Author Topic: is it now time for SP's? self propelled guns  (Read 2478 times)

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
Re: is it now time for SP's? self propelled guns
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2011, 02:40:36 PM »
what exactly is your definition of massive?  and what exactly are you trying to say?  just curious because the 105mm in tanks is still used today.

semp

Physical dimensions as compaired to the 75 or 76 also carried by the Sherman.

That is all.

Is the 105mm Howitzer "massively" larger than the 75mm carried by the Sherman in terms of physically fitting in the turret.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2011, 06:15:39 PM »
Physical dimensions as compaired to the 75 or 76 also carried by the Sherman.

That is all.

Is the 105mm Howitzer "massively" larger than the 75mm carried by the Sherman in terms of physically fitting in the turret.

wrongway

but the context as you say that they mean is the 105mm is actually bigger than the 75/76 in the sense that it carries a bigger punch.  I still think the best cannon was the 88, but then again the m18 got kills on it by sneaking up from behind.

but I still stand that the 105 is a big massive gun bigger than the massive 75/76.  like forest gump once said, you only need so much power to kill a tank, anything over that is just to show off :).

unless you only consider big Bertha a massive gun

or perhaps this one

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-pJKiq6zydBA/TfKpN0Cyj9I/AAAAAAAAIng/8avcffvwlks/s1600/Gustav.jpg&imgrefurl=http://highpowerrocketry.blogspot.com/2011/06/schwerer-gustav-and-dora-railway-siege.html&h=480&w=614&sz=20&tbnid=9mWrm77ACc_r8M:&tbnh=84&tbnw=107&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dpictures%2Bof%2BSchwerer%2BGustav%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=pictures+of+Schwerer+Gustav&docid=suCOD21mpwH3iM&sa=X&ei=AiCWTqCkLKnhiAKj7qHODQ&ved=0CCIQ9QEwAQ

semp
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 06:17:57 PM by guncrasher »
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline killerdude8

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2011, 06:33:12 PM »
what about the elefant heavy tank destroyer.
how kickass would it be to cruise around in one of those eh?  :D :devil
If your gonna fail, do it in such a way that people will be wondering how you managed to do that.

If it cant be fixed with duct tape, it cant be fixed at all.

Offline killerdude8

• Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2011, 06:55:01 PM »
lol, wrongway the squeakers all think the 105 is massive, and i don't think too many people realize just how small the 75/76mm is.

EDIT: i apologize for the double post, unintentional

It is pretty small just barley breaking the 3" mark now 105 is somewheres around 5"-6" which is whats on the CV's
of course you know this :P making a point for those who dont understand  :lol
If your gonna fail, do it in such a way that people will be wondering how you managed to do that.

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2011, 07:18:10 PM »
what about the elefant heavy tank destroyer.
how kickass would it be to cruise around in one of those eh?  :D :devil
jagdpanther would be funner! :neener:

StuG III...

Offline killerdude8

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2011, 07:23:43 PM »
jagdpanther would be funner! :neener:

still stand by elefant :P
PS: funner isnt a word  :lol

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2011, 07:55:57 PM »
still stand by elefant :P
PS: funner isnt a word  :lol
:lol who cares if funner isnt a word! :D

BTW, jagdpanther would eat an elephant...st00pid elefantz are afraidz of mice!!! :P

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2011, 04:57:55 PM »
Quote from: gyrene81 on October 10, 2011, 06:52:51 AM
lol, wrongway the squeakers all think the 105 is massive, and i don't think too many people realize just how small the 75/76mm is.

It is pretty small just barley breaking the 3" mark now 105 is somewheres around 5"-6" which is whats on the CV's
of course you know this Neener! Neener! making a point for those who dont understand  Hehe!

105mm divided by 25.4= 4.133 inches in diameter           1"=25.4 MM for future reference

Offline killerdude8

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2011, 05:09:35 PM »
Quote from: gyrene81 on October 10, 2011, 06:52:51 AM

of course you know this Neener! Neener! making a point for those who dont understand  Hehe!

105mm divided by 25.4= 4.133 inches in diameter           1"=25.4 MM for future reference

lol just a quick guess, didnt feel like doing math  :lol
but it still pushes my point that much further.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2011, 06:17:00 PM »
lol just a quick guess, didnt feel like doing math  :lol
but it still pushes my point that much further.

so when it comes to guns 4 inches is too small?  have you seen. them when they hit? have you seen the damage they cause?  when you do come back and tell us about the puny sound and hit.  research cannons and you will see how puny they were.  just the gun barrels in some tanks were in the thousands of lbs.  just the 37mm in earlier tanks weighed at more than 500 lbs and that was about an inch for the round.

Offline killerdude8

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2011, 06:41:17 PM »
so when it comes to guns 4 inches is too small?  have you seen. them when they hit? have you seen the damage they cause?  when you do come back and tell us about the puny sound and hit.  research cannons and you will see how puny they were.  just the gun barrels in some tanks were in the thousands of lbs.  just the 37mm in earlier tanks weighed at more than 500 lbs and that was about an inch for the round.

Easy there mister, just makeing a point no need to get your panties in a knot
Anyways, no, i dont know what they sound, look or feel like when firing. I used to read some naval warfare books and anything under like 5" was used for AA and against small ships like frigates and destroyers.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2011, 10:07:16 PM »
Off topic.

Explain to me,RE: Naval guns, caliber.

IE: 5"/38 caliber, 5"/54 caliber.

It is gun length, correct?

Why?

Thank you.

Back on topic, sort of:

What are the physical dimensions of the 75, 76, and 105mm gun/howitzer as mounted in essentially the same turret on the M4A3?

Barrel length, weight, ect.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline killerdude8

• Copper Member
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2011, 10:11:18 PM »
Off topic.

Why?

Thank you.

Back on topic, sort of:

What are the physical dimensions of the 75, 76, and 105mm gun/howitzer as mounted in essentially the same turret on the M4A3?

wrongway

how do you mean 5" wide or 5" long, because if thats the question i was talking about guns with 5" width.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2011, 01:54:15 AM »
Easy there mister, just makeing a point no need to get your panties in a knot
Anyways, no, i dont know what they sound, look or feel like when firing. I used to read some naval warfare books and anything under like 5" was used for AA and against small ships like frigates and destroyers.

but we are talking about tanks here. and for a tank  4 or 5 inches is a pretty big gun.  for example the 88mm is only 3.46 inches, but when it hits the ground or a tank it creates a massive hit.  not many tanks had the armor to survive such hit.  look at ww2 movies and see the arty explosions when they hit the ground, those were not 100 inch shells.

here this will give you an idea of how really the arty/cannons shells were small but gave some massive punch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_War_II_artillery

semp

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2011, 06:24:53 AM »
Off topic.

Why?

Thank you.

Back on topic, sort of:

wrongway
i think your right wrongway, caliber refers to the inside diameter of the gun times the number equals the length of the barrel from the muzzle to the breech. for the 5/36 it would be 5 x 36 = 180 inches (15 feet).

the 75mm m3 was 40 calibers. 76mm m1 was 57 calibers. 76mm m1a1 and m1a1c were 52 calibers. 76mm m1a2 was 55 calibers. qf17 pounder was 55 calibers. 105mm m2a1 was 22 calibers.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett