Author Topic: ICONS  (Read 2844 times)

Offline seano

• Copper Member
ICONS
« on: November 09, 2011, 10:31:14 PM »
since this game is on the more realistic side of flying and gun fighting, how about we lose the icons. theres not too many noobs here anymore and since the numbers are obviously down why not try it out for a week in the main arena.

or, since mid war and early war arenas are basically dead why not use one of those servers and try out a "no enemy  icon late war" arena. HTC, would it hurt to try?  you already lost a lot of people when you started the handi capping eny project. you already lost a lot of people arena capping. why not JUST TRY it out. would it really hurt that bad?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 11:40:36 PM by seano »

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
Re: ICONS
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 10:36:51 PM »
Your reasoning is crazy enough it just may work.
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline seano

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 10:41:52 PM »
and we can just have red , green, and yellow planes.  it really wouldnt be that difficult. yea the skins might be an issue. but really the only time you see your skin is sitting on the runway using f3 mode.  wheels up your plane changes into your countries colors. also only bad guys planes could be of color, and friendly planes could just show the regular skin. easy way to tell friend from foe.

Offline FBCrabby

• Nickel Member
      • AHFreebirds.com
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 10:48:29 PM »
Hit alt+I a few times and enjoy the no icons... :aok
AH-Freebirds.com - FB$ - Proud Squadron Of Aces High II

Actively Recruiting! - Join FB$ Today!

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 10:50:01 PM »
I agree, the icons are far too generous in AH's main arenas in more ways than 1.

I've asked for HTC to "test" things in the MA for a tour at a time for over 3 years now.  I doubt they will change their ways, they know best.

I've suggest icon range changes (for both gv and aircraft), burn rate changes, a differently tiered fuel system (results at 2nd fuel tank destroyed), a tiered ordnance damage scale (results at 1 ord bunker down instead of the "all or none" system AH currently has), change up the amount of dmg needed to destroy OBJ, etc, to name a few.

Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 10:51:17 PM »
If you want reality than we should keep the icons. In real life it's a lot easier to spot planes than on a computer screen, so we have the icons to compensate for that.

BTW this has been discussed a thousand times, take a look at some of the older threads.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline seano

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 11:11:41 PM »
i know its been discussed. just why not try it out. the ww1 and any other arena other than the late war main are just a waste of space. garunteed it would get more numbers than any of those.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 11:23:26 PM »
i know its been discussed. just why not try it out. the ww1 and any other arena other than the late war main are just a waste of space. garunteed it would get more numbers than any of those.
No.  It gives a huge advantage to those with better computers and screens.  Dot chasing is also not fun.

Why would it be good to split the already lower numbers into two arenas?

I am assuming you mean only no enemy icons, not no icons at all.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline seano

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 12:47:39 AM »
yes, no enemy icons. seen one of my friends first shooter games. only the goodguys had icons.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 12:53:23 AM »
Just my two cents, I flew a bit in the AvA when they were running no icon events and in general I found the whole process to be very frustrating.  Throw the MA numbers on top of that and you have absolutely zero SA, it would just be impossible and I wouldn't find it one bit enjoyable.

On the plus side I did like the effect of no icons and range estimation, certain reversals and other maneuvers were a little easier to pull off w/out the laser range finder icons.  No icons in that way had a very interesting effect on a dogfight when you got in close.   

All in all the frustrations of just not being able to see my opponent outweighed the interesting wrinkle it added to the engagements. 

Ideally I'd like to try a plane type and country icon with no range markers under 1K and see how that works out, I think it would pretty fun.

80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 02:49:14 AM »
Just my two cents, I flew a bit in the AvA when they were running no icon events and in general I found the whole process to be very frustrating.  Throw the MA numbers on top of that and you have absolutely zero SA, it would just be impossible and I wouldn't find it one bit enjoyable.

On the plus side I did like the effect of no icons and range estimation, certain reversals and other maneuvers were a little easier to pull off w/out the laser range finder icons.  No icons in that way had a very interesting effect on a dogfight when you got in close.   

All in all the frustrations of just not being able to see my opponent outweighed the interesting wrinkle it added to the engagements. 

Ideally I'd like to try a plane type and country icon with no range markers under 1K and see how that works out, I think it would pretty fun.

If you want such a realistic arena, why not just join AvA?
JG 52

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 02:56:39 AM »
since this game is on the more realistic side of flying and gun fighting, how about we lose the icons. theres not too many noobs here anymore and since the numbers are obviously down why not try it out for a week in the main arena.

or, since mid war and early war arenas are basically dead why not use one of those servers and try out a "no enemy  icon late war" arena. HTC, would it hurt to try?  you already lost a lot of people when you started the handi capping eny project. you already lost a lot of people arena capping. why not JUST TRY it out. would it really hurt that bad?
The AvA used to be no-icons.
People complained about it.
Now it has a 3k icon limit.
Same thing would happen to the MA's if they were taken away.
Just like people complained about night.

Offline TheRhino

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 03:15:14 AM »
Aircraft at 6K in real life look like aircraft, whereas aircraft at 6K on a moniter look like a dot. Keeping the icons would be a much better move, and if you don't want them, alt+I will help you out there  :aok
"May the Air Force be with you"

TheHawk, C.O. 457th 'Grey Nurse' SQN RAAF (Currently Inactive due to slow internet :( )

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 08:59:07 AM »
No-icons stems from an elitist (egotistic?) movement from the Ubisoft IL2 communities, where they think they are superior to others who use icons. Not only is this a false assumption that they cloak/disguise under the premise that they're just being more realistic, it's not comparable to AH in any way shape or form.

It is a FACT you can see a crapload better than any computer system in existence. Flying without icons is akin to flying while legally blind. You wouldn't be allowed in the cockpit let alone to go off to combat.

Further, the entire situation we have is a many-v-many situation. You're not going to have staged pre-set 3 v 3 like you might see in ubisoft's online servers, where 2 opposing flights engage each other from different pre-set front lines and predetermined directions. We can fly any nation's plane on any of the teams we have. Icons are an absolute necessity because of these facts. Even IF you could ID the planes visually (P.S. You can't...) you couldn't tell who's on your side vs the other side.

It's a nonsense request, and has been thoroughly reduced to such every time it's brought up.

Hitech himself (game creator) said it's not going to happen.

Please, everyone, stop requesting "no icons" for AH!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 09:17:31 AM »
theres not too many noobs here anymore

There are many hundreds of them each tour.  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman