Author Topic: The Immortal Mind  (Read 3943 times)

Offline LThunderpocket

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Re: The Immortal Mind
« Reply #105 on: June 08, 2011, 03:08:39 AM »
why are people still posting on this...
"no sir,it's kind of like playing Lone Ranger,but no one has to be Tonto.its a game everyone wins"
-Cpl Fish
"I refuse to be a role model
I set goals, take control, drink out my own bottles"
-Tupac

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: June 08, 2011, 08:31:30 AM »

... Everything to do with humanity... is opinion and interpretation (good and evil for example)... not fact. Only Mathematics and Science are linear... everything else is open to interpretation....

sorry but good and evil are not opinion...Science is based on a lie, so in fact almost nothing that science says can be taken as absolute truth.

this and penguin's OP is part of whats wrong in this world today, people who think they are so smart, in all reality they are blind walking in darkness.

some of the dumbest people who I have met are doctors and lawyers, oh they may have an "education" but that don't make them "smart" or should I say "enlightened"

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: June 08, 2011, 09:52:03 AM »
sorry but good and evil are not opinion...Science is based on a lie, so in fact almost nothing that science says can be taken as absolute truth.

this and penguin's OP is part of whats wrong in this world today, people who think they are so smart, in all reality they are blind walking in darkness.

some of the dumbest people who I have met are doctors and lawyers, oh they may have an "education" but that don't make them "smart" or should I say "enlightened"

I agree, although I have a feeling it is for different reasons.  Those few lines describe humans perfectly.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #108 on: June 08, 2011, 10:40:16 AM »
Hahah, anytime Penguin. You like taking the OP. I like causing the forum SAM sites to blast ya  :devil how this game on the AH BBS boards works  :neener:  :bolt:

I am logical by nature, I think and rethink almost everything. However I have only recently grasped that logic and fact.. while practically applicable... are exactly that... nothing but practical..

To develop true understanding, all factors must be explored.. all variables accounted for.. that is scientific process. When dealing with humanity.. one simply cannot ignore emotions.. Love, Determination, Hatred.. they have been responsible for not only every single decision made.. but also the causes of that decision needing to arise. Humans, like all living things. Are afflicted with emotion, their mood, thought process, experiences and so forth.. make them inherently biased. Everything to do with humanity... is opinion and interpretation (good and evil for example)... not fact. Only Mathematics and Science are linear... everything else is open to interpretation.

Penguin you have not yet figured out the most important question of all..... It is not how that is important...

It is why.

I am not a science student, I think it is obvious that I am a humanities student. I do not deal with how, I deal with why. However that said I will attempt. Sticking to the scientific argument.

I understand newtons law. And I understand that. And I was speaking from a paper I read some time ago so you are more than likely correct on the proton decay. The details of the paper stated that the universe will expand, and then retract until the universe is crushed and destroyed and then reformed as the next universe. Like all scientific theory it is precisely that, theory. We have no idea what will actually happen, or how it will happen or even why it will happen. It just will or won't until we have the means at our disposal to see for ourselves.

And I think we deserve to have a squeakers unite moment on this one penguin because for the first time. We agree :x

So highschools in Australia separate into scientific, humanties, and technical?  I never knew that.  However, I have taught myself these scientific principles; they have spurred my intrest in the cosmos. 

You are correct that there are multiple scientific theories competing to be the correct one in the case of the ultimate fate of the universe.  This is not always the case however, and the theories of gravity and electricity are well established.  A theory in science is a very high level of work; a theory in everyday speech corresponds to 'hypothesis' in science, an untested but logical assertion.

However, dark matter and the curve of spacetime will play a huge role in deciding how our universe ends (or not).  If the curve of spacetime is positive, then no lines are paralell and the universe will continue expanding at an ever expanding rate.  If the curve of spacetime is negative, then all lines intersect and the universe will once again contract.  If spacetime is not curved, then the universe will expand forever at a steady rate.

Good and evil are actually quite relative; they are the products of our own minds.  That is not to say that I would agree with burning babies, but if that were the norm in another culture, then it would be seen as 'good' there.  There cannot be absolute standards to judge behavior because of the diversity of culture.  For instance, some abhor condoms, but I wouldn't dare 'have fun' without one. :devil

Science makes no comment on the supernatural.

However, I don't understand what seems to be an aversion to science.  Some look upon it as magic, when it's just a whole bunch of people trying to answer questions (e.g., How will the universe end?  How much electricity does the brain produce?  Can you milk a hamster?).  It's given scientists a bad rap; take the example of Dr. Frankenstein, he is a clear picture of what people thought of scientists and researchers at the time.  Scientists are people, too!

-Penguin

P.S., Squeakers, UNITE!

