Author Topic: unperk the spit14  (Read 3330 times)

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
Re: unperk the spit14
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2011, 01:37:56 AM »
I agree.  It was once the P51D, but the 190D is the current "pick and extend" preferred flavor.  For the record, I personally believe that this behavior is more detrimental to the game then HOs.  Unfortunately, the scoring system seems to reward folks who only attack with advantage and extend (run) the second that that advantage is in doubt.
Thats why i hold a break.
Btw. to understand the spit14s perk price, compare it to its closest opponent, the 109 K-4. What are the major differences, simmilarities?
Their speed is real close, but the 109K is faster with and without wep up to 25K, where the spitfire overtakes. The 109 has much longer wep.
They climb about the same up to 23K, where the spit overtakes. Again, the K-4 has way longer wep, whats more inportant than those little differences.
The spitfire wins in the turn rate, but the 109 wins in the turn radius and handling. In a rolling scissors situation i would be in the K-4 (im curious about MachFly's opinion).
Both planes have serious problems with diving. The K-4 cant exceed 430mph without violent compression while the spits ailerons are about to useless above 400mph and its pretty much likely to lose its wings at about 8G.
The hispanos are besically better weapons, even tho i would choose the tater.
The spitfire is more fragile while the 109 loses its radiator all the time. A fuel tank hit in the 109 means the end of the sortie in one minute. Also the 109 has real poor visibility.

Both are awsome rides, have their ups and downs. Im happy with the K-4s eny, best perk farmer in game, but i have no idea why is the spit14 perked. Its a monster in the events, but nothing special in the MAs compared to the non-perked la-7 or the 109K.
AoM
City of ice

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2011, 04:12:55 AM »
been there done that, +1 unperk it
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2011, 09:46:43 AM »
I really hope HiTech sees this thread
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2011, 10:19:47 AM »
Unperk it out of sympathy, poor thing has a big nose.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2011, 02:20:08 PM »
Unperk it out of sympathy, poor thing has a big nose.
Must be a liar
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline STEELE

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2011, 03:08:27 PM »
Perfect compromise, cut the price in half. Keep it perked or all we'll see is spit 14's everywhere like CHogs used to be before the perk.  Also it gives new guys something to spend their very hard earned perks on.
I know I was excited the first time I had enough points to fly one    :joystick:
The Kanonenvogel had 6 rounds per pod, this is not even close to being open for debate.

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2011, 03:36:29 PM »
 +1 unperk it
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2011, 03:37:26 PM »
Perfect compromise, cut the price in half. Keep it perked or all we'll see is spit 14's everywhere like CHogs used to be before the perk. 

There is absolutely no reason something like this will happen. We even do not have the 16 everywhere, and the 16 is the way better fighter for the standard combat situation.

I think the 14 has just been forgotten when the Ta-152H was unperked...
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2011, 03:39:35 PM »
The SpitXIV is an awesome performer spoiled by bizarre handling anomalies. One could unperk the 14, OR, one could explore why it seems so unstable, instability in flight not being something I remember it being known for...
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2011, 08:18:26 PM »
The SpitXIV is an awesome performer spoiled by bizarre handling anomalies. One could unperk the 14, OR, one could explore why it seems so unstable, instability in flight not being something I remember it being known for...

Just curious as to what the bizarre handling anomalies are that you refer to?
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2011, 08:25:59 PM »
Just curious as to what the bizarre handling anomalies are that you refer to?
Probably the wobbly nose and tendency to enter an flat spin from which it is very hard to recover.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2011, 09:00:34 PM »
Probably the wobbly nose and tendency to enter an flat spin from which it is very hard to recover.

Hmmm.  I think folks just don't realize that it's a different beast then a Merlin Spit.  Anything you read by folks who flew them during WW2 talks about how it was a tough handling Spit vs the Merlin versions.  The Torque was wicked, it was about a ton heavier then the Spitfire VIII, which was exactly the same airframe outside of the larger tail and Griffon engine.  It was a 'flying engine'.  The Griffon birds required constant trimming too.  The engine really was too big for the airframe in many ways.

Spin characteristics from the VIII Pilot's notes.

Now those from the XIV pilot's notes.  Note the highlighted portion.  I have the XII pilot's notes too and it has the same as the VIII.  I have Spit 21 pilot's notes and they are about identical to the XIV for handling.  Those late Griffon birds were monsters.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2011, 09:24:44 PM »
Yes! I went from 6k to 1k very fast and I magically recovered before auger
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2011, 09:36:19 PM »
ok i was messing around with the spit14 offline today and it was easily put into a tailspin/tail-dive. it also recovers very easy if you know what to do. but if its above 20k, you better show it some respect or else it'll blow you into next week.

still, it was probably perked for a reason. id still -1 the idea until i know why.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2011, 09:40:54 PM »
Yes! I went from 6k to 1k very fast and I magically recovered before auger

Did you notice the pilot's notes say allow 10K for spin recovery?.  Sounds like you got out of it ahead of schedule :)

F/L Don Healey, 17 Squadron RAF on flying the XIV

"One aspect you always had to bear in mind with the XIV that no flying surface trimming could allow for it's considerable weight.  It tipped the scales at 8475 lbs when fueled and armed, which made it over 2000 pounds heavier then the VIII (Healey and 17 squadron had flown 17s in combat prior to transitioning to XIVs).  Therefore extra height had to be allowed for when rolling and looping as it tended to 'wash out' when flown this way."

"We were told to open the throttle very slowly at the start of our take off, with full opposite rudder applied to offset the five bladed prop, which was driven by the Griffon in the opposite direction to the Merlin.  This took some getting used to!.  Even with full aileron, elevator and rudder, this brute of a fighter still took off slightly sideways."''F/L Ron Lubbock, who flew FRXIVs with 26 squadron post war.

"The FRXIV was essentially a flying engine, and this was never more obvious then when one performed aerobatics...The first loop I ever attempted in the aircraft was the most shuddering affair I can ever remember as you had to 'motor' the machine around on the Griffon engine throughout the manoevre.  It really was a most unpleasant experience.  It was plainly obvious to me back in 1945 why so many inexperienced pilots found flying Griffon Spitfires so daunting to fly, having come from OTU equipped with Merlin powered Vs and IXs."
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters