Author Topic: is it now time for SP's? self propelled guns  (Read 2473 times)

Offline alpini13

• Nickel Member
is it now time for SP's? self propelled guns
« on: October 07, 2011, 09:36:15 PM »
  It sure would be nice to see the M-7 priest 105mm self propelled gun or german wespe 105mm self propelled gun in the game

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
Re: is it now time for SP's? self propelled guns
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 09:40:13 PM »
3 threads about GVs in just over 15 minutes, nice.

Now on topic, what's the difference between a self propelled gun and a tank?

BTW I thought you did not want any more American GVs?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 09:46:12 PM by MachFly »
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline 1Nicolas

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 09:54:14 PM »
+1 

(My World Of Tank signature)
There are no great men, just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet.

Offline sirvlad

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 08:15:25 AM »
Simple answer is tank has a rotating turret and a self propelled gun must turn on it`s tracks.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 01:54:41 PM »
The M4/105mm would be an easy addition to AH.  The M4 chassis is already here, ditto with the correct turret.

Only the 105mm gun would need to be modeled.  Not too big of a task in comparison. 

Than again, the Su-152, M7 Priest, Wespe, Sexton, etc etc would all make good choices as well.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 11:46:56 AM »
KV2

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 11:51:07 AM »
The M4/105mm would be an easy addition to AH.  The M4 chassis is already here, ditto with the correct turret.
if you want the M4/105 your going to have to redo the suspension, engine, turret and add in the gun.

Offline stabbyy

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 12:37:23 PM »

Now on topic, what's the difference between a self propelled gun and a tank?

theres a few differances tanks have turrets for one..also heavily(in comparission) armored and designed for frontline combat as to where a self propelled gun is support fire
tanks useally have machine guns equiped on them...i dont recall any self propelled guns that do and also some self propelled guns require time to be set up before being used...tanks are ready to go

more or less a self propelled gun is a peice of mobile artillery with no real defences and relys on others to keep it safe...and generaly avoids direct combat

tanks go out and get involved in direct combat...hold frontlines/advance ect

on a side note im possibly very wrong here... but thats at leaste the basic differances from what i can tell
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 12:46:44 PM by stabbyy »

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 12:52:43 PM »
if you want the M4/105 your going to have to redo the suspension, engine, turret and add in the gun.

Hmmm, can you point out which tanks have their engines modeled in AH?  I haven't seen an engine yet,
but I'm barely out of my first decade here  :lol
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 01:59:51 PM »
     Hmmm, can you point out which tanks have their engines modeled in AH?  I haven't seen an engine yet,
but I'm barely out of my first decade here  :lol
engine damage, sure you've seen that! :D

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 02:51:56 PM »
engine damage, sure you've seen that! :D

I wonder if you realize that every time you make a post skorp how silly it makes you sound.  You do not need to prove to the world how ignorant you are.

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 06:06:10 PM »
i want my 105mm sherman  :cry

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 06:32:13 PM »

Same engine. Same suspension. Same turret as the M4 we have now. Different gun. HE, smoke, and , I think but am not sure, HEAT rounds.

A variant of the M4 Sherman was armed with the 105 mm M4 howitzer, which provided even more powerful high-explosive armament. This variant was employed in six-vehicle "Assault Gun" platoons in armored battalions to provide close fire support and smoke. The 105mm-armed variants were of limited use against enemy tanks due to the poor anti-armor performance of the howitzer, which was not intended to fight other tanks, though a High Explosive Anti-Tank (HEAT) round for the 105mm howitzer was available for self defense.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 06:39:16 PM »
Same engine. Same suspension. Same turret as the M4 we have now. Different gun. HE, smoke, and , I think but am not sure, HEAT rounds.

wrongway

are you sure that with adding a massive gun that weighs alot more wouldnt require a new engine/suspension? the turret, maybe, but the gun could possibly go over the weight capacity that the suspension could handle.

and yes, the 105 M4 carried HEAT rounds.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 04:31:12 AM »
are you sure that with adding a massive gun that weighs alot more wouldnt require a new engine/suspension? the turret, maybe, but the gun could possibly go over the weight capacity that the suspension could handle.

and yes, the 105 M4 carried HEAT rounds.

What gives you the impression that the 105 is "massive"? Have you done any research or do you figure it is so because "105" is a bigger number? Do you know what a "howitzer" is?

BTW, muzzle velocity of the 105 HEAT is about 60% of the 75 in the Sherman in game now.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay