Author Topic: Wish for the week - Old strat system  (Read 2350 times)

Offline BuckP

• Nickel Member
Wish for the week - Old strat system
« on: November 02, 2011, 04:55:59 AM »
My wish for the week would be the return of the old strat system, having them sprinkled throughout each individual country like before, instead of lumped into the huge city.  There was always someone attacking them which brought on more fights.  More bombers were in the air working on their points and or perks, but again creating some fun bomber hunts in the process. The flak train would occasionally really screw you if you weren't paying attention (noe raid for example) while flying low, but was a fun touch to the game in my opinion.  Slow nights and the late crowd had more options for attack; and what a good time for just that with the 410 soon to be our new attack toy.

The cities are never attacked by a single plane, say a jug as an example, these days as the flight is too long to reach it and into too much enemy territory.  Routing a raid around a strat changed tactics for the attackers so as to not get the strat flashing.  On the other hand the noe raid might have sent one guy into the strat so as to not get the enemy riled up...."oh it's just a strat hor", and wham, 10 guys pop up. 

To sum up - the old strats created more options for everyone (attack them, hunt the attackers of them, tactics on and around them, etc.), allowed some ground attacking other than bases, was an easy way to gain perks for those who wanted more (to cover losses of perk planes, gaining perks for a certain plane, etc.), the flak train (was just cool I thought), and just brought another fight to the game overall.  I am certain that plenty of you disagree with me, but that is my wish - the old strat system back.

Buck

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
Re: Wish for the week - Old strat system
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 08:17:55 AM »
The current strat system is  a joke so I would  love to  see this.
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 08:18:48 AM »
+1
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 08:29:27 AM »
+1

I agree, I'd like to go back to seeing more Strat's added per side, instead of the typical 1 strat, why not add another and make it 2 for each.

If we double the factories and replace them (2 of every factory) then if one gets bombed the other still has out put, with both strat's being vast apart it would take both countries hitting the strats to do any real damage to one country's strat. Spaced apart enough that one person would have a hell of a time trying to bomb one strat, then fly across the entire country to bomb the other - which would invite interceptors, or simply fly so high the damage wouldn't be to much.

So overall, that's 10 factories per country on large maps while the HQ is still a single - and guarded by the Me163s. Also for future references to map building, a Large AF with some Alt could be placed near the factories to invite interceptors for those lovely astronaut bombers, as well as a launching point for bombers.

JG 52

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 08:46:22 AM »
Yep, factories once again sprinkled across the terrain would be nice. Supply lines that mean something - to attack and to defend - would be nice.

By the way, we still have trains...but since there's only one mega-city-strat, there's only one train.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 10:51:29 AM »
If memory serves the new strat situation was brought on in an attempt to make them a more viable target, the problem as I see it is that with in the confines of the "win the war" group the city and other strategic targets have no direct connection, or at least no perceived benefit to the accomplishment of their goals. 

For a while there we had "zone bases" that were airfields that had a direct impact on the resupply and thus rebuild times of the other airfields within their zone of influence.

I wonder what would happen we went back to a zone system but other than an airfield to be captures we instead had a factory or city complex that either would affect the rebuild times of the surround airfields, or even had to be reduced to a certain percentage before the affected fields could be captured?

Going to have to ponder this one for awhile.

80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline BuckP

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 03:19:19 PM »
That sounds right about the new system being an attempt to make a more viable target, but it really hasn't.  I believe that having the factories affect a zone again would be a great touch.  Again, brings us players more options in the game, which is more fun to be had.  Strats are not an option anymore, it was a loss to us going to the big city.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 04:05:29 PM »
I think the answer might be the old zone system but with the new city complex. I hate to see them wasted!
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 04:06:39 PM »
I've outlined a couple wishlist items before that integrated zones with the old individual strats, and the "mega strat" being tied into the zones for resupply.

That way we could have both, and both would be important for different reasons (i.e. a zone or front you want to bomb to help your team, or an overall bombing effort to harm the enemy production).

I think that would be best, a mix of both.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 04:21:33 PM »
I reckon bring back the old zone system, and add the new city with the factories. this would add an extra layer to the strat/supply system (and give us lots more trains!)

edit: rereading your post krusty I think we probably have the same thing in mind.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 04:23:20 PM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline chaser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
I would like to see something like whole strat city we have now for each separate strat. They could be spread out over the country like they used to and the whole city could be destructable and count towards the strat %. Can you imagine the huge B29 raids that would come to take them down?

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 07:15:48 PM »
Some good ideas here, I would love to see something change.

I have no plans to re-subscribe until something is done about the strat system.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline MAINER

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 07:46:48 PM »
+1
Are those our bombers?-famous last words

Member of the congregation of The church of David Wales

Offline tokenjo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 10:03:21 PM »
Where is that damn button.... Screw it ... +1.  I think its time to admit the single super
Strat didnt work.

Tokenjo

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 10:35:38 PM »
Was just thinking the same thing the other day.  +1  :aok

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC