Author Topic: Macchi C.200 Saetta  (Read 6163 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Macchi C.200 Saetta
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 10:26:49 AM »
A very cool pic:

(Image removed from quote.)

:D
Neat.  They do look like they come from different eras.  The Spitfire just looks a lot more powerful and modern.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline FBCrabby

• Nickel Member
      • AHFreebirds.com
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 05:43:40 PM »
see? uniqueness does count :D
AH-Freebirds.com - FB$ - Proud Squadron Of Aces High II

Actively Recruiting! - Join FB$ Today!

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 07:03:46 PM »
Ahh well, you obviously won't let facts get in the way of a knee jerk reaction. :)

(Image removed from quote.)

C.200 loses to Brewster in practically every measurable performance category.

Notes on the table above:

-Those weight are taken with both fighters carrying full internal fuel. Brewster carries 600liters of fuel while the C.200 carries roughly half of that and thus has significantly shorter range which means that in typical MA conditions Macchi is often forced to take 100% fuel while Brewster can take 50% which makes the difference in weights/wingloading/powerloading even bigger.

- When designing C.200 Castoldi chose a NACA airfoil which he then modified by sharpening the leading edge (clearly visible in the lowest pic of the OP). While this modification marginally reduced the drag of the wing it made the flow separation much more abrupt and therefore worsened the stall characteristics and lowerred the lift coefficient of the wing. Brewster uses an unmodified NACA airfoil with proper radius of curvature of the leading edge. C.200 gave Italian Air Force pilots that had been used to the lower wingloading biplane fighters their first experiences of accelerated stalls.

-----------------------------------

That said, C.200 is one of my definate favourites and I really really would like to see it sooner rather than later. I hope it is introduced with the updated C.202 and C.205. Many were produced and it saw a lot of combat. It is a cool looking fighter in its ugly sort of way and I would certainly fly it!

it doesnt matter if the c200 could outturn out fly, out run, or whatever any plane.  it just doesnt have the guns to damage anything.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2011, 07:49:07 PM »
it doesnt matter if the c200 could outturn out fly, out run, or whatever any plane.  it just doesnt have the guns to damage anything.

semp
I've shot a B-17G down in the C.202.  I've shot down two F4Us and driven a P-51D off with so much damage he wouldn't stay to fight all at the same time in the C.202.  The C.200 can carry the same two 12.7mm guns.  It most certainly can not on damage other aircraft, but do so fatally.

I think too many people are over reliant on heavy firepower.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 08:04:47 PM »

You obviously can't see a simple point.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2011, 08:55:48 PM »
+1 for C.200. :aok
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2011, 11:10:32 PM »
+1 for the C200

And gotta hurry before the "its only got MG's and I am sucky shot so the planes crap" crowd gets here  :rock

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC

Offline FBCrabby

• Nickel Member
      • AHFreebirds.com
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2011, 01:26:46 AM »
+1 for the C200

And gotta hurry before the "its only got MG's and I am sucky shot so the planes crap" crowd gets here  :rock

Hopefully they'll leave my C.200 alone - they should be busy whining about the Storch  :airplane:
AH-Freebirds.com - FB$ - Proud Squadron Of Aces High II

Actively Recruiting! - Join FB$ Today!

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2011, 01:35:06 AM »
I've shot a B-17G down in the C.202.  I've shot down two F4Us and driven a P-51D off with so much damage he wouldn't stay to fight all at the same time in the C.202.  The C.200 can carry the same two 12.7mm guns.  It most certainly can not on damage other aircraft, but do so fatally.

I think too many people are over reliant on heavy firepower.

but can you do it everytime?    I have gotten about 5 or 6 kills using the .303s in my spitfire when the cannon button got stuck and emptied all of it.  i have shot down airplanes using a single mg in the pony with less than 30 bullets.  hell once i nailed a p38 with about 10 bullets from my m3.  anything is possible but  point is normally it wont live long unless it has friends around.

look at the op's Yugoslavian campaign post.  it clearly indicates it didnt lose a single one in 11 days of combat.  pretty good isnt it?  but look closely at what it shot down.

if it gets added or not not really up to me nor do I really care.  but I was more commenting on some the players posting thinking that they will go on a killing spree with this plane.

semp
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 01:40:38 AM by guncrasher »

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2011, 09:00:37 AM »
but can you do it everytime?    I have gotten about 5 or 6 kills using the .303s in my spitfire when the cannon button got stuck and emptied all of it.  i have shot down airplanes using a single mg in the pony with less than 30 bullets.  hell once i nailed a p38 with about 10 bullets from my m3.  anything is possible but  point is normally it wont live long unless it has friends around.
I am not nearly good enough to do it every time with quad 20mm cannons, so no, I can't promise to do it every time.  However, even doing it once invalidates your claim that it didn't have the guns to damage anything.

Out of curiosity, where is the cutoff line for firepower in your opinion?  Does the Ki-44 with four 12.7mm machine guns pass the test?  Do you need a F6F's six .50s to get a passing grade?  Are 20mm cannons required?
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2011, 10:37:52 AM »
I am not nearly good enough to do it every time with quad 20mm cannons, so no, I can't promise to do it every time.  However, even doing it once invalidates your claim that it didn't have the guns to damage anything.

Out of curiosity, where is the cutoff line for firepower in your opinion?  Does the Ki-44 with four 12.7mm machine guns pass the test?  Do you need a F6F's six .50s to get a passing grade?  Are 20mm cannons required?

it doesn't matter what the cutoff is, the reality us this plane sucked in ww2 and that was against not even the best planes available at the time and some players here think they will land dozens of kills.

semp

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2011, 10:43:45 AM »
it doesn't matter what the cutoff is, the reality us this plane sucked in ww2 and that was against not even the best planes available at the time and some players here think they will land dozens of kills.
now take a chill pill and rethink what you said.
No friggen one thinks he will land more than 2-3 in this aircraft.
Not everyone flyes only ENY5 wonders like you. You perfectly reflect the majority's mentality tho.
cheers, damn it
AoM
City of ice

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2011, 11:17:37 AM »

semp
I agree it is a niche aircraft, but it was one of the most used Italian fighters and thus ought to be in the game.  Additionally, in its favor, it would reuse much of the artwork of the C.202/C.205, making it cheaper in hours to add.

There are not a whole lot of really powerful fighters left to add.  As that well dries up players will have to accept that new additions will not be common sights in the LWA.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Helm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2011, 12:37:59 PM »
I vote yes!

Helm...out
XO of ^"^Nazgul^"^
Proudly serving since campaign #13
"No Rain?" ...."No Rainbow, baby!" ....Bootsey Collins 2009

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2011, 09:27:31 PM »
now take a chill pill and rethink what you said.
No friggen one thinks he will land more than 2-3 in this aircraft.
Not everyone flyes only ENY5 wonders like you. You perfectly reflect the majority's mentality tho.
cheers, damn it

you shouldda complained about it when i was flying the pony along with the spits next to you.  but then again just like bunnies and challenged you guys soon forget  :uhoh.

semp