Author Topic: Base flat, ack down and CV offshore. Thank goodness there are:  (Read 3896 times)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
Re: Base flat, ack down and CV offshore. Thank goodness there are:
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2011, 02:14:28 PM »
well the fun comes from flying with people, with a common goal, which applies to almost all of us. if you dont have a bunch of squaddies on channel to shoot the wind with and/or someone you wing with and theres no missions posted on country, the strike horde is the next best thing. and if you dont live in the DA or own a copy of Shaw then its probably at least as productive as flying alone somewhere.

borrowing from chris rock: I'm not saying its right, I'm just saying I understand.

my point was if you dont like hordes then you can do something about it. if its your country hording start posting 15 player missions to give them alternatives. if its the other country start posting 15 player missions which will either break up the horde to defend or let you take alot more bases than the horde can if they dont.

Can you remember that fight about 6 months ago, me and you on the deck, got 17 bishs together and could rtb... why? Couse we actually like to fight and keep practicing ourselves.
Btw that was a real awsome winging. And im just a little newbie.

I do remember, and its always great when you run into someone you havent flown with before and it clicks :aok
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 02:17:02 PM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2011, 02:38:54 PM »
well the fun comes from flying with people, with a common goal, which applies to almost all of us. if you dont have a bunch of squaddies on channel to shoot the wind with and/or someone you wing with and theres no missions posted on country, the strike horde is the next best thing. and if you dont live in the DA or own a copy of Shaw then its probably at least as productive as flying alone somewhere.

borrowing from chris rock: I'm not saying its right, I'm just saying I understand.

my point was if you dont like hordes then you can do something about it. if its your country hording start posting 15 player missions to give them alternatives. if its the other country start posting 15 player missions which will either break up the horde to defend or let you take alot more bases than the horde can if they dont.

I do remember, and its always great when you run into someone you havent flown with before and it clicks :aok

^^^^
This  :aok

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2011, 08:06:09 AM »
What's sad about that picture on the original post is that none of the potential defenders thought about taking off from the next nearest base.

It seems players are unwilling to fly more than a sector or tank further than a remote spawn which places you right next to the enemy base.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2011, 08:34:32 AM »
What's sad about that picture on the original post is that none of the potential defenders thought about taking off from the next nearest base.

It seems players are unwilling to fly more than a sector or tank further than a remote spawn which places you right next to the enemy base.

I'm sure many thought to try that, the problem is most just look at it and say what's the point.

Either you get lucky and roll with 5 other players and only face 10th to 1 odds when you get there, or you get there in time for them to have captured the base and have moved on to the next great "mission".

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2011, 08:54:05 AM »
It's the defenders' fault.  :rolleyes:
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2011, 12:50:52 PM »
I've been a part of "Jayro's heavy fighter strikes" before, but never one that large, LOL! I don't mind coming in high with a few friends (10 to 12 at the max should be all you'd need to supress a field and take the base) and capping a field, but I despise it when they drop the hangers (other than the VH, once a handful of "egg targets" get out  :devil ).

That being said, the Bish ran a heavy fighter strike Saturday to try and take one of the knit fields, and there must have been close to 30 or more of them, all heavy D Ponies and 47N's, just that I saw... and I got there late in my Tempest. I wouldn't have been surprised at all if the numbers in that raid were close to the ones in the OP.... I finally rtb'd to my original departure point with zero cannon and 10 scalps.

btw, the Knits kept that field... the Bish horde failed. Mainly because there was no GV spawn and all the goons were slaughtered. It helped that those rocket surgeons lifted their strike mission from a field that was being overflown by a high friendly, who called out the bish mission on Country.... and for once enough Knights listened that by the time the horde got there at least a dozen defenders were already at decent alt, and more of us inbound from the next closest field with tons of alt.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 12:55:43 PM by Reaper90 »
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline elc7367b

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2011, 02:44:54 PM »
I find it funny that one side is always "smarter" than another side and that which ever side that a person is on it is always the smartest side.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2011, 02:48:46 PM »
and for once enough Knights listened

OMG! I hope somebody called guinness book or world records!  :rofl

Such an event is rare, and noteworthy!  :lol

Wait..... Why am I laughing?  :headscratch: Dang, I just made myself sad again.... :uhoh

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2011, 06:51:19 PM »
I'm sure many thought to try that, the problem is most just look at it and say what's the point.

Either you get lucky and roll with 5 other players and only face 10th to 1 odds when you get there, or you get there in time for them to have captured the base and have moved on to the next great "mission".