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 10:56:46 AM by Penguin »

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #109 on: June 08, 2011, 12:35:46 PM »
WOW, I learn something every day.  I had no idea gravity had been explained  :confused:

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2011, 01:07:51 PM »
WOW, I learn something every day.  I had no idea gravity had been explained  :confused:

:rofl

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #111 on: June 08, 2011, 03:06:04 PM »
I should have said: for instance, the theories of gravity and electricity are well established.

-Penguin

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #112 on: June 08, 2011, 03:47:57 PM »
I should have said: for instance, the theories of gravity and electricity are well established.

-Penguin

What is the theory of gravity that is well established?  What causes it?  What is it that makes mass attract?  You should be able to answer that easily since it is a well established theory.  Remember I asked why and not how so don;t come back with the objects curve space/time.  I'd like to know why they do that.  :D

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #113 on: June 08, 2011, 04:02:26 PM »
Do you mean that in a philosophical sense?  Or do you mean that in a causal sense?  If you want a philosophical answer, there is none.  There doesn't need to be; gravity just... exists.  The idea of there being a meaning to the universe is flawed, and to look for an answer to such a question is futile.  There is no 'higher' meaning to gravity's existence. 

In a causal sense, the curvature of spacetime around mass creates gravity, and this curvature affects the attraction of other matter.  This could also explain why the universe continues to expand- if spacetime is curved in the opposite 'direction' of gravity, then it will cause the universe to expand at an ever increasing rate.  Think of pouring water on a balloon, that is the effect (just imagine that the balloon's sides go on forever)

-Penguin

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #114 on: June 08, 2011, 06:16:33 PM »
What is the theory of gravity that is well established?  What causes it?  What is it that makes mass attract?  You should be able to answer that easily since it is a well established theory.  Remember I asked why and not how so don;t come back with the objects curve space/time.  I'd like to know why they do that.  :D

Gravity = what causes boobies to sag.

Nuff said.
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #115 on: June 09, 2011, 12:39:15 AM »
Our High Schools here lose their compulsory education when you hit Year 9. We spilt off into different subject tracks. You can do both, but I chose to take all the Humanities courses (like a college). As I said, science is how, my question is more of why (far more interesting).

Good and Evil ARE opinion. Hitler was Evil.. we all know that... but what about to the Germans at the time... was he Evil then? I agree with Penguin on this front, everything is relative. I hate Nazism for its racist and genocidal ideology and consider it Evil.... but Nazi's consider themselves liberators of the oppressed and restoring the proper order of things on the Earth. People pick a side and there voids the argument.. THERE IS NO.. Good and Evil. merely opinion and interpretation of Fact.

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/pdf/Heart,%20Mind%20and%20Spirit%20%20Mohamed%20Salem.pdf

This is some interesting reading for those interested in this sort of thing. This is why I argue that everything in relation to humanity and even some scientific theorems are open to intepretation.

And just for the record: To quote Dr Henry Indiana Jones - "fact.... not truth, if its truth your after go down the hall to the Philosophy class"

Truth is an illusion.
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #116 on: June 09, 2011, 10:56:07 AM »
Do you mean that in a philosophical sense?  Or do you mean that in a causal sense?  If you want a philosophical answer, there is none.  There doesn't need to be; gravity just... exists.  The idea of there being a meaning to the universe is flawed, and to look for an answer to such a question is futile.  There is no 'higher' meaning to gravity's existence. 

In a causal sense, the curvature of spacetime around mass creates gravity, and this curvature affects the attraction of other matter.  This could also explain why the universe continues to expand- if spacetime is curved in the opposite 'direction' of gravity, then it will cause the universe to expand at an ever increasing rate.  Think of pouring water on a balloon, that is the effect (just imagine that the balloon's sides go on forever)

-Penguin

:rofl Two non answers.  Excellent!  I thought I told you not to come back with curvatures.  I need to know what is causing that curvature in time and space, and why.  Not in a philosophical sense, but using physics.  If gravity has been explained and it is a well established theory, I'd like to know what it is that causes it.  You only described one of the effects that it has. 

As much as I would enjoy torturing you with this, take the time and check some of what the top physicists have said about it.  We can see the effects of it, but we don;t know what causes gravity.  We don;t have an explanation on what is causing that force.

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #117 on: June 09, 2011, 11:15:30 AM »
If gravity has been explained and it is a well established theory, I'd like to know what it is that causes it. 

I have a 'pancake' theory of gravity should you care to listen........ :D
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #118 on: June 09, 2011, 11:26:59 AM »
I have a 'pancake' theory of gravity should you care to listen........ :D

That one does have a good explanation and experiments that cause it can be easily reproduced  :old:

Offline canacka

• Nickel Member
« Reply #119 on: June 09, 2011, 11:52:56 AM »
I don't know anything about gravity theories but I do know it hurts when you fall 20ft and I have a compression fracture to prove it!

When I was younger I dated a girl whose mom had her own gravitational field, perhaps I should ask her? :bolt:
71 Squadron RAF