Author Topic: panther vs king tiger  (Read 2734 times)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
Re: panther vs king tiger
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2011, 08:41:19 AM »
I have on several occassions.

:salute Post the film or it didn't happen.  :lol
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 09:15:05 AM by Vinkman »
Who is John Galt?

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2011, 09:09:45 AM »
:salute  I agree that it's very hard to hit a moving target at long distances, so the moving scenario is the same for both. As for the popping out and firing a shot and slipping back out of sight, I don't think the Panther's slight speed advantage over a KT will make a big difference in the peek-a-Boo scenario. Do You? [I yelild to your much greater GV experience and success  :salute] Wouldn't the travel time of the round , possibly,  make a bigger difference. What's the Muzzle velocity difference between 88mm AP and 75mm AP?  Or said another way, what's the travel time difference of the rounds to cover 3000 yrds?

Well I had a few 3k and 4k duels last night at V40 (as a Knight its next to A41) in that furball area - and I can say it seemed extremely flat for a massive round. To me it clearly shoots faster and straighter then anything we have next to the Panther, however I will be sticking with the Panther for the time being because of perk value and speed is another thing, T2 only doing 24 mph - I have a huge habit of "Scoot and Shoot" and if I'm crawling to the next hill I really don't feel comfortable.

I did land 4 kills in a T34/85 last night against 4 King Tigers, all out flanked with side shots - however none were used in the correct strategy to lose that many monsters so quick. What I did at V41 I can clearly say - if this thing is sitting on a hill with 2k+ to a target it will do some serious wrecking.

Honestly I don't even want my panther around a Tiger 2 if that Tiger has a Line of Sight of the field.

JG 52

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2011, 07:14:30 PM »
I find the Avro Lancaster the most effective at killing them.  It is quite difficult, but the 2k and 4k bombs in a fairly steep dive work best.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2011, 03:26:48 PM »
You put the specifics on my point.  :salute
Speed and manueverability only matters against really really bad shots, or if your within 50 yrds. Anyone here think they could get within 50 yrds of DR7 if he was parked somewhere in KT?  :lol

dr 7 landed i think 54 kills the 1st knight the t2 was out-and your right it's really hard to sneak up on dr 7
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2011, 10:32:53 PM »
:salute  I agree that it's very hard to hit a moving target at long distances, so the moving scenario is the same for both. As for the popping out and firing a shot and slipping back out of sight, I don't think the Panther's slight speed advantage over a KT will make a big difference in the peek-a-Boo scenario. Do You? [I yelild to your much greater GV experience and success  :salute] Wouldn't the travel time of the round , possibly,  make a bigger difference. What's the Muzzle velocity difference between 88mm AP and 75mm AP?  Or said another way, what's the travel time difference of the rounds to cover 3000 yrds?

I did some "testing" in the DA with a squaddie of mine, and another tanker we picked up in the DA. Me in a panther vs them in King Tigers, I killed both of them twice, landing a total of 8 kills (for some reason, the other guy upped an M8, probably hoping to lure me into a trap).

Panzer IV vs KingTigers, I killed 3 KT's, a Panther, an M8, and two M3(75)'s.

Thus proving speed does not equal survival. It comes down to several things: Gunnery, armor/gun, and simple, good old fashion sneakiness.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2011, 10:42:30 PM »
Killed a king tiger with my panther today at close range firing 1 shot directly into it's rear.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2011, 06:25:01 AM »
Killed a king tiger with my panther today at close range firing 1 shot directly into it's rear.
That panther's gun can really get on the King's nerves from the side from 800 out maybe more also :ahand
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2011, 01:38:18 PM »
lol, yeah. I killed what was either the second or third King Tiger to die in the game, but unfortunatly I only got an assist. I put a couple shells in his side at something around 1700yds.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2011, 02:44:49 PM »
dr 7 landed i think 54 kills the 1st knight the t2 was out-and your right it's really hard to sneak up on dr 7

As most decent tankers are tough to beat, I can name roughly less then 10 that are Just as good at least in my book those I would fear more then bombs.

It really comes down to experience, players like Belial, coondawg, Hooter, Gizmo, SWrifle, Dr7, Rondar, Poolfool are ones you dont want to tank with.
JG 52