Author Topic: Man Aloft Training...  (Read 2428 times)

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
Man Aloft Training...
« on: November 13, 2011, 09:32:58 AM »
Any of you old squids will remember something like this.

I was stationed on an aircraft carrier during the 90's.  Electronics Technician 2nd class.  Our division was in charge of the mast, since it was all of our gear that was on it (radars, antennas, etc).  So in order for someone to go up on the mast, they have to run a request, and be "Man Aloft Trained". 

Man aloft training consisted of, among other things, leaning how to put on a body harness and knowing how to hook on.  This is where it gets good.  The Chief running the training ALWAYS selected the newest, and smallest guy in the training to use as an example of how to put on the harness.  Once he had him all strapped in, he would pick him up, and hook him to one of the overhead pipes... and LEAVE HIM THERE ALL DAY.  All day long other sailors, even officers would come in and out of the shop and look at the poor guy hanging in the harness...  begging to get let down, and just grin. Sometimes spinning him around, or swinging him back and forth... then leave.

We would always let everyone in the department know that training had been conducted that day too... just to make sure everyone got a chance to mess with the guy in the harness.

***G3-MF***

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
Re: Man Aloft Training...
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 09:39:16 AM »
Not very nice, but funny :lol

:salute
BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 10:03:09 AM »
It would be more funny if it was a big guy since only spineless jerks pick on the little guy, but I guess I can see squids pickin on the little guy, the whole invertebrate thing shows through eventually.

:huh
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 10:38:28 AM »
It would be more funny if it was a big guy since only spineless jerks pick on the little guy, but I guess I can see squids pickin on the little guy, the whole invertebrate thing shows through eventually.

Big guys got sent out to look for "relative bearing grease" down in engineering, or to the mess decks to learn how to put on a Gaylord Hood....  or to get a bucket of steam... or down to personnel because they need to fill out their ID-10T form.

***G3-MF***

Offline M0nkey_Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 11:11:50 AM »
Big guys got sent out to look for "relative bearing grease" down in engineering, or to the mess decks to learn how to put on a Gaylord Hood....  or to get a bucket of steam... or down to personnel because they need to fill out their ID-10T form.
:lol
Kommando Nowotny "Tip of the dull butter knife"
delta07
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association of P-38 Pilots

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 11:17:29 AM »

oh geez...whatever  :rolleyes:  

ever get sent to find 100 feet of fallopian tube?
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 11:19:40 AM »

LMAO... I remember that one.  But in the electronics world it was A fallopian tube... like for a radar set  :rofl

***G3-MF***

Offline 2ADoc

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 11:34:21 AM »
One of our favorite things in the Army was to send the new guy for a box of grid squares, I actually had a kid get me a box one time.  He made a copy of a map and the cut it along the lines and came up with a 100 ct box of grid squares, NSN and all.
Takeoffs are optional, landings aren't
Vini Vedi Velcro
See Rule 4, 13, 14.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 01:26:05 PM »

No but I almost fell for it when I was told to go find a 50 ft spool of flight line.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 01:29:33 PM »
On our students first solo flight up to the practice area, sometimes they are issued a ziploc bag from life support to take high altitude air samples...

In the T-37 we'd have our students put their hands up on the canopy and *push*, to deform the canopy enough to make gentle turns.  They never saw us bumping the controls with our knees  :lol  Only works with side-by-side seating though, so that one doesnt' work in the T-6.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 01:30:47 PM »
We always used Case Stretcher or Sky Hook.

Sounds like the trainer in the OP taught that young man he can trust no one.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline WYOKIDIII

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 05:12:46 PM »
First day of A&P school we washed all our planes in the hanger. I sent a guy to the tool room for a bucket of propwash .
Sooo....What , are those guys here to kill you because God forgot too ?

Hank Venture

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 05:18:57 PM »
I was sent to get headlight fluid for the Humvees once.

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline allaire

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 05:24:22 PM »
I have heard of new privates getting sent to get batteries for the chemlights before.  Also box of grid squares, keys to the drop zone, cans of elbow grease and winter air for the tires.   :rofl
"I drank what?" -Socrates

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 07:36:34 PM »
back in the day the easiest one to get young boot camp fresh personnel to fall for, and spend a lot of time getting sent across the base by different people...keys to the jeep.

works on young second lieutenants too...  :devil
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett