Author Topic: realism wish.  (Read 773 times)

Offline 1sum41

• Silver Member
      • devil dog squadron
realism wish.
« on: August 15, 2011, 09:20:38 PM »
On the p51D when the engine is off the flaps and gear doors should be down (when the aircraft is not moving ill add) due to the fact that they are held in place by hydraulics. When the engine is turned on they should come up to where they are set. :aok my little wish..

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: realism wish.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 09:36:08 PM »
When was the last time you've seen an undamaged aircraft that isn't moving with the engine off and gear/flaps up?

Its physicly impossible to do.  To be standing still, you need to be on the ground. To be on the ground, either your gear must be down or your engine damaged at the very least.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline 1sum41

• Silver Member
      • devil dog squadron
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 09:42:07 PM »
Our squad runs missions where we all start off on the tarmac engines off. occasionally we shoot movies and it would look more real. I find it just looks nice with the Mustang here at my home field so I thought it would look nice here in game. :salute

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 09:44:10 PM »
so your squad is sitting on the runway gear-up  :huh?
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline 1sum41

• Silver Member
      • devil dog squadron
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 09:45:32 PM »
no sir. Gear down. The Gear doors should also be down. if you can tell in this picture. gear doors are down aswell as flaps.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 09:47:16 PM by 1sum41 »

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 09:53:21 PM »
When was the last time you've seen an undamaged aircraft that isn't moving with the engine off and gear/flaps up?

Its physicly impossible to do.  To be standing still, you need to be on the ground. To be on the ground, either your gear must be down or your engine damaged at the very least.

He said the gear doors.  And he's right.  The landing gear will be down and locked while the hydraulically actuated flaps and inner gear doors are going to bleed down due to the lack of pressure from the engine driven pump.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 09:56:47 PM »
oh, oops. my mistake  :salute.

Offline M0nkey_Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 10:32:26 PM »
oh, oops. my mistake  :salute.
Jager, flame fail :P
Kommando Nowotny "Tip of the dull butter knife"
delta07
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association of P-38 Pilots

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 11:25:40 PM »
Not so fast oh wisher for the realism :)

The flaps and gear doors bled down slowly after power off.  Keep in mind before a mission the Crew Chief and his assistant would be out prepping the 51 for the next mission, including running it up and topping off the tanks among other things.  The pilot would come out to a 51 ready to roll, including the flaps and gear doors back up because of the run up :)

Any mission the cartoon 20th flies, we'd assume your cartoon crew chiefs would have already done their job before you guys take off.  It would look 'wrong' for you to have your 51s unprepared with the flaps drooping and gear doors down.  Post mission, after a few hours?  Sure :)

A line up of Red Tail P51Cs ready to start up.  Note the flaps and gear doors up, props not moving.  Crew Chief on the wing, pilot in the cockpit waiting for the word.

20th Fighter Group P51D also topped off and waiting for the pilot to arrive for the mission

4th Fighter Group P51D, also topped off, run up and waiting. 

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline 1sum41

• Silver Member
      • devil dog squadron
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 11:43:55 PM »
Not so fast oh wisher for the realism :)

The flaps and gear doors bled down slowly after power off.  Keep in mind before a mission the Crew Chief and his assistant would be out prepping the 51 for the next mission, including running it up and topping off the tanks among other things.  The pilot would come out to a 51 ready to roll, including the flaps and gear doors back up because of the run up :)

Any mission the cartoon 20th flies, we'd assume your cartoon crew chiefs would have already done their job before you guys take off.  It would look 'wrong' for you to have your 51s unprepared with the flaps drooping and gear doors down.  Post mission, after a few hours?  Sure :)

A line up of Red Tail P51Cs ready to start up.  Note the flaps and gear doors up, props not moving.  Crew Chief on the wing, pilot in the cockpit waiting for the word.
(Image removed from quote.)

20th Fighter Group P51D also topped off and waiting for the pilot to arrive for the mission

4th Fighter Group P51D, also topped off, run up and waiting. 

I haven't ever seen those before. I am just use to the mustang I have here in Texas. TY sir for your information.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 11:48:11 PM »
I haven't ever seen those before. I am just use to the mustang I have here in Texas. TY sir for your information.

It was a reasonable assumption as most photos you see are of Mustangs 'at rest' and the flaps and gear have bled down.   I hadn't even thought about it til your post and I remembered the pictures of the pre-flighted ready for the mission birds.  I made darn sure I wasn't making a mistake before posting and I dug for a 20th bird just for you :)

The Mustangs I saw last Friday were also at rest like the Mustang you see.  Flaps and gear doors drooping

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline 1sum41

• Silver Member
      • devil dog squadron
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 12:00:36 AM »
It was a reasonable assumption as most photos you see are of Mustangs 'at rest' and the flaps and gear have bled down.   I hadn't even thought about it til your post and I remembered the pictures of the pre-flighted ready for the mission birds.  I made darn sure I wasn't making a mistake before posting and I dug for a 20th bird just for you :)

The Mustangs I saw last Friday were also at rest like the Mustang you see.  Flaps and gear doors drooping

:D well thank you! still learning things i didn't know.  :salute
Where did you see those mustangs? How long has Twilight tear been around?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 12:06:57 AM »
you can always lower your flaps if you wish while waiting.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline 1sum41

• Silver Member
      • devil dog squadron
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 12:15:40 AM »
you can always lower your flaps if you wish while waiting.

semp
yes i understand that. it was more for the gear doors.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 12:35:13 AM »
:D well thank you! still learning things i didn't know.  :salute
Where did you see those mustangs? How long has Twilight tear been around?

"Twilight Tear" is an actual 78th FG, 8th AF Combat vet surviving Mustang.  It just won Grand Champion Warbird at Oshkosh after a long restoration.  They are based at an airfield in Western Minnesota near Granite Falls, along with a P38L and 2 P40s.

There were a number of combat vet Mustangs that were sold to Sweden after the war.  They in turn were sold to Israel and some made their way to South America.  Twilight Tear was recovered from Israel if memory serves.  There is another combat vet P51D here in Minnesota too that followed the same route, ending up in Nicaragua after Sweden, then returning to the US.  It's named "Sierra Sue II" and it was a 370th FG, 9th AF vet.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters