Author Topic: Game Play question.  (Read 7873 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Game Play question.
« Reply #150 on: January 07, 2012, 03:31:41 PM »
Chilli,

Be carefull what you ask for. The hoards have gotten more experienced now. If you reduce the white flag percentage so it takes a small number to capture feilds, the hoards will not disband. They will organise multiple assaults and capture more territory faster. And as usual dissapere in a moment onward to the next feild capture. We will be playing Whack-A-Mole all night trying to find a standing fight. It was getting close to that the last time the white flag percentage was lowered.

My own squad was getting the timing down to drop the town with a Lanc patteren'd pass, then clean up ack and run in troops. You want to give this speed capturing abillity to the vTards now that they are more experienced and never stay around to defend what they capture? Notice FBDred has been getting back into mission mode lately? He will definantly exploit a lower white flag percentage and we all now how experienced the FreeBirds are at missions.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #151 on: January 07, 2012, 04:03:37 PM »
Chilli,

Be carefull what you ask for. The hoards have gotten more experienced now. If you reduce the white flag percentage so it takes a small number to capture feilds, the hoards will not disband. They will organise multiple assaults and capture more territory faster. And as usual dissapere in a moment onward to the next feild capture. We will be playing Whack-A-Mole all night trying to find a standing fight. It was getting close to that the last time the white flag percentage was lowered.

My own squad was getting the timing down to drop the town with a Lanc patteren'd pass, then clean up ack and run in troops. You want to give this speed capturing abillity to the vTards now that they are more experienced and never stay around to defend what they capture? Notice FBDred has been getting back into mission mode lately? He will definantly exploit a lower white flag percentage and we all now how experienced the FreeBirds are at missions.

You seem to be placing the "vtards" in a "less valid" category than your "vpigs". I will say I find both of your styes identical in #s, skill and intent!    good for you  :salute

I think chillis idea has merit, when the hordes were smaller there were many more creative ways that folks use to capture bases before the changes. With that said I still don't think chillis idea would have the same affect now, cause peeps have learned the "horde way" and I don't believe you, vtards or any others will change now. The only thing that will matter is IF the defenders can be motivated to contest the base. If this was to happen then you guys would find more creative and covert ways to gain territory other than horde and that would only improve the game for all!

Find a way to motivate defenders in reasonable #s and you have a fix! Once defenders get involved then discussion can begin about making captures easier etc. etc.

JUGgler
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 04:42:17 PM by JUGgler »
Army of Muppets

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #152 on: January 07, 2012, 05:46:58 PM »
If anything the town should require more damage to get a white flag.

My opinion.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline ScottyK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #153 on: January 07, 2012, 06:16:06 PM »
If anything the town should require more damage to get a white flag.

My opinion.

Then the # of the people in the so called hordes increase, in another thread i posted that the number of bases to win the war be decreased and add a % of the strats being knocked down (hopefully zones strats being brought back) in order to win the war.
Childhood is over the moment you know your gonna die.  Fight not to Fail, or end up like the others.   In my crate, im the commander.

IGN: Scotty57

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #154 on: January 08, 2012, 09:47:08 AM »
I don't remember exactly how the old strat system worked and Iv'e only waded through half the pages in this thread so this may have been mentioned or tried before.

If the main motivation for capture is to win the war, another one is to slap each other on the back after seeing "Rooks captured field A21."

So change it to a capture the sector game rather than capture the base.

In a given sector, you have bases, factories, and cities.

The bases have to be taken and the strats have to be taken down to a percentage, before you get the announcement "Rooks have captured sector 12"

Surely there is a finite size of a horde that can be mustered up. So they have to spread out over a larger area and have to defend their newly won bases, while trying to get control of the rest of the sector.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 08, 2012, 09:51:40 AM »
I don't remember exactly how the old strat system worked

It worked basically the same as the current one, only that on large maps we had a several cities & factories (one of each type for every zone) instead of a single strategic cluster. Small maps had always been just one single zone, the factories had been just more dispersed over the map.

In fact, on a map like Ozkansas (up in LW at the moment), a country isoften even more vulnerable to strategic warfare than with the old system... it's just that nobody cares ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #156 on: January 09, 2012, 10:13:13 AM »
I'd respectfully submit that there is no 'motivator' that will push people to up into a horde.  Perks are my main score motivator, so I tend to fly higher ENY stuff when I'm thinking about it, but I hop around from plane to plane and planeset to planeset depending on my whims.  Often, I fly the week's FSO ride or possible rides before Friday.

