Author Topic: unperk the spit14  (Read 3334 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: unperk the spit14
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2011, 08:12:10 PM »
gimme a spit 14 and the enemy a spit 16 above 10k and i will kill you everytime. same said for the 109s and the 51s.
That's great, but the majority of fighting in AH probably happens below 5,000ft.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2011, 08:19:41 PM »
That's great, but the majority of fighting in AH probably happens below 5,000ft.

I think that depends on the map. It is bellow 5K on the smaller maps but it's around 10K on the large once.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2011, 12:39:54 AM »
heck Brew'll get to 25k in about 12 mins roughly. I like the 14 myself just because of the power from that big Griffon, It makes any close engagements very fun.
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2011, 12:42:42 AM »
I think that depends on the map. It is bellow 5K on the smaller maps but it's around 10K on the large once.

Still below the best fighting alts for the Spit XIV or the IX for that matter, but playing into the best alts for the LFXVI or LFVIII.  Engines on those Spits maximized for low to medium alts.  XIV and IX for medium to high alts, as in 20K and above.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline TheDude

• Zinc Member
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2011, 01:14:38 AM »
nah perk the 16...and even then it should be a no..spit 5's ans 1's own both
the dude

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2011, 08:00:21 AM »
so? the tempest is also out of its league down there and slower than many Late War A/C on the deck... yet it has 50 perks. so i'd like to know why perk the Tempest at 50 if it is on par with the Spit14 in the low alts? (especially when the Spit14 will out turn the Tempest on the deck and out fly it?). A low Tempest is a DEAD tempest.

you also remember that the SpitXIV out runs the tempest between 10K and 15K and blows it away over 21K? that and compared to the Tempest the Spit14's climb rate is ballistic. (you will get to 20K/25K with the slipper tank. take 100% fuel and throttle back like in an La and you'll glide basically to your area of operations and get there with 80% of your internal left. So ignore the fuel problems...)

The Spit14 also out runs ALL of its spitfire counterparts at ALL alts and can even keep with the P51s in speed at ALL alts.

You guys need to realize that it's not just about the speed, or the climb, or the turn. but everything about the plane at deserves the perk. (this last statement does not concern everyone in this thread)

Also Karnak, almost everything below 5K is gonna be in danger of getting shot down because i dont know about you but most of my enemies come in at 10K or above
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 08:07:38 AM by 321BAR »
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2011, 08:14:46 AM »
....Also Karnak, almost everything below 5K is gonna be in danger of getting shot down because i dont know about you but most of my enemies come in at 10K or above

haha ya they come in 10K +...with 10 + friends :rolleyes:

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2011, 09:17:01 AM »
so? the tempest is also out of its league down there and slower than many Late War A/C on the deck..

:rofl

Now really... is that just bait or do really know nothing about the Tempest in Aces High?  :huh

so i'd like to know why perk the Tempest at 50 if it is on par with the Spit14 in the low alts? (especially when the Spit14 will out turn the Tempest on the deck and out fly it?). A low Tempest is a DEAD tempest.

Ok.. I'm  beginning to think you really believe that.  :uhoh

Now, can you tell me the names of the many late War A/C that are faster than the Tempest on deck? Seems I have always chosen the wrong plane when looking for the ultimate low alt high speed demon ...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 09:20:26 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2011, 10:19:42 AM »
Spit 14 at 20 or 25k and throttling back is one thing but getting anywhere near it's 42,000 foot ceiling with more than a minute's worth of fuel remaining is nearly impossible.

I guess I could climb that high, throttle back to 0% and the e6b would show 5 minutes.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 10:24:04 AM by icepac »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2011, 10:23:40 AM »
Tempest is the fastest prop in the game at sea level. Only the jets are faster. A few others come close (F4u4, la7, 190d)... but barely. They might reach a tempest in a dive. And they don't have 4x hispanos.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2011, 10:56:43 AM »
Spit 14 at 20 or 25k and throttling back is one thing but getting anywhere near it's 42,000 foot ceiling with more than a minute's worth of fuel remaining is nearly impossible.

I guess I could climb that high, throttle back to 0% and the e6b would show 5 minutes.

You have 26 minutes left left after reaching 40k, and ~24 after getting to 42k...

----

But I guess this is one of the threads were simple facts do not matter at all: The Tempest out of it's water on the deck and can't compete with the Spit 14, many fighters can't reach 25k, spit 14 is out of fuel when climbing to it's top altitude... Let's simply claim something to prove a point...  one opinion is worth a thousand facts  :rolleyes:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2011, 11:45:32 AM »
Wow....checked it today and I got 30 minutes remaining at 42k feet.

It's amazing how much of a difference climbing 10mph faster indicated than yesterday makes with this plane.

I'm still not too enthused by huge power dropoff at 19,500 feet though....Is that realistic?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2011, 11:52:53 AM »
Wow....checked it today and I got 30 minutes remaining at 42k feet.

It's amazing how much of a difference climbing 10mph faster indicated than yesterday makes with this plane.

I'm still not too enthused by huge power dropoff at 19,500 feet though....Is that realistic?

Almost all craft that have 2 supercharger gears have this. In fact, some have it MUCH worse. Some actually lose a lot of power. The Spit14 simply "pauses" and then resumes power after a few thousand feet. You can see where the power drops by looking at a speed curve. The reason the speed drops or recedes on some planes is because that is where the power drops off and is lower.

EDIT: Example of one that drops significantly: The tempest is barely faster at 12k than it is at sea level:

« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 11:55:19 AM by Krusty »

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: June 02, 2011, 11:54:57 AM »

You have 26 minutes left left after reaching 40k, and ~24 after getting to 42k...

----

But I guess this is one of the threads were simple facts do not matter at all: The Tempest out of it's water on the deck and can't compete with the Spit 14, many fighters can't reach 25k, spit 14 is out of fuel when climbing to it's top altitude... Let's simply claim something to prove a point...  one opinion is worth a thousand facts  :rolleyes:
if i told you that i was stupid and assumed the incorrect statement about the tempest's speed... would you believe me? :bolt:

but still lusche, you cant really claim that it is still not out of its element on low alt fights. yes its turn with the torque is excellent, but its roll rate and opposite turn with torque is still inadequate vs other A/C.

Yes, its got its speed over everything else, but most enemy come to a fight with at least some sort of altitude so as to dive on the furball or to have advantage, this would completely nullify the tempests speed at low alt unless they decided to play smart and stay high. it would be forced to evade and lose its E and the advantage would always be to the enemy so as to say with any aircraft in AH.

so what? its got 4 hispanos. those hizookas cant do anything if you cant maneuver the plane onto the enemy's six. and i know for a fact that if i had a spit14 vs the tempest i would be able to out turn and out maneuver it in a fight and kill it. this of course is if the tempest doesnt run. The Spit14 deserves a slight perk. It will outclimb and out turn the tempest in a dogfight. the only thing the tempest has over the 14 is its E and speed. Granted i was mistaken about the tempest's top speed but since when do you see a temp low and slow also? you see people in spit14s entering furballs all the time thinking (oh, its perked and a spit! maybe its better!). It is better but not in the ways people imagine spitfires to be. It is an amazing aircraft that people do not know how to fly because they do not realize its potential. The perk should stay
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #89 on: June 02, 2011, 11:57:05 AM »
LOL... You are really stretching to downplay the tempest there, man.