Author Topic: Oscar KI43  (Read 2669 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Oscar KI43
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2011, 07:21:49 PM »
I personally think the Ki-43-II would be the best choice for AH. Little better features (preformace and armament wise) for the MA, and as long as it has the 1 x 7MM 1 x 12.7MM option it could sub in the early war special events setup.  ;)
I'd prefer to have both the Ki-43-I and Ki-43-II.  There were a number of significant differences between the two.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2011, 07:23:56 PM »
I'd prefer to have both the Ki-43-I and Ki-43-II.  There were a number of significant differences between the two.

Most significantly, the Ki-43-II being two times better.

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2011, 07:34:52 PM »
M-18 :noid
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2011, 08:31:49 PM »
is useless garbage.

It certainly is lacking in climb rate performance. 

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2011, 11:18:42 PM »
It certainly is lacking in climb rate performance. 
However that gun package is amazing.

Too bad it can take much of a beating, hell, the wings come off just looking at it.

Quote from: Superfly
The rules are simple: Don't be a dick.
Quote from: hitech
It was skuzzy's <----- fault.
Quote from: Pyro
We just witnessed a miracle and I want you to @#$%^& acknowledge it!

Offline STEELE

• Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2011, 04:53:50 AM »
I'd opt for the Ki-43-IIIb  (2 H0-5 cannon)   :aok
The Kanonenvogel had 6 rounds per pod, this is not even close to being open for debate.

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2011, 05:32:52 AM »

Considering that it was the main fighter of the IJAAF, IMO it deserves to have all three major variants depicted.

I'd opt for the Ki-43-IIIb  (2 H0-5 cannon)   :aok

Only two prototypes were built, no production.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2011, 06:40:10 AM »
I personally think the Ki-43-II would be the best choice for AH. Little better features (preformace and armament wise) for the MA, and as long as it has the 1 x 7MM 1 x 12.7MM option it could sub in the early war special events setup.  ;)

Wouldn't that be like the F4F-3/4 we have now?  I'd rather they put both Ki-43-I and -II in than to mash the two together.  Would be nice if they separated the F4F-3/4 into two different planes as well. :)
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2011, 07:50:23 AM »
Guys if it were up to me, I would like to see all variants of the Japanese planes (and others). I was just trying to be realistic with my wishes. Sure I'd love to have all three, if we could only get one I think the II would be perfect.

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2011, 09:28:46 AM »
The -I and -II were not all that similar.

The -I had a Ha25 engine, and a 2-bladed prop. It made 308mph max speed at 13000 feet or so. This aircraft suffered structural problems with the wings. It had a telescopic gunsight.

The -II had a Ha115 engine with a 3-bladed prop. This necessitated a new cowling. It made about 330mph max speed also at aroudn 13000 feet. These did not start trickling in to replace -Is until 1943 was underway. The wings were strengthened and racks were added for drop tanks or small bombs. It had 13mm of pilot armor installed covering the head and back of the pilot, as well as rudimentary self-sealing tanks (but still better than the previous version!). This version also had a taller canopy for the pilot and a reflector gunsight.

The Ki-43-III wasn't started until later in 1944. By that time the war was looking ugly for the Japanese. Some were used against B-29s (albeit with light guns only -- no 20mm cannons), and some were used as trainers, and still others as kamikaze. It was the fastest model (about 360mph) with the most powerful engine, but essentially it was a footnote compared to the service of the previous 2 variants. They started the war and kept it going all the way to the end.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 09:30:59 AM by Krusty »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2011, 10:01:50 AM »
OK that's it..... I request the V-1
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2011, 10:30:11 AM »
is useless garbage.
someone doesnt like me :cry
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2011, 10:52:54 AM »
The Ki-43-III wasn't started until later in 1944. By that time the war was looking ugly for the Japanese. Some were used against B-29s (albeit with light guns only -- no 20mm cannons), and some were used as trainers, and still others as kamikaze. It was the fastest model (about 360mph) with the most powerful engine, but essentially it was a footnote compared to the service of the previous 2 variants. They started the war and kept it going all the way to the end.

Ki-43-III fought for example in Burma, Indochina, China, Philippines and Formosa (Taiwan). It was flown by several Ki-43 aces. Tachikawa Hikoki built a total of 2629 -II and -IIIs. It's a hell of a lot more than just a footnote.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2011, 01:48:30 PM »
You may be mixing up the versions WMaker.

You'll note "-IIs and -IIIs" that you quote? Most of those were -IIs. The -III wasn't even worked on until the second half of 1944. Production for the first production variant (i.e. non test, non prototype) didn't start until December 1944.

Yes, I agree that the factory you mention produced a lot, but a majority of what they produced was most certainly -II models. The factory was producing Ki-43s from May 1943 until the end of the war. That gives it a ~2-year headstart to produce Ki-43-IIs before the -III came into production. At the same time, Nakajima stopped producing the -II to focus on the Ki-84 and other ventures. Overall prodution was just under 6000 for all 3 types, of which Ki-43-III production (while hard to pin down exact numbers) was the minority.

Per J Baugher:
Production began in December of 1944, most of the aircraft being built by Tachikawa Hikoki K.K..

The Ki-43-IIIa was assigned to units defending Tokyo and other major Japanese cities and was also used in numerous suicide attacks during the final phases of the Pacific War.

You can even see the photo of a Ki-43-III taking off on a kamikaze mission on wiki, where possibly you saw the line about the factory producing -IIs and -IIIs?

The Ki-43-I and Ki-43-II had a long and noted history of aerial combat. The Ki-43-III not so much. It was Ki-43-Is or Ki-43-IIs flying over Burma, not Ki-43-IIIs. You're at least a year too early for that to be remotely possible, I think. It was -Is and -IIs over Singapore.

I think you'll be hard-pressed to find much record of Ki-43-III service, if you look into it.

Just so we are clear (so we're on the same page), the Ki-43-I and Ki-43-II would be great additions and most needed additions to this game. I have always said as much. The Ki-43-III would fill almost no role in this game due to its limited service and being surpassed by better aircraft at the time. At the end of 1944 and into 1945 it was just obsolete.