However, even though I like perks, that's not what makes me up and head toward a horde.  I do it because I find it fun, and I know when I get there, there will be enemy planes to kill.  I assume people who fly in the horde in low ENY planes aren't there for the perks or the score, they're there to take the base.  If you got 10 fighter perks for getting shot down in a goon, it wouldn't make me fly troops any more often because I don't find that part of the game fun.  I believe most people are similar.  They do what they find fun, or what they think the 'objective' is.

I think history shows in the game that a side that concentrates on defense winds up losing the war fairly consistently.  I believe this is why people tend to horde roll, because it is the most effective way to win, in the absence of a truly coordinated offensive/defensive strategy.

Wiley.

I like fighting..... the war means nothing except to folks who can't get those few perks any other way. IMHO of course.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #157 on: January 09, 2012, 10:16:36 AM »
To me there has to be a problem for a solution. I see no problem. Honestly many of you seem to be chasing a dream of what once was(in your own mind). Its like crack addicts trying to get a high like their first high. Just chasing the dragon.

Like I said before you can still find whats listed on the first page in this game right now.

:aok

Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #158 on: January 09, 2012, 11:03:49 AM »
That's the problem I see wiley, most people don't want to fight against a horde, so they join them instead making the horde problem worst. Players like you and I and shuff go head long onto the horde because that is where the only fight is. If on the other hand there was some incentive to have those that normally wouldn't up against the horde do so, it would create better fights as well as pull people out of the hordes.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 11:05:31 AM by The Fugitive »

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #159 on: January 09, 2012, 11:29:18 AM »
Maybe the whole thing boils down to "OFFENSIVE mindedness". Maybe most folks just prefer being the "ATTACKER" per say, looking at the bigger picture. Maybe most don't see how defending is also attacking and has some "offensive" qualities to it.

Going back to my original idea of a delay from the time troops enter till the base actually changes hands would create a sense of "OFFENSIVE mindedness, an opportunity to "counter attack" for the original defenders.

Lets get some dynamic game play up in here!!   :rock

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #160 on: January 09, 2012, 12:02:03 PM »

Going back to my original idea of a delay from the time troops enter till the base actually changes hands would create a sense of "OFFENSIVE mindedness, an opportunity to "counter attack" for the original defenders.

...Why, when they can horde a base 2 sectors over that doesn't have a large angry cloud of red planes hovering over it?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #161 on: January 09, 2012, 12:13:10 PM »
Maybe the whole thing boils down to "OFFENSIVE mindedness". Maybe most folks just prefer being the "ATTACKER" per say, looking at the bigger picture. Maybe most don't see how defending is also attacking and has some "offensive" qualities to it.

Lets get some dynamic game play up in here!!   :rock

JUGgler

Yes.... when you fight off an attacking horde at a field and push them back, it goes to pot if or when you have to reup and fly all the way over to where the fight has been pushed. lol I usually go look for another flashing base.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #162 on: January 09, 2012, 12:43:23 PM »
...Why, when they can horde a base 2 sectors over that doesn't have a large angry cloud of red planes hovering over it?

Wiley.

Well cause if it is not defended then the counter attackers will have an easy recapture, I don't think the original attackers will like that very much, hence creating some "OFFENSE, attack" and "DEFENSE, defend" for both sides in the fight for the same base!

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #163 on: January 09, 2012, 12:44:58 PM »
Yes.... when you fight off an attacking horde at a field and push them back, it goes to pot if or when you have to reup and fly all the way over to where the fight has been pushed. lol I usually go look for another flashing base.

Me too shuff, but there is much complaining about hordes from those who do little about against hordes!  Just trying to help  :cheers:

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #164 on: January 09, 2012, 12:52:03 PM »
Well cause if it is not defended then the counter attackers will have an easy recapture, I don't think the original attackers will like that very much, hence creating some "OFFENSE, attack" and "DEFENSE, defend" for both sides in the fight for the same base!

JUGgler

I think it's a pretty large assumption that a large group would head toward a recently rolled base to retake it against opposition given the possibility of rolling an undefended base on their own.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11