you have too many button pushes programmed to one button and Windows is causing the error.
At the time mine sticks I will have a maximum of 2 view "keys" pressed. 1 of the eight flat views and perhaps the 5 straight up key so nothing unusal there. I don't think I am ever holding down a trigger when that happens, and I would not be using flaps to manouvre. It did happen to me again last night this time on the right view. So I have now experienced a stuck view in three different positions that I am certain of. I am convinced that is not a hardware problem with the switches. Something somewhere is causing the problem and I am suspecting software more and more. My CH Manager is unchanged since I first installed it some years ago, yet I have had a stuck view on three consecutive sessions on line.

I think I will try testing more with multiple keys in use to see what happens then. Incidentally I had my key character rate upped to 50 on the last session after years of it being at 25
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 04:34:19 AM by Blagard »

Offline 2Niner

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 05:29:56 PM »
yes blagard I use the 8 way on my stick.  I just went into the programs setting tab and the character rate was 50.  I jacked it up to 150 and will give it a try tonight.  As I recall, I did use CH manager 4.2 when i first started playing aces high about 4 + yrs ago and at that time i was using winXP. and never experienced this problem. I now use win7 with CH 4.51.

I have a friend who playes aces high and uses winxp with ch 4.51 and he also has an occassional view sticking problem. but, not a frequent as i do.  Wonder if CH manager 4.51 could be the problem?

Offline CRYPTIC

• Nickel Member
      • 365th-FBG  HELL HAWKS
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 02:10:10 PM »
As the friend I us the CHCM and us scripts. I believe the fugitive is right that it's a combination of pressing to many keys at once or cycling through the views to fast. This is when I have the stuck key problem. It's like you hit another key when that key is pressed or hasn't returned yet. Then it defaults to that view.

I'll never get rid of the CHCM I love my scripts. Push 1 button fire rockets and the cycle to bombs drop them and then cycles to my guns. Just one button push. There are a couple things you have to make sure are set first. Salvo 2 rockets set then it will work. It shoots 2 sets of 2 rockets and then drops 2 bombs hanger down. very easy. This is just one my favorite one. To many to list that I have for my set-up.

2niner has advancing the key setting from 50 to 150 helped?  Let us know if that worked.
365th-FBG Hell Hawks XO
365th-FBG Hell Hawks