I like flying against the horde.  The point is getting a kill for me, not stopping the base capture or killing them all, (which I couldn't do).  As I vector into hordes like this I always tell myself, "Get in, get 1 kill, get out, repeat if possible".  Just think, if you've been patient enough to take off from a nearby base and ya got a bit of e as you dive in, look at all the choices ya get.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2011, 02:05:19 PM »
Funny thing is I see one of my VF-17 squadron buddies in that horde...Noah17. Highly unusual for him to take part in anything other than defending against the horde.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2011, 02:39:39 PM »

There is nothing, absolutely nothing that has changed about this in the last ...lemme think... 6 years. This picture could easily had been taken when I joined AH. Same stuff back then.  :old:

Oh, with one particular difference: The ganging of the smaller country was actually worse back then, because of the different requirements for winning a war.
But that's the kind of details that sometimes tend to get lost in the golden sun of nostalgia   ;)
M.A.W.

One thing did change over the years.  The Me 262 was added.

Base flat, ack down and CV offshore.  Thank goodness there are: (Horde implied)

First of all, I flew in about 3 or 4 of "Jayro's Missions" yesterday.  None of them that I flew in was initiated by anything other than an announcement on country channel.  For example, "We will be meeting..... yada ....yada.."  About the 3rd mission that I flew on, maybe it ended up resulting in that pictured above.  Before we launched, I believe it was Jayro who commented on the numbers in the force.  He had made no mission through the planner listing 64 positions.  Nor did he spam the country channel for 10 minutes for folks to join the mission.  Nope, all he did was pick a logical target and say hey fellas meet me with whatever you think will help capture a base (my words not his- all he really said was, "meet me").  Well done Knights  :cheers:

No one should think this screenshot is anything other than normal for an organized base capture / insert your country HERE.  As for calling for support from the CV, this is where I take your amusement and say the joke is actually bringing a large force only to be repelled by a handfull (sound familiar / insert your country HERE).   Why does no one take a picture of the troop carriers that had to dodge 262s hunting for them, praying that when/ if they make it there the town will be ready.

Ready means:  White flagged (long enough for all 10 troops to clear the maproom), deacked (not a single auto ack up in town or in some cases even on airfield within 1k ft. -- again long enough for all 10 troops to clear the maproom -- good luck having your magic timer set properly), town cleared of enemy vehicles and or aircraft -- once again long enough for all 10 troops to clear the maproom -- because if one slips and gets wounded = oh well, and lastly, it means that no smartazz is sitting in the shore battery  :uhoh shelling his own maproom!

I love / hate the horde also....   absolutely love to catch one developing, get in an early war ride and collect scalps and land, and oh yes.... killing a sneaky goon or several m3s in the process (priceless).  I hate trying to defend arriving too late and being vulched, rocketed and even bombed in the spawn hangar, also hate arriving late in a horde and not having the opportunity to vulch, rocket or bomb enemies in the spawn hangar.

Lusche (I prefer Snailman as a handle  :) ), your memory is a little off, however I do concur that the "superior numbers" game has not changed.  What has changed is the complexity of the town and ack, requiring larger numbers for captures of heavily defended fields.  I have been around long enough to know that pre new towns, 4 or 5 guys with their act together, could effectively take just about any base they attacked.
None of that changes the fact that hordes (IE those not opposed by at least arguably equal opposition) dilute the substance of air combat.  I admit I'm not so much answering this post (skimmed it) but anyone who rationalizes a 50 player horde to make the pixels of a virtual base on a virtual map, change color.

Are we playing this game to change virtual real estate's colors or to get our stick & rudder & trigger fix?  The none-of-the-above answer (play to play with friends) is a cop-out, as much as I relate to it.  The game is air combat.  Removing peril from combat makes any combat flight sim into... a tourism game not much different from MS Flight Simulator.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 02:44:59 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2011, 02:48:48 PM »
I find it funny that one side is always "smarter" than another side and that which ever side that a person is on it is always the smartest side.

Amazing isn't it?

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2011, 03:08:02 PM »
One thing did change over the years.  The Me 262 was added

The 262 in AH is older than the 6 years I mentioned  :P

but what does M.A.W  mean? :headscratch:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2011, 03:15:37 PM »
I feel old.

MAW was maybe the first mega steamroller squad.  It was around the time the 262 was added.  I only remember flying one (or a D9) into one of their clouds of Chogs.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 03:25:57 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2011, 03:43:05 PM »
Can't count the times I've posted base alerts............and like 2 or 3 guys showed up.

Then later people whine about hordes taking bases.

You can see them coming for miles!!
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP