Author Topic: power hub  (Read 493 times)

Offline Raphael

• Gold Member
power hub
« on: October 25, 2011, 08:41:30 PM »
ok now my joystick is pretty much giving up and there aren't any other new home made modifications i can do to help so I really NEED a power hub now, I just want to make sure (im researching on the internet) what would be better in my case, a 3.0 hub would fix it?

btw my problems are with a few axis (throttle and elevator)

thanks in advance
Remember 08/08/2012
 Youtube videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/raphael103/featured
Game ID => Raphael
XO of Jg5

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: power hub
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 09:11:56 PM »
What specifically is the problem with which axis?

A powered USB hub helps to ensure a strong steady supply of voltage to USB equipment. If your stick is cutting out or dropping out all together a hub may help. If your stick on the other hand is sloppy due to age it will not help. The more info you supply the better the answer you'll get.

Offline Raphael

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 09:23:39 PM »
ok the whole pov does not work if I move the X (airleron) axis (temporary fixed by using regular buttons on the stick as a sub to normal pov).

Button 2 (wich i use to look up) does not work when i get the axis on the extreme left (airleron) and extreme up (elevator)

The throle registers random values after I roll it further then half (temporary fixed it by making in game the half way be maximum throttle value and i do not move it further then that)

that's it. no pov in any movement and those other problems
Remember 08/08/2012
Game ID => Raphael
XO of Jg5

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 09:33:08 PM »
While I'm no expert, it sounds more like a broken wire inside the stick. The USB cable will connect to a control boar inside the stick, and all of the buttons and switches will be wired to the same board. The wires are small and can easily be broken with the movements of the stick. If you consider it "junk" you have nothing to lose taking it apart to see if you can fix it. If your ok with flying with it you might not want to chance it.

Offline Raphael

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 09:42:02 PM »
but the case is: this is a second stick here.
i got this one because the first one had these same problems, (very similar, with random axis and all that).
this is a completly different stick from that first one and yet the problem is the same.
Remember 08/08/2012
Game ID => Raphael
XO of Jg5

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 09:54:40 PM »
It will cost about $20 for a powered hub (a good one i.e. Belkin) whereas a new stick would be more (unless it really is junk). A power drop out could cause the problem you are describing as could chaffed wires or broken shielding (meaning you need a hub). If this is a relatively new stick go with the hub.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Raphael

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 11:31:54 PM »
oredered a 3.0 hub via internet  :pray hope it fixes the problem
Remember 08/08/2012
Game ID => Raphael
XO of Jg5

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 01:56:08 PM »
Why don't you download a free copy of PCWizard and look in the I/O ports listing to see what USB type your device is? Chances are if it's 1.01 or 2.0 you will be better served with a 2.0 powered hub rather than making a 3.0 run in castrati mode.

CH products are USB 1.01 and Saitek USB 2.0. Your 3.0 hub will only run your device at the speed it's USB version is. Unless the 3.0 HUB is much different than previous technology, it will run at the speed of the slowest device connected to it. I hope that is no longer true.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 08:03:32 PM »
If you move your stick and it causes you to lose button or hatswitch functions, it sounds like a wire harness issue.  Maybe a manufacturer defect causing the wires to get pinched or some sort of short in the harness.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Raphael

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 11:05:18 AM »
hmm guess I will have to check the wires then as a last shot here... the usb 3.0 only work if i have a 3.0 entry to begin with... i spent a lot of money right here for nothing, if i had the darn entry I wouldn't need the hub anyway.. nvm ill check the wires, if this doesn't work... well that's it for slight simulation games for me, can't keep buying new joysticks every 6 months, these stuff are expensive around here
Remember 08/08/2012
Game ID => Raphael
XO of Jg5