Author Topic: Bomber Calibrated Speed Indicator  (Read 919 times)

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Bomber Calibrated Speed Indicator
« on: October 26, 2011, 10:05:47 PM »
Having this in the bombers position is a good idea.  Since we have a calibrated & actual altitude indicator, shouldn't that be the same with speed indicator?  Have one show our
actual speed and one show the calibrated speed.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
Re: Bomber Calibrated Speed Indicator
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 12:33:34 AM »
The only realistic way for the airplane to make that calculation for you is if you have an integrated flight instrument system, this did not exist in the 40s. The only other way to do it would be with an E6B. I think we should consider ourselves lucky that HTC even given us an electronic E6B, technically this is not supposed to exist either.
Now I am not against your idea, I just don't see HTC doing it.

BTW you said that we have a calibrated & actual altitude indicator, you mean Mean Sea Level and Above Ground Level? I had no idea that we had this, how do you check your altitude AGL without knowing the elevation?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 12:55:34 AM by MachFly »
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 12:48:06 AM »
in the B-25c, look to the left, you get a speedometer and altimeter if i'm not mistaken

Quote from: Superfly
The rules are simple: Don't be a dick.
Quote from: hitech
It was skuzzy's <----- fault.
Quote from: Pyro
We just witnessed a miracle and I want you to @#$%^& acknowledge it!

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 04:09:11 AM »
Added a current speed readout to the bombadier's info window in the bombsight.
-- from the patch information page

The problem is, that I haven't seen it yet.  I did find the dials in some bomber models by looking left, but I think this was maybe a misprint for this patch version, and hopefully an upcoming update, that I would greatly appreciate.

Also, I would assume that their was some radio communication between bombadier and pilot or the calibration could not be achieved.  This is where I would love to hear from those who can explain briefly how the Norton scope worked.  I found it interesting how the hand made angle scope was devised and used on the famous Mitchell B25 Raid.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 07:40:24 AM »
I know that the B-17 and B-24 had altimeter, airspeed and compass at the bombardier position.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 07:47:02 AM »
I've always wanted this to be remedied in B17's.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline AHTbolt

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 10:08:26 AM »
Go to www.twinbeech.com this site will answer all your questions. Its a great site for NORDEN bomb sight.
AWWWWW CRAP YOU SHOT WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In the desert somewhere west of Kuwait 1991.

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 11:11:57 AM »
Go to www.twinbeech.com this site will answer all your questions. Its a great site for NORDEN bomb sight.
i was thinking about that norden bomb sight. when i worked at a book store, a gent came in asking if we had anything on the norden bomb sight. we didnt and i told him that, he was an elderly gent, so i asked him if he was a vet.
he said kinda he worked on the norden bomb sight during ww2. he said it was a amazing bomb sight. it did alot of calculating on the bomb run. cant really remember all he said it could do, seems like alt, winds direction, cant remember much like i said. i was able to talk to him about 20 or so minuets about the norden bomb sight.
should have wrote it down
while working at the book store i was able to meet a few vets from ww2 on. i always enjoyed what they had to say like a kid in a candy store and thank them for there service.
i remember talking to a gent that was on b24. i dont remember his postion on the bomber (we didnt have anything on 24s at the time) but the interesting part he told me (he was in the pto) about an island you didnt want to crash around because they cannibleized who they captured. they japonese would boat out to get the pilots or crew and bring then in for interrigation then well not a plesent thought.
anyway thanks for the post.  :salute

Offline AHTbolt

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 01:16:47 PM »
I havent finished reading the whole site yet but the norden was a true marvle and did what nulti gig computers do today.
AWWWWW CRAP YOU SHOT WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In the desert somewhere west of Kuwait 1991.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 01:38:25 PM »

See above.  There's a calibrated speed & altitude indicator, but there's also one the shows the current altitude.  If you cut throttle, you'll notice
the altitude will drop for that one, while the calibrated indicator remains constant.
Just saying, seems like there would be one for our current speed as well.  Of course we could use the E6B to see our current speed, but to me
it's just more clutter when trying to line up our target.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 02:56:05 PM »
I haven't flown bombers for a while, but isn't one of those alts the alt of the target? In manual calibration mode, you have to shift-leftclick on the clipboard map to set the alt of your target. Then the bomb sight adjusts the crosshairs accordingly. If the target is at 2k and you don't account for this, your bombs won't hit the target.

The current auto-calibration in the MA's already accounts for this automatically.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 03:18:19 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

See above.  There's a calibrated speed & altitude indicator, but there's also one the shows the current altitude.  If you cut throttle, you'll notice
the altitude will drop for that one, while the calibrated indicator remains constant.
Just saying, seems like there would be one for our current speed as well.  Of course we could use the E6B to see our current speed, but to me
it's just more clutter when trying to line up our target.

Coogan

So what is calibrated altitude?
The only calibrated "thing" I know of is airspeed, and even that is useless, you need your indicated airspeed, true airspeed, and ground speed, calibrated airspeed is only used to calculate true airspeed. Given that calibrated airspeed is indicated airspeed calibrated for instrument error calibrated altitude should mean the same, but there is no such thing. You can have indicated altitude, pressure altitude, density altitude, and all 3 can be measured in MSL (Mean Sea Level) or AGL (Above Ground Level).
Every time you cover a large distance or just a significant amount of time passes you calibrate your altimeter to the outside pressure for it to be actuate (not modeled in AH), so you can not have a calibrated altitude because your altimeter is already calibrated.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 03:48:17 PM »
Err... Here's my understanding how it works:

Calibrated speed=the ground speed you need to be going for your bombs to hit for your calibration.
Drop Alt=the altitude you need to be at, going at the calibrated speed to hit for your calibration.
Alt=Your current altitude.

If that's a current screenie from Coogn, no actual current speed display?  Shucks, I thought that was a really nice addition.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 03:49:24 PM »
FYI:

We had a snafu with Patch 2 that caused this to be left out.  It's been rebuilt as Patch 3 and you should it the next time you go into the arenas.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 03:59:32 PM »
Calibrated speed=the ground speed you need to be going for your bombs to hit for your calibration.

This needs to be renamed because it is very misleading.

Drop Alt=the altitude you need to be at, going at the calibrated speed to hit for your calibration.
Alt=Your current altitude.

That makes a lot more seance.
So it's not calibrate altitude, it's the altitude which your bombsight is calibrated for.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn