Author Topic: Playing with fire (literally). Opinions wanted.  (Read 1448 times)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Playing with fire (literally). Opinions wanted.
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 01:55:41 AM »
flames need to be bigger and less uniform

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 02:16:21 AM »
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 02:37:41 AM »
the original color is a little better, and yah, I agree that it needs more random shapes - the new option looks very segmented to me while the original looks more uniform.  But its a great start!!

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 03:51:13 AM »
How YOU feelin..... HOW YOU FEELIN......  HOT HOT HOT!!!!!!    :devil needs more chili sauce  :devil

I thought the over the shoulder view looked right on.  But here is an idea to experiment with.  Split the flame with half original (top or bottom) and other half your hotsauce version.  Will be a great way to not only compare the two, but also may lead to some hybrid blends.  Even wondering if an electric blue halo at the very leading edge of the flame may bring up the heat some more?

:aok  Awesome looking, as long as it is somebody else's plane providing the barbeque  :uhoh

I see that morfiend kind of had a similar thought.  But I am just suggesting it as a close up comparison, rather than a finished product.  A sort of measuring stick to see where the two blend to the optimal illusion of a random shape.  Very difficult to do considering the graphic is probably rendering duplicates of a smaller graphic file to give it the fluid motion.

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 03:56:53 AM »
WE all love more explosions and flames but other than zeros, did planes light up that often? I saw the Reno air races crash, and the plane didn't even 'explode' it just broke up into pieces, much like a child throwing a Lego thing against the wall and having it break into pieces.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline WYOKIDIII

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2011, 07:32:58 AM »
no date but for me the incidence of fires has always "felt" right to me .
Sooo....What , are those guys here to kill you because God forgot too ?

Hank Venture

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2011, 08:30:50 AM »
Nice work Ranger your on to something bro.. :aok
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2011, 09:58:05 AM »
I would love to see a rl picture of a b24 flying in flames, I dont think the flames would be that big, if you want to be realistic.

semp

I watched a Connie blow a cylinder on #3 on takeoff, the engine caught fire.  As the Connie made the turn back to the field the fire was trailing past the tail.   Was pretty impressive sight.  He landed okay, we put the fire out.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2011, 10:01:22 AM »
A couple of burning B-24s.  Notice size of flames and intensity/brightness.

Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Raphael

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2011, 11:05:12 AM »
would be nice if it was possible to mess with the model of the flames and not just the texture
Remember 08/08/2012
 Youtube videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/raphael103/featured
Game ID => Raphael
XO of Jg5

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2011, 02:17:11 PM »
Really superb job on that. You should should up load it in the skin area.
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2011, 05:32:56 PM »
   Thanks for the opinions all.  I agree that it is too orange.  As for the uniformity & lack of variety, I'll explain.  Remember that this was just a 10 minute experiment to see if it would work.  The plane fire effect consists of 15 .bmps & 15 alpha .bmps, half of which are the smoke that follows the fire.  What I did for simplicity's sake was to create the first .bmp & then just darken each succeeding .bmp a little to make it fade into the smoke.  I kept the default alphas (gives the effect its shape) and smoke.  When I get time this weekend I will go back and give each .bmp a separate look to give it variety.  I will also add more yellow to it, as it seems the consensus that it needs it.  One thing to remember though, is that the AH fire effect is basically a bunch of circles that slightly overlap each other.  Nothing I can do about that, so giving it real variety with flames shooting out here & there is almost impossible. 

Thanks again for the posts.  It was a fun lil' experiment.  I plan on messing with the other effects also (muzzle flash, hit sprites, explosions, etc.) and will post screenies whenever that happens.  If something works out looking cool, I'll throw it in a terrain in the custom arenas whenever we can (finally!!) upload our own terrains.  I can't help it, I'm a customization junky. :)

:salute
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2011, 05:35:19 PM »
   Thanks for the opinions all.  I agree that it is too orange.  As for the uniformity & lack of variety, I'll explain.  Remember that this was just a 10 minute experiment to see if it would work.  The plane fire effect consists of 15 .bmps & 15 alpha .bmps, half of which are the smoke that follows the fire.  What I did for simplicity's sake was to create the first .bmp & then just darken each succeeding .bmp a little to make it fade into the smoke.  I kept the default alphas (gives the effect its shape) and smoke.  When I get time this weekend I will go back and give each .bmp a separate look to give it variety.  I will also add more yellow to it, as it seems the consensus that it needs it.  One thing to remember though, is that the AH fire effect is basically a bunch of circles that slightly overlap each other.  Nothing I can do about that, so giving it real variety with flames shooting out here & there is almost impossible. 

Thanks again for the posts.  It was a fun lil' experiment.  I plan on messing with the other effects also (muzzle flash, hit sprites, explosions, etc.) and will post screenies whenever that happens.  If something works out looking cool, I'll throw it in a terrain in the custom arenas whenever we can (finally!!) upload our own terrains.  I can't help it, I'm a customization junky. :)

and very good at it :salute

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2011, 08:22:10 PM »
^^^

agreed,I have no artistic talent,have a hard time drawing a straight line with a ruler,so I am envious of the stuff you guys do!

I cant wait to see what you come up with after you tweak it some!

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2011, 09:08:07 PM »
I'd love to do something like in the picture Dolby posted, but the game coding isn't going to allow it with the way it uses repeating .bmps for drawing it in-game.  I'll push it to the envelope though & see what happens. :salute

One more thing, no more real life burning plane pictures please.  Makes me uneasy to see em.  Gives me a guilt feeling.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 09:11:14 PM by USRanger »
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus