Author Topic: Roll Rate..  (Read 1978 times)

Offline Tr1gg22

• Silver Member
Roll Rate..
« on: June 19, 2011, 03:21:00 PM »
I thought it would be a good idea to discuss the advantages of a superior roll rate... I myself have a descent idea on the advantages of a good roll rate... Although have a problem utilizing it's advantages... The 190d for example.. When I try to utilize the roll rate I lose E quick and then BAMM!!!!! Dead :uhoh.. SO I just find myself trying to E fight instead of trying to reverse.. I watched an original training video on pony's years back.. I think it was on Zino's ,or something like that stating that the pony had the best roll rate only second to the 190..So I am guessing that it was important in air to air combat..I guess the real question is if you are in a turny bird like the zeke and had the   roll rate of a 190 the advantages are unreal.. But if you are in a plane like the 190 witch actually has the good roll rate; how do you utilize it to your advantage since it is not that maneuverable in a flat turn?
"CO" of the Wobblin Gobblins...

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
Re: Roll Rate..
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 03:45:48 PM »
  I'm not good enough to give you details on specific maneuvers.  But I do not that a good roll rate means you can switch from one maneuver to another faster.  If you can switch from a right turn to a left turn faster than your opponent, you have the advantage, if you can learn to use it correctly.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 03:49:01 PM »
"Getting out of phase" is important when you have someone on your six following your every move. He may be able to turn better, but that won't mean anything if he can't turn in the right direction in time. By timing your direction changes, and being careful not to fly in front of his guns, you can get farther and farther away from his nose.

Staying out of his guns requires a LOT of experience on both ends of the fight so you can know where your opponent can and can't put his nose right now, so you can just keep flying to where he can't.

I hope you can understand that and I don't end up looking like a daydreaming idiot... :bolt:
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline Tr1gg22

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 03:53:37 PM »
"Getting out of phase" is important when you have someone on your six following your every move. He may be able to turn better, but that won't mean anything if he can't turn in the right direction in time. By timing your direction changes, and being careful not to fly in front of his guns, you can get farther and farther away from his nose.

Staying out of his guns requires a LOT of experience on both ends of the fight so you can know where your opponent can and can't put his nose right now, so you can just keep flying to where he can't.

I hope you can understand that and I don't end up looking like a daydreaming idiot... :bolt:
I understand the idea of a good roll roll rate.. Ty for the reply and u do not look like a daydreaming idiot  :)

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 05:07:34 PM »
190's don't turn well, roll rate is all they got. You GOT! to cut throttle and try to roll and kick rudder to get to fly in from of u. I'll make sure to post films about how to use the roll rate to a advantage
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Tr1gg22

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 05:13:35 PM »
190's don't turn well, roll rate is all they got. You GOT! to cut throttle and try to roll and kick rudder to get to fly in from of u. I'll make sure to post films about how to use the roll rate to a advantage
Perfect :salute

Offline Wayout

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 06:44:04 PM »
Lag displacement roll or the barrel roll attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guVMVY2C6mM

The faster the roll rate the better this works.
  For most people the sky is the limit.  For a pilot the sky is home.

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 06:58:00 PM »
What I did against a C.205 in a P-47D-25 a while ago (most thrilling 1v1 I've ever had) was use the roll rate to fish him closer and closer until I could pull a 'Top Gun' and force an overshoot. You could use the roll rate to dodge the guns and try to extend, or you can use it to bring him in closer and closer with as little risk to your hind-side as possible. If you can't out-turn or out-run (or don't want to out-run  :D) the overshoot's all you got.
Well, I guess there's the vertical too  :headscratch:, and the Dora should be able to handle that better than most.

http://www.mediafire.com/?a3yssgaw9re6kt7

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 07:02:42 PM »
Be aware that the P-51 does not have the second best roll rate.  The F4U, P-38L, Ki-84 and Spitfire Mk XVI will all out roll it at some, or all, speeds.

There may be others as well, but those are the ones that jump out at me.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Klam

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 11:15:18 AM »
When in certain planes, there is a situation where if I pull too hard in a turn, the plane will insantly roll out.  I have found I can stop the roll continuing by chopping throttle.   What is this called?
It doesn't seem to work in all planes to the same degree of violence, are there any combat applications for this?
Say, a good turning plane which doesn't roll too well, being able to use this in combat.

=Anglo-Saxon=

ingame ID: Petrol

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 12:22:25 PM »
When in certain planes, there is a situation where if I pull too hard in a turn, the plane will insantly roll out.  I have found I can stop the roll continuing by chopping throttle.   What is this called?
It doesn't seem to work in all planes to the same degree of violence, are there any combat applications for this?
Say, a good turning plane which doesn't roll too well, being able to use this in combat.

This is a snap roll. In my experience, it has it's uses to some degree (usually in desperation). If you can control it to say snap 90 degrees in an instant to suddenly change direction, works nice when someone is locked on your six and you're trying to roll out of phase to create a rolling scissors defense (works okay in 109s). This is only my experience with it mind you.
Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 12:24:01 PM »
Always try and be the person your dog thinks you are.

Online Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 03:49:35 PM »
This is a snap roll. In my experience, it has it's uses to some degree (usually in desperation). If you can control it to say snap 90 degrees in an instant to suddenly change direction, works nice when someone is locked on your six and you're trying to roll out of phase to create a rolling scissors defense (works okay in 109s). This is only my experience with it mind you.

Also be aware that a snap roll will kill your energy.  It will greatly reduce your forward motion but not necessarily maneuver you out of plane with your opponent.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 04:00:02 PM »
Also be aware that a snap roll will kill your energy.  It will greatly reduce your forward motion but not necessarily maneuver you out of plane with your opponent.

Right. I only meant the roll would set an sudden change of vector so you could pull into an out of phase offset. IE, snap roll 90 degrees and pull back to fall out of phase to create offset for a barrel roll defense.

It is by no means a substantially proper maneuver - I merely do it out of desperation when a con is ~400-200 yards from my tail. :)
Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"

Online Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 04:15:05 PM »
Right. I only meant the roll would set an sudden change of vector so you could pull into an out of phase offset. IE, snap roll 90 degrees and pull back to fall out of phase to create offset for a barrel roll defense.

It is by no means a substantially proper maneuver - I merely do it out of desperation when a con is ~400-200 yards from my tail. :)

The same thing can be accomplished by momentarily unloading, and rolling with ailerons and rudder to set the wings in a different plane of motion than your attacker and pulling your lift vector to a position of advantage.   

All gave some, Some gave all