Author Topic: who are u........  (Read 4297 times)

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
Re: who are u........
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2011, 01:12:23 PM »
I'm swamped in real life. Great wife, two kids, many employees and a few boses. My normal work week runs 50-80 hours, haven't had a real vacation in over five years. I love aviation, almost got a shot at being a Naval Aviator while in college but tearing up my ACL ended that, played tanks instead. As a kid I memorized everything I could about WW2. Facinated by the Pacific War, navy birds and defending the Reich against Allied hordes. My hero is Cpt David McCampbell, USN CMH. In one mission he downed 9 Japanese birds of prey.

When I fly I take it mostly serious. I am not a gammer at all. I've owned a couple computer games in the last 20 years but didn't play them much. I've played Playstation or Xbox two or three times in my life. I have seen Dirty Birds on the iphone, looks pathetic but since its on my wife's phone won't say that out loud.

At some level I am trying to balance this game being my only escape from all of my real life obligations and fighting the nerd within. I want to buy a track ir but have decided owning that is when Aces High finally owns me. Maybe, maybe I give in. Who knows but right now, much work to do. I have several reports and interviews to handle to ensure I have time tommorrow to wax Yarbles in his bloody Spit 9 over the Enemy Coast.  :banana:

No, I'm not addicted. Just confused. Born about forty years too late. Right now I should be in my late 80's, still flying this game but instead lecturing you pathetic gamers about how it was really done! And of course telling all you HO artists, snap out of it.

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2011, 10:59:48 AM »
some great answers guys, thanx and  :salute to those of you that understood.....
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2011, 01:19:30 PM »
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline 999000

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2011, 02:03:57 PM »
Integrity........same guy all the time.
999000 <S> :aok

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2011, 08:03:52 PM »
Integrity........same guy all the time.
999000 <S> :aok

UMMMMMM...................... ............................. ....NO!!!!!!!!!!!

SUM-A-BEEEEECHHHHHHHH WITH LAZER TARGETED .50's!!!!! that is what you is!!!!!  :neener:
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2011, 07:44:32 AM »
I was an aviation nut every since I was a kid.  I'm an old guy.  Somewhere in '97, a buddy showed me Air Warrior and I was doomed.  Been at it off and on ever since: AH since 2002.  Since I'm only an average fighter pilot, chasing red dots has mostly seemed silly to me.  To do what I can to help my country's war effort is what gets me going and is plain out and out fun.  Primarily, I'm a jabo pilot who is not interested in tossing their ord to chase that low la7.  After ord is gone, having exited enemy territory, I love to climb back up and hunt near my own field.

Spent a good deal of time in buffs and became proficient.  I love teaching new guys how to dive bomb accurately.  I know how frustrating it is to miss.  How frustrating it is to hit and not know why.

Now, the allure of the game is less the game itself but the friendships I've made over the years.  I try to keep my rank low enough to grab a CV when someone is doing something dumb.  That is, running the game straight into cartoon central.

<S> to all

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2011, 08:08:27 AM »
I've been a WWII plane nut ever since I read my first book. "The Flying Tigers" by John Toland. Yes, I still have it.

Got my first taste of flight simming in the early 80's with MS Flight Simulator on my buddies Apple Macintosh. Oh how we loved flying around those black and white pixelated skies and landing at Merrill Meigs field.

Around '90 or so I got to play F-19 Stealth Fighter on our IBM machine. (Can't remember which model). Of course this was around the time Prodigy came out so I had to fight Mom for seat time.  :lol

Then, I'd say '91 or '92 another friend introduced me to F-16 Fighting Falcon. I was blown away. Spent the next few months hammering migs for fun.

The next 17 years were computer dark ages for me. I didn't get another box until 2009, at which time I immediately invested in FSX and a Saitek ST290 joystick. It was heavenly. I took my Lear jet around the world and just had a high time in the various planes. (Over 1000 landings, not to mention the augers.  :O  :lol )

However, the time came that I wanted to shoot at something. I bought CFS3. It was fun for about a month, but I needed to shoot at a real person. The AI just didn't cut it.

A quick internet search led me to AH. I've been here off and on for almost 2 years now.

:salute

EDIT: The old ST290 started to give up the ghost, so I got a Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS. Love it.
See Rule #4

Offline kculon

• Copper Member
      • http://fotgfilms.com
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2011, 02:13:31 AM »
If I understand the question...
It's just a game to me, but the reason I stay and play is the friends I've made over the years.
I have traveled from the USA to Europe to meet my squadies in person, spent many years flying with the same guys.
They are my friends and I enjoy spending time with them, plus AH is just so damn fun.
~kc

Offline megadud

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2011, 04:46:24 AM »
I cry like a little kid that got his toy taken from him when i get shot down.

Offline Fud

• Nickel Member
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2011, 05:37:57 AM »
I'm like last night's dinner....just passing through :x
There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2011, 02:45:23 PM »
On the mountain I was told that I am what I am........
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2011, 02:48:22 PM »
On the mountain I was told that I am what I am........

You're POPEYE?  :rofl

Just joking, couldn't resist.
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2011, 02:49:44 PM »
You're POPEYE?  :rofl

(Image removed from quote.)

Just joking, couldn't resist.

Ahh from my younger years... memories.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2011, 03:22:30 PM »
I am a princess, just like real life.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2011, 05:05:20 PM »
i've been an airplane nut since i was a kid.   i remember when i was about 12, my family and i were headed to another family members house for christmas.  my mom gave me a bag of presents to carry to the car.   it just so happened that at this time we were re-modelling our house and adding a deck.  well, the deck had been built, but the railing had not yet been installed.   so, i walk out the door with this bag of presents held out in front of me.  i hear the drone of an airplane overhead, and, like always, my eyes are to the sky, and nothing else exists but that buzzing airplane.  well, i guess i forgot to stop walking and walked right off that deck and fell 8 feet face first onto the driveway.   you think bellyflops in the pool are bad, try one on your gravel driveway sometime!  :lol

airplane fetish aside, who i am in RL depends entirely on the day you find me in.   some days i'm the nicest guy in the world, some days i'm everybodys worst enemy.  some days im overly competitive, some days im all about "it doesnt matter if you win or lose".  i think that translates into the game at about the same ratio it manifests in my RL.  so i'd have to say that i'm about the same person in AH that i am in RL.    :rolleyes:
-AoM-