Author Topic: EAs "Origin" service...  (Read 1610 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: EAs "Origin" service...
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 01:12:13 PM »
You guys are funny.  You do not mind Microsoft gathering information from your computer, nor Google, nor Facebook, but you have a cow when EA does it.  Steam is also gathering data, but only pertaining to the games you play, how long you play them and so on.

Don't get me wrong.  I have no love for EA.

And now for the rationalizations......
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 01:13:47 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 01:28:17 PM »
There have been a few forum discussions about doing similar things, or running it through a sandbox, etc... But that's kind of a long workaround for something we still should be upset about in the first place, no? Challenge, have you done any kind of testing/monitoring (I know you're a PC nerd of greater ranking than I  :P ) to see what Origin actually is doing -- a kind of threat analysis?

EDIT: used wrong forum member name, sorry. Corrected.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 01:32:20 PM by Krusty »

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 01:38:56 PM »
lol skuzzy...the microsoft scans are uncouth but considering that the operating system is part of the basic foundation and the b.s. about "customer service", it's somewhat understandable. the difference is a gaming company has no business scanning my system and gathering any information other than for hardware identification. nor does that video game have any busines installing a program that is designed scan everything on my system and returning the information to the company or any other companies.

don't take it so hard tyrannis...can't deny the simple fact that you're a rugrat. unfortunately with the introduction of the ps3 and xbox360 the college geniuses barely older than you at the game developers have decided to market their latest crap to people your age. 10+ years ago adults were the target audience because they owned the only equipment that could get online, computers. and adults were the only ones who could do things to make the games more than just out of the box couch muffin buggy crap...now it's all biggerboomtasticflashywhatcha majiggyKewlz without any real regard for anything more than a shiny cyber medal and rank.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 01:39:38 PM »
You guys are funny.  You do not mind Microsoft gathering information from your computer, nor Google, nor Facebook, but you have a cow when EA does it.  Steam is also gathering data, but only pertaining to the games you play, how long you play them and so on.

Don't get me wrong.  I have no love for EA.

And now for the rationalizations......

Not a rationalization, but of the others:

STEAM: Oft villified as tracking info, it only tracks game info and only for the games you play through this game launching service. So what's the problem? When I play a game I want to track my stats, no? Be it on an external stats webpage or through STEAM. It's not searching to see what version of Adobe I have installed or what kind of Office setup I use.

Microsoft: I've read through the EULA a while back. I think that if they were in any way actively gathering info, they wouldn't be so freaking out of touch with reality with their latest releases. They're so clueless I doubt they're gathering anything. Instead I think it is more standard boilerplate to protect themselves from lawsuits regarding info transmitted via remote desktop, any of the bug/crash reporting tools, and so forth. MS is making their money elsewhere, not off your personal info.

Google: I boycott G-mail and Google Chrome because of their practices too. I don't hold them any different than EA. Equally bad.

Facebook: Never touch the stuff. Not only do I find it beneath me (not in an elitist way, just in a "why do folks use this?!" way), but I have heard a number of bad things about their privacy rights and so forth.

It's not that I'm jumping on EA while ignoring others. EA is specifically the first game launcher that's going to spam you for playing the latest greatest games that can only be accessed if you allow them access to your HD and files for scanning. Just because others are doing it doesn't negate the atrocious nature of the beast!

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 01:54:22 PM »
Microsoft gathers a ton of data from your computer usage.  They know every configuration change you make, every ICON you click, every WEB page you visit, along with a ton of other data.  They play it close to the vest.

Adobe is also another data miner.  Flash has been sending data home (Macromedia, then Adobe) for years and is probably the oldest, and most pervasive, data miner on the Internet.

It is difficult to find any commercial software that does not do data mining of some type.  I do not know the extent of what EA is doing, and I am skeptical about what I hear, as it seems to be derived from emotional outbursts, rather then actual facts.

I do not buy any games for the PC anymore, so I have no vested interests in this.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 01:58:01 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 04:09:46 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2011, 02:00:02 PM »
Flash has been sending data home (Macromedia, then Adobe) for years and is probably the oldest, and most pervasive, data miner on the Internet.

Really??? Yeesh... I know I disabled their DRM service that came with Flash MX and I don't update flash player often. I don't let it load and I don't use it for anything other than webpage plugins. But, that is surprising to learn!

I do not buy any games for the PC anymore, so I have no vested interests in this.

That's a shame, I think. Sad to see PC games get less love than other platforms these days (in general).

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2011, 03:11:45 PM »
Challenge, have you done any kind of testing/monitoring (I know you're a PC nerd of greater ranking than I  :P ) to see what Origin actually is doing -- a kind of threat analysis?

I have never worried so much about it actually. On the Internet (or in RL) you have no individual right to privacy except those outlined by the business you are engaged with which is why people use handles and remain as anonymous as they do. I know recent headlines would have you thinking otherwise but there it is. I use every service that Skuzzy mentioned without fear.

If you really want to worry about it you should be looking at Google.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2011, 03:41:53 PM »
I disagree about that... If you're on the internet doing your own business and some nefarious entity infects you with a virus, let's say... You can take steps to defend yourself, but you DO have a reasonable right to privacy. Reasonable, not absolute. You can try defending yourself just in case, but if it happens you are the victim.

Same goes for scanning your HD just to let you play "a cool new game with flashy graphics" -- if they are abusing your privacy you STILL have a reasonable right to, it's not your fault. They are the bad guys, you the victim.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2011, 04:12:45 PM »
Really??? Yeesh... I know I disabled their DRM service that came with Flash MX and I don't update flash player often. I don't let it load and I don't use it for anything other than webpage plugins. But, that is surprising to learn!

That's a shame, I think. Sad to see PC games get less love than other platforms these days (in general).

Oh, I should have been clearer.  I have purchased one game in the last 10 years, or so.  I lost all interest in games due to all the root kits, and other intrusive garbage game companies insist on installing.  It just got to the point where I lost all interest due to all the potential hassles.  Games are supposed to be fun, not nightmarish.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2011, 04:16:01 PM »
Origin is ok and I have found in most cases it launches faster than steam. If you do not agree with it don't get it simple as that really.

X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2011, 05:32:29 PM »
... but you DO have a reasonable right to privacy. Reasonable, not absolute. You can try defending yourself just in case, but if it happens you are the victim.

I know its off topic but...

Please point out the law or legal document granting you a right to privacy. Read the Bill of Rights from beginning to end. Its not in there.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2011, 05:33:56 PM »
See Rule #4
...Why did i and I alone get rule 4'd?

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2011, 05:50:40 PM »
Oh, I should have been clearer.  I have purchased one game in the last 10 years, or so.  I lost all interest in games due to all the root kits, and other intrusive garbage game companies insist on installing.  It just got to the point where I lost all interest due to all the potential hassles.  Games are supposed to be fun, not nightmarish.

Going through the animation classes now so Flash has to be working and up to date. I dont think I have ever played a flash game but I see there is a class on creating them in my future. Part of the future of computing I suppose.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 05:55:14 PM by Chalenge »

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2011, 06:36:48 PM »
right to privacy goes out the window the moment you install their software.  you accept their eu whatever and you gave it up.